Turn Key Fuel Station for Airport

dmount76

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
dmount76
Our local airport hasn't had fuel for over a decade. Wheatland, WY (KEAN). I just got the blessing of the airport board to get bids for installing a self-serve fuel system. Certainly Av gas but possibly jet A as well. Does anyone know of any companies or systems they would recommend we look into? Thanks in advance.

What's the budget? How many gallons? There are some neat systems that are self contained on skids.

We are looking into options so don't have a budget yet. It is a small airport so I'm guessing on the lower end side. Just trying to get a range of options and what this will take. I found U-Fuel - looks promising. Looking for other options and experiences. Many have said navigating the FAA is a nightmare on this. I would hope a company with a turn key system would be some help on that. Thanks

When it comes to the size, keep in mind how Avgas is getting delivered. It doesn't come from the pipeline rack along with all the other fuels but it gets trucked in from a few distribution points. There is a substantial difference in price between buying a full load, half load and 'retail' amounts. At times smaller airports will band together to buy a full tanker or a split-load at a time.
I would start by talking to the company that supplies the airports in your area. They may have a vendor for the fuel-skid.

You need $100k or you are dead in the water. Your local county is gonna want to know all about your plans. Get the one on the skids that is self contained.

You will need an employee, part time at least. Fuel needs constant checking and maintenance.

While the actual installation process is relatively simple, complying with the endless slate of codes and regulations will be a nightmare.

All companies that sell self serve units will tell you it will pay for itself. What they don't tell you is it might take 200,000 gallons a year to pay for itself in 5 years. A good analysis of how much you will sell monthly/yearly will be a big help.

Your best bet is to find a company that not only installs the unit but also does the compliance work for you.

Don't let us discourage you, it can be done, but if you still have hair on your head, don't expect to keep it...:lol:

thanks for the input. Seems surprising it is such a hassle given that most small airports seem to have fuel. I feel like we are one of the only airports with a good length paved runway that doesn't have a fuel option on site. Please keep the tips coming.

We are looking into options so don't have a budget yet. It is a small airport so I'm guessing on the lower end side. Just trying to get a range of options and what this will take. I found U-Fuel - looks promising. Looking for other options and experiences. Many have said navigating the FAA is a nightmare on this. I would hope a company with a turn key system would be some help on that. Thanks

If you are contemplating the airport using federal money for it there will be many questions asked. If there has been any fuel system before, you automatically will get a no. If this is a federally obligated airport going through the airport consultant is the way to go.

There is a fairly sizeable FAA funding project going on now at the airport through this spring that is re-doing the runway. The engineers have said no money is available for fuel.

One has to wonder if thevairport has not had fuel in a decade if there is sufficient demand to justify the capital expense.

Seems surprising it is such a hassle given that most small airports seem to have fuel

How long has those systems been in place? Requirements were a lot more lax back then than they are now. It is a lot easier to update and older fuel system than to start from scratch.

At my home airport the fuel tanks are underground. Cost wise it was less expensive to update that system (leak detectors) rather than replace it.

If there are any abandoned underground tanks on the airport those will have to be removed and the soil will have to be checked to determine if there is or has been any previous leakage. And the current management of the airport will be billed for that.

Like I said, it can be done. There are companies that will do the required paper work, make sure all requirements are met and chase the required permits for you.

making some calls to neighboring airports this morning. Hopefully result in some leads

Back in 2012, with two others we looked at a mogas solution.
The cheapest solution at the time for low volume was actually not a skid but a used fuel truck. You needed a special pump to handle moving the load from the delivery truck to the fuel truck.
Note, we were only looking at partial delivery loads.

Tim

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

I know the guy who owns the fuel pumps at Platte Valley, CO ... can put you in touch with him if you would like.

I second the used fuel truck idea. Park it in a spill containment area. You can drive it to another field when they are getting fuel to get yours and save on delivery. Post a NOTAM when no fuel available.

One thing you have to budget for is a cell phone bill for the credit card reader.

I second the used fuel truck idea. Park it in a spill containment area. You can drive it to another field when they are getting fuel to get yours and save on delivery. Post a NOTAM when no fuel available.

One thing you have to budget for is a cell phone bill for the credit card reader.

Just make sure you get a truck that can drive on the road then. Most fuel trucks on airports do NOT meet DOT requirements to drive on public roads.

Tim

I really like Rigby Idaho airport (U56) fuel option... it is a tank and pump on the back of a truck, get the clipboard off the wall in the office that has the radio freq as teh combo to the lock, fill out the clipboard for the starting gal data, and after filling add the ending data, add your name, tail number, address, and about 3 to 6 months later a bill will come in the mail.... low maintenance, and self serve all the way. and a great price!...

I like the seaplane fuel at Ocean Falls, BC.
Just a long hose with a valve from the tank up the hill. Fill your tanks...............guess the amount of fuel you took................fill out the credit card machine...........go flying.
No meter......All on the honor system!!!

Last time we priced a self-service fueling station for our airport it was about $90,000. That was a few years ago. This does not include preparation of the site for compliance with federal and state codes for containment and spill management. It is difficult, but not impossible to get grants to help capitalize this kind of infrastructure. Quite a few airports in my region have self-fueling stations. We'd like to get one for 100LL if we could figure out how to capitalize it. The ROI is very long unless you have high volume.

If you are contemplating the airport using federal money for it there will be many questions asked. If there has been any fuel system before, you automatically will get a no. If this is a federally obligated airport going through the airport consultant is the way to go.
If only there was an airport consultant on the board ...

And the bill to insure a tanker truck for pollution liability. Oh, and you'll need a class B driver with a hazmat endorsement to move the thing around.

Oh, and before you buy an old airport fuel bowser, make sure your fuel supplier is willing and equipped to pump into something that is not a fixed fuel farm. Bulk tankers may not have an on-board pump and rely either on gravity for below grade tanks or a client side loading pump for above-ground tanks.

Last edited:
And the bill to insure a tanker truck for pollution liability. Oh, and you'll need a class B driver with a hazmat endorsement to move the thing around.

That varies by state and by volume of fuel moved per trip. Where I was based previously, a jump zone on a grass field would make regular fuel pickups, I think 4 barrels at a time, no CDL required. So check with your state DOT. They just used the same barrels over and over, filled at our pump; no idea how they moved it unto their elevated, gravity-fed system.

That varies by state and by volume of fuel moved per trip. Where I was based previously, a jump zone on a grass field would make regular fuel pickups, I think 4 barrels at a time, no CDL required. So check with your state DOT. They just used the same barrels over and over, filled at our pump; no idea how they moved it unto their elevated, gravity-fed system.

The suggestion here was to buy a fuel tanker instead of installing a fixed fuel station. I dont think the town is going to haul fuel in barrels.

But yes, in some cases, less than 440lbs of hazmat can be transported without a hazmat endorsement. There is also a 'materials of trade' exemption and some rules about transporting anhydrous and diesel fuel for genuine farm purposes. But if you drive a 1500Gal or 4000Gal on-highway gasoline tanker filled with product for re-sale, you are going to need all the relevant pieces of federal and state paper.

Back