Turbo 206 no logs

David Augspurger

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Dirtracer35
Found a restart T206H for sale. It is run out and needs to have the engine and the prop overhauled.
The aircraft was Mexican registered so there is no FAA history at all. The seller has it in annual and legal to fly. It has an N number on it now and it is FAA registered. I just wanted to get some opinions as to the value reduction with the no History. The aircraft looks original, the seller says
it has been based at his airport since new.

Thanks
David

Times, avionics, condition, etc

But that things sounds sketchy as hell lol

Does it have a US airworthiness certificate yet? Registering and painting on an N number is the easy part. It will need a conformity check by either a FAA ASI or a DAR. The lack of records will complicate this.

Heck if they forgot a brick of coke in the tail somehwere you might actually come up ontop of this deal lol

No logs, lived in MX, and 1925TT

Dude, PLEASSSSSE let me know if you're EVER are in the market for ANYTHING, you were the guy who paid for my flight training back when I was working sales lol

Do you..really....believe that???

5 bucks and a beer say that thing is closer to 10,000TT

So what was the excuse was to why the logs went AWOL?

No logs, lived in MX, and 1925TT

Dude, PLEASSSSSE let me know if you're EVER are in the market for ANYTHING, you were the guy who paid for my flight training back when I was working sales lol

Do you..really....believe that???

5 bucks and a beer say that thing is closer to 10,000TT

So what was the excuse was to why the logs went AWOL?

Maybe they “forgot” to log all the “cargo” flights at 100 AGL...

It does seem like we get quite a few post about people wanting advice on buying sketchy aircraft to save a buck, and wanting POA to make them feel better about it.

1lobc3.jpg

A good mechanic with Cessna experience will be able to tell whether the plane has 2,000 hours or 10,000 hours pretty quickly. If the airframe checks out and the engine-prop get changed out? It may be a great airplane. The plane is what it is. Log books don’t change that.

A good mechanic with Cessna experience will be able to tell whether the plane has 2,000 hours or 10,000 hours pretty quickly. If the airframe checks out and the engine-prop get changed out? It may be a great airplane. The plane is what it is. Log books don’t change that.

You are trying to introduce waay too much reason here.

Exactly, and the others will bad mouth it.

STOP, it hurts, too much sense.

Pretty simple if you ask me. Get a good A/P and take a little trip. If it looks good, and you can afford a loss if it turns out to be a lemon, buy it. If you can't afford the loss, walk away. Either way, you're going to lose the cost of the trip and the A/Ps time.

As was mentioned up thread, the presence of log books doesn't improve the condition of the plane, it only lessens the perception of risk. Even if the logbooks were there, who's to say they aren't a pack of lies?

Buy a used aircraft will always be a risk. The exchange for increased risk is less cost. I wish I had the knowledge to tell you how much you can devalue the plan because of the absence of logs, as that was your main question. If it were me, I'd start with the market value of similar aircraft with mid-time engine/prop, subtract 25% off for both lack of logs, and that it was coming from Mexico, then subtract the cost of a new engine and prop install, plus 10%. Start there and see what happens.

Pretty simple if you ask me. Get a good A/P and take a little trip. If it looks good, and you can afford a loss if it turns out to be a lemon, buy it. If you can't afford the loss, walk away. Either way, you're going to lose the cost of the trip and the A/Ps time.

As was mentioned up thread, the presence of log books doesn't improve the condition of the plane, it only lessens the perception of risk. Even if the logbooks were there, who's to say they aren't a pack of lies?

Buy a used aircraft will always be a risk. The exchange for increased risk is less cost. I wish I had the knowledge to tell you how much you can devalue the plan because of the absence of logs, as that was your main question. If it were me, I'd start with the market value of similar aircraft with mid-time engine/prop, subtract 25% off for both lack of logs, and that it was coming from Mexico, then subtract the cost of a new engine and prop install, plus 10%. Start there and see what happens.
Subtracting the cost of a new engine and propellor from pretty much any single engine GA aircraft puts you in negative territory even before the 25% off, doesn't it?

What's the saying? You're buying the engine and the airframe gets thrown in as part of the deal.

Subtracting the cost of a new engine and propellor from pretty much any single engine GA aircraft puts you in negative territory even before the 25% off, doesn't it?

What's the saying? You're buying the engine and the airframe gets thrown in as part of the deal.
That saying is less accurate when you're talking about desirable work aircraft like the C206 and C185, especially if they were built in the 80's or later. Those airframes, especially the restart series, are in demand in many areas. The C206 dominates the air taxi market in Alaska and that is a very energetic market.

The 206H could be as old as 1998 or as new as 2017. Maybe a good deal if the owner understands what it is going to take to build new logs and prices it accordingly.

Cessna206HStationairG1000InstrumentPanel.jpg

2005 T206H instrument panel.

I have only flown one and I enjoyed it.

Thanks for all the replies I fully understand that it is risky to purchase the aircraft. The 25% figure gives me something to go to the seller with. I think the aircraft with an overhauled engine and prop will be ok. The question is what is the value. A good prebuy inspection can shed a lot of light on the condition. The aircraft appears to have original paint and interior.
Thanks
David

The value is what you are willing to pay for it.

It can't hurt to get it appraised by someone who knows 206's really well. Then you'll have an idea what your near term costs are going to be.

Then send the seller a season of Airplane Repo. That way he'll understand that the log books HALF the value of the plane.

Okay, only one of those comments was serious. @mscard88 will explain which one.

The base price of a new T206 is $665,000 dollars. If you could give us a ballpark figure of what the seller is asking it would help immensely. Without that information all the "advice" is useless as there's no frame of reference for price/value. I assume you're playing your cards close to your chest so another member of POA doesn't jump on the deal first.
Asking questions and expecting to receive an reasonable answer without accurate information doesn't do you a whole lot of good. We know what a new engine, prop, radios, paint etc. cost and without the seller's asking price NOBODY can give you an accurate assessment as to the aircrafts value. Also, even that information without a proper inspection performed by a qualified A&P familiar with the type is useless. Much more due diligence is needed before you step into this deal. Caveat Emptor.

The base price of a new T206 is $665,000 dollars. If you could give us a ballpark figure of what the seller is asking it would help immensely. Without that information all the "advice" is useless as there's no frame of reference for price/value. I assume you're playing your cards close to your chest so another member of POA doesn't jump on the deal first.
Asking questions and expecting to receive an reasonable answer without accurate information doesn't do you a whole lot of good. We know what a new engine, prop, radios, paint etc. cost and without the seller's asking price NOBODY can give you an accurate assessment as to the aircrafts value. Also, even that information without a proper inspection performed by a qualified A&P familiar with the type is useless. Much more due diligence is needed before you step into this deal. Caveat Emptor.

That's the new price.

Back