Tums

Jim Case

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
AceDolphinFlyer
Can we all take a minute and thanks the creator of tums? These things work, maybe it's a brain effect, the Placebo effect, or whatever. But i couldn't get trough a night of going to the fast food joints with my buddy's and then night flying, without them.

Standard rate tums?
Tums around a point?
The deadly downwind tums?

and all you guys have your current medical??? the AME needs his eyes checked :goofy:

Tums are great. You hear those Prilosec ads that say "it starts working in 30 minutes." Tums (or the generic equivalent)? 15 seconds. I'm not too proud to eat chalk. :D

Can we all take a minute and thanks the creator of tums?

How can you be the "creator" of chalk? Calcium carbonate has been naturally occurring in enormous quantities for at least hundreds of millions of years.

How can you be the "creator" of chalk? Calcium carbonate has been naturally occurring in enormous quantities for at least hundreds of millions of years.

Ah, yes, but the credit often goes to the one who successfully markets it.

I had heartburn so bad as a 20-something that every bathroom and every travel kit had oversized bottles of antacids and pepsid. I thought I'd have an ulcer by 30.

Finally I tired of it and started tracking which food and drink combinations were triggering it and stopped it cold.

I clicked on turns, I swear that's the thread title I clicked on. Old eyes I guess.

I had heartburn so bad as a 20-something that every bathroom and every travel kit had oversized bottles of antacids and pepsid. I thought I'd have an ulcer by 30.

Finally I tired of it and started tracking which food and drink combinations were triggering it and stopped it cold.
This ^^^^^
I was the exact same way, all under control now and the only time I get heartburn or acid reflux is because of my meds.

Tums(turns) are terrible, the wife has them in the fruity favors that include lemon and lime! Who the hell came up with that? Got heartburn? Here suck on a lemon candy....

Oh well, I just mix a heaping spoonful of baking soda with a bit of water, works in less time and none of that chalky crap stuck in your teeth.

Chalk was the right description. Tums are just calcium carbonate (i.e., chalk). Note that blackboard chalk isn't really chalk these days but more likely a gypsum (calcium sulfate) related compound.

+1. Kicking simple carbs, especially white sugar, was key for me.

Can we all take a minute and thanks the creator of tums? These things work, maybe it's a brain effect, the Placebo effect, or whatever. But i couldn't get trough a night of going to the fast food joints with my buddy's and then night flying, without them.
If you want to keep your medical you should start eating better.

As if I should talk...

interesting! The adverts before youtube videos is now "Tums". Way to go POA!

Its when they start playing you ads for products aimed well below your age group that you know you're doing something right and AARP ads means you're doing it wrong. Hahaha.

Tums(turns) are terrible, the wife has them in the fruity favors that include lemon and lime! Who the hell came up with that? Got heartburn? Here suck on a lemon candy....

Oh well, I just mix a heaping spoonful of baking soda with a bit of water, works in less time and none of that chalky crap stuck in your teeth.
The smoothie ones are tolerable

Same here. It says "Turns"

Moderator, change the font. Give us Geezers a break.

Last edited:

I know exactly what triggers mine, but I'm willing to suffer a little for pepperoni pizza, etc. and treat it afterward.

Got caught overseas a couple of times with nasty acid reflux and no antacid available in the hotel (in my younger days so I was too stupid to pack them in my luggage). Truly miserable!

My late father-in-law worked as a mixer in the Tums factory in St . Louis. He used to bring home their 'experimental' flavors - one of which was pizza. Fortunately, that didn't make the cut :)

Enjoy the impending kidney stones.....

+3 for this

Back