Turbo Failed at FL210

Thats the part I would have worried about. Something common to both sides. Great flying and getting on the ground safely!

The only thing that would be common to both sides is fuel, and even the fuel tanks are technically independent. There is no otherwise shared resources between the engines.

I wouldn’t be worried about the second engine failing.

As to other posted questions, the STEC 3100 handled the airplane perfectly.

I assume you had to crank in full left rudder trim? Does the 414 have enough trim to fly 'feet off"? I guess it depends on your airspeed?

C.

I assume you had to crank in full left rudder trim? Does the 414 have enough trim to fly 'feet off"? I guess it depends on your airspeed?

C.
Actually we didn’t put in any rudder trim and flew hands off until short final. 3100 has yaw damp. Very little rudder needed while flying. Taxiing on one was another matter.

There we (my son Lane and I) were Tuesday morning cruising fat, dumb and happy in my C414 at FL210 returning home to Atlanta from Burnet, TX where we had spent a day of recurrent sim training.

If there is such a thing as good timing for a turbo to go out this is probably it. Nicely done!

When I took Malibu initial training, I remember one of the discussions was something like "There are three basic ways to lose turbocharging. One of these is benign, but two of them could cause a fire and require an immediate landing. Unfortunately, from the cockpit, you can't tell which type it is."
A few years ago, an A36 flying out of here had a v band failure, on the hot side, on initial climb out. It didn’t end well

Found this (same mag has a 2013 article but I thought this one better)

https://www.aviationsafetymagazine.com/features/busted-boost/

One thing I'd read a while back that if you have an induction hose pop off (pretty common), the engine will have a much lower intake pressure (ie less air) so the engine will be running, but way too rich. Can partially resolve by agressive leaning.

414 still in Louisiana. A little delay waiting on the correct turbo attachment bolts. Hopefully can recover the plane next week. Still stressed.

Congratulations on excellent airmanship. I also want to note the coffee cup visible in the first picture - quality piloting right there!

Just looked at the pictures in more detail (looking for the coffee cup, I admit). I notice the prop and mixture is pulled for the right engine but not the throttle. I’m curious as to why? No criticism here, just wondering.

Just looked at the pictures in more detail (looking for the coffee cup, I admit). I notice the prop and mixture is pulled for the right engine but not the throttle. I’m curious as to why? No criticism here, just wondering.
Excellent observation and question. (BTW there’s another Easter egg in there for the sharp eyed). When flying a twin you’re accustomed to having two levers in your hand. It feels unnatural to just be holding one. The engine’s shut down anyway so it’s not an issue to have them both where they normally are and move them together.

To keep the gear horn quiet.

Excellent observation and question. (BTW there’s another Easter egg in there for the sharp eyed). When flying a twin you’re accustomed to having two levers in your hand. It feels unnatural to just be holding one. The engine’s shut down anyway so it’s not an issue to have them both where they normally are and move them together.

Makes sense. I've only got about 15 hours multi so far. Lots to learn...

(BTW there’s another Easter egg in there for the sharp eyed).

The pilot side stand by attitude indicator showing a very steep climb to the left.??

Both cyl temp gauges are almost red lined even though one engine is not running.??

You're wearing your wife's underwear.??

Bingo. The standby AI went crazy just as we left. The factory CHT gauges aren’t connected to probes so they go full scale. I wanted the JPI engine monitor probe to have the proper hole in that cylinder.

Wives wear underwear???

Bingo. The standby AI went crazy just as we left. The factory CHT gauges aren’t connected to probes so they go full scale. I wanted the JPI engine monitor probe to have the proper hole in that cylinder.

Wives wear underwear???
Wives usually do. Girlfriends don't. Something usually changes after the wedding lol.

Back