Turkish Airlines #1951

Complacency... failure to monitor the airspeed.

Would it not have been prudent, when they got the stick-shaker that low, to have gone TOGA?

Turbine / 121 folks -what is your standard procedure at this point (assuming you would not have caught the decaying airspeed)?

Complacency... failure to monitor the airspeed.
I know the situation was different but I could see similarities to another recent accident where the pilots failed to monitor their airspeed.

When in a computerized ship, and a instrument fails, one consults the AFM for the appropriate list. In this case, it would have said to disable autothrottles for approach to landing.

This is a crew error. Fortuantely the inbound 747 to SFO had a senior skipper who knew the smell was wrong. #1951 did not have the same benefit. http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36279&highlight=ptsd

Another thing I want to add is that I think the value at looking at these accidents is not so we can say to ourselves, "Look at what these idiots did! I would never do that!" I think what we should take away is a cautionary tale. They are/were humans just like you and me and it could also happen to us if we are not careful.

Another thing I want to add is that I think the value at looking at these accidents is not so we can say to ourselves, "Look at what these idiots did! I would never do that!" I think what we should take away is a cautionary tale. They are/were humans just like you and me and it could also happen to us if we are not careful.

Mari:

From my point of view, if you cannot place yourself in the position of the pilot(s) in an accident report, cannot imagine yourself making the same errors, you ought not to fly any more.

I used to know it all, but that has changed as I get older.

There's a reason the NRC (and 28 years prior to that, Naval Reactors) is allergic to things that go 1-0-1-0 in the night. Sometimes, especially when when bells and whistles are attached that make things happen, the wrong things happen...

I don't think the Nuclear Regulatory Commission will ever allow digital automation in our lifetime.

Back