Turbine Legend to OSH

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
These two guys dropped in for a fuel stop. Dan Williams happens to be based at Santa Paula, an area I know well. Nice guys.

The engine is a Walter...a Russian knock-off of the PT-6. 750 SHP.

Two questions for y'all: (If you know, don't answer just yet please.)

#1: What is the function of the "hockey puck" on the main gear leg?

#2: There is a hollow tube running into the aft end of the canopy but ther is no opening to the exterior of the plane. A gas runs through the tube. What is the tube for?

Attachments

• Airplanes 120.jpg
    Airplanes 120.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 73
  • Airplanes 122.jpg
    Airplanes 122.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 48
  • Airplanes 123.jpg
    Airplanes 123.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 56
  • Airplanes 132.jpg
    Airplanes 132.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 47
Pics to answer the questions....

Attachments

• Airplanes 129.jpg
    Airplanes 129.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 64
  • Airplanes 128.jpg
    Airplanes 128.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 42
  • Airplanes 125.jpg
    Airplanes 125.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 62
Guesses:

The pucks are stops so that when the gear comes up, something in the wells hits those pucks and it keeps things neat, clean, etc.

Tubing - could there be a static port on the canopy?

OK - the pucks are the uplocks, held in place by electromagnets.

That was gonna be my guess.

As for the gas in the 'no open end' tube. Is it something like on Sean Tucker's aerobatic planes: nitrogen gas sealed within the wing struts/spars with a sensitive pressure gauge. If the gas leaks out, you know there is a crack in the pipe/spar somewhere before flight.

Last edited:
I concur on the mag uplock- nice design.

As for the tube, I contend that the canopy seal is inflatable, with relatively low pressure "pinching" the 'glas lip on the fuselage. The tube carries the pressure for the inflation.

That was gonna be my guess.

As for the gas in the 'no open end' tube. Is it something like on Sean Tucker's aerobatic planes: nitrogen gas sealed within the wing struts/spars with a sensitive pressure gauge. If the gas leaks out, you know there is a crack in the pipe/spar somewhere before flight.

Good thought - we use a similar design to protect conduit carrying classified comms - pressure drop sets off an alarm and the men in black start running.

PJ- it likely provides low pressure bleed air to the canopy seal, as was suggested before. It's just like a door seal on a King Air. Only 4 psi. You can see the seal in the close up pic of the canopy.

That sucker looks fast. Anybody know what it cruises at? Service ceiling?

That sucker looks fast. Anybody know what it cruises at? Service ceiling?

294 knots at 17.5K, 282 knots economy cruise. Not sure about service ceiling, but the specs go up to 25K feet.

Max Cruise @ Sea Level 356 MPH
Max Cruise @ 17,000 Ft 382 MPH
Max Rate of Climb, SL 6,500 FPM
Range at Max Cruise 1,021 Statute Miles

Source: http://turbinelegend.com/statistical_data.htm and http://www.limalima.com/newsletter.htm

Here's a page with a video and more pictures... that engine sure sounds cool when it starts up! Looks kind of like a mini Mustang.

http://www.imagingtheheavens.com/TL/tl.html

Back