Turnbacks....

Those crazy Hungarians. (I assume from the web address in the lower right....)

I don't recognize the airplane; one of the later comments claims it is a motorglider.

The air is different there. It provides more lift.

Yeah uh, I don't think I'll try that.

Attachments

• grumpy_cat__nope_by_imwithstoopid13-d624kvl.jpg
    grumpy_cat__nope_by_imwithstoopid13-d624kvl.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 7
What type of motorglider cannot climb?

From the start of the video, until engine failure, the altimeter goes from 700 to almost 800 feet. Unless he's holding it down to gain speed, or the altimeter is broken (which might explain why he is tapping it), that aircraft has a TERRIBLE rate of climb.

I think he's tapping it as a checklist item. "Must have X altitude for this maneuver."

SF-25 motor glider with a huge landing area with hardly any high obstacles. Not too difficult. When I trained in sailplanes, any emergencies above 200 ft we could cut away and easily get back to the field.

An airplane with far less L/D ratio isn't going to be able to do turn arounds like this vid.

Different AI...
Noticed that. I thought they don't allow those anymore (I guess at least not in the U.S.)

I can see if you have enough altitude to gain airspeed to make the steep turn back so you don't stall. Not the safest thing to teach. Like said, depends on airplane and airport.

We train turnarounds all the time from 200ft AGL. Glider, L/d of 23/1, 60-65knt speed, not your span can power trainer with a 7/1 L/d.

Back