Turn & bank indicator indicating opposite turns

I would have thought a PP could fix this under the "plug and play" rules.
The "plug and play" preventive maintenance rule applies only to "self-contained, front instrument panel-mounted navigation and communication devices that employ tray-mounted connectors that connect the unit when the unit is installed into the instrument panel," The T&B instrument isn't such a device.

I guess, I should have a FAR/AIM bedside when I even think about aviation. (Sarcasm)

...It always bothers me when people call the Turn Indicator a Turn and Bank...

While I understand your point that is the nomenclature the instrument was given. I suppose that when they adopted the little airplane symbol to replace the needle they felt it would be prudent to call it a Turn Coordinator and drop the "Bank" so as to prevent anyone from getting the wrong idea of what they were looking at.

The "plug and play" preventive maintenance rule applies only to "self-contained, front instrument panel-mounted navigation and communication devices that employ tray-mounted connectors that connect the unit when the unit is installed into the instrument panel," The T&B instrument isn't such a device.

Hey, if I follow that wire long enough I'll get to the landing light :)

He said "electronic regulator" would be damaged by the reverse polarity. There's NO electronic regulator. The centrifugal switch is not an electronic regulator, it's purely mechanical-electrical. Further, it gives not a hoot as to which way the gyro is spinning which is why it worked just fine (albeit backwards).

It always bothers me when people call the Turn Indicator a Turn and Bank. Turn and Slip is closer. It really doesn't show bank directly.
I understand that sentiment, but I think the original theory of instrument flying taught by Howard Stark had the pilot turning with rudder to achieve the standard rate then banking to center the "ball-bank indicator" (inclinometer), hence, "turn and bank". Sperry originally dubbed the T&B a "Turn Indicator" though. There's some interesting weather observations in the above link re: flight through T-storms. :eek:

dtuuri

Back