TSA: Nude scanners to be reinspected due to 10x radiation exposure events

sba55

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
sba55
I can't say I'm at all surprised. These people are incompetent; but incompetence paired with radiation is a very bad mixture.

The USA Today "explanation" is even better: "Indeed, even the highest readings listed on some of the records — the numbers that the TSA says were mistakes — appear to be many times less than what the agency says a person absorbs through one day of natural background radiation."

Oh yes. Incidentally, the energy I was exposed today due to sun exposure was about the same as a very powerful laser pulse. The sun didn't kill me, though, yet the laser would have. Hmm... Have you ever noticed how not even the TSA has ever said that these machines are safe, only that they passed all inspections?

And if these records are all due to error, then what does this say about TSA's ability to monitor proper calibration? You've really got to be crazy to walk through these.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2011-03-11-tsa-scans_N.htm

One of the reasons I drove to Palm Springs this year was to eliminate any possibility of dealing with those idiots.

I can't say I'm at all surprised. These people are incompetent; but incompetence paired with radiation is a very bad mixture.

The USA Today "explanation" is even better: "Indeed, even the highest readings listed on some of the records — the numbers that the TSA says were mistakes — appear to be many times less than what the agency says a person absorbs through one day of natural background radiation."

Oh yes. Incidentally, the energy I was exposed today due to sun exposure was about the same as a very powerful laser pulse. The sun didn't kill me, though, yet the laser would have. Hmm... Have you ever noticed how not even the TSA has ever said that these machines are safe, only that they passed all inspections?

And if these records are all due to error, then what does this say about TSA's ability to monitor proper calibration? You've really got to be crazy to walk through these.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2011-03-11-tsa-scans_N.htm

One of the reasons I drove to Palm Springs this year was to eliminate any possibility of dealing with those idiots.

I wish I could drive to Hawaii in July. Just not possible. Sometimes those idiots are unavoidable.

I'm seriously considering driving back to Buffalo for the obligatory family appearance. At least it's only every 2-3 years. But still, it's Buffalo and no chance for a side-trip to Toronto.

I don't like the TSA, but considering how well USA Today reports on general aviation, I'll give them (the TSA) a pass on this one.

Last edited:
Hmm... Have you ever noticed how not even the TSA has ever said that these machines are safe, only that they passed all inspections?

Ummm...not to dispute a good anti-TSA rant, but right in that story that statement is incorrect:

"Independent third-party testing has confirmed that all TSA technology is safe," Pistole said. "We are also taking additional steps to build on existing safety measures in an open and transparent way, including commissioning an additional independent entity to evaluate these protocols."

"We are also taking additional steps to build on existing safety measures in an open and transparent way, including commissioning an additional independent entity to evaluate these protocols."

Translation - we're going to spend even more money than we are now.

I don't know what you people are talking about. How could you possibly imply that your government, the one you elected, would ever put public safety at risk, simply to promote their own agenda. Nonsense, that is all it is.

Whatever your government does, it is for your benefit. Every penny that is taken in through taxes and assorted fees, is carefully spent by your government experts, with only one goal in mind, to make your life better and safer. They know what they are doing.

You dissenting rabble should be ashamed of yourselves.

John

I think ever golf bag that was transported by airline (brought by the guys who came out for part of the trip) had the little notice that they had been opened for inspection. I don't know how many checked to see if balls and other stuff was missing. It wouldn't be the first time.

I wish I could drive to Hawaii in July. Just not possible. Sometimes those idiots are unavoidable.

I think ever golf bag that was transported by airline (brought by the guys who came out for part of the trip) had the little notice that they had been opened for inspection. I don't know how many checked to see if balls and other stuff was missing. It wouldn't be the first time.

If you opt out on the scanners they'll check to make sure all your balls aren't missing. :ihih:

Memo to John Pistole:

Bovine_Excrement(1).gif

http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/24331/

"The evidence that terahertz radiation damages biological systems is mixed. "Some studies reported significant genetic damage while others, although similar, showed none," say Boian Alexandrov at the Center for Nonlinear Studies at Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico and a few buddies. Now these guys think they know why."

"Alexandrov and co have created a model to investigate how THz fields interact with double-stranded DNA and what they've found is remarkable. They say that although the forces generated are tiny, resonant effects allow THz waves to unzip double-stranded DNA, creating bubbles in the double strand that could significantly interfere with processes such as gene expression and DNA replication. That's a jaw dropping conclusion."

I'll take the grope-and-cope . . . anyday. :crazy:

Tol' ja. It'll turn out that 10x is the maximum readout of power that can be recorded, not the maximum the machine can be set to.

Last edited:
I don't know what you people are talking about. How could you possibly imply that your government, the one you elected, would ever put public safety at risk, simply to promote their own agenda. Nonsense, that is all it is.

Whatever your government does, it is for your benefit. Every penny that is taken in through taxes and assorted fees, is carefully spent by your government experts, with only one goal in mind, to make your life better and safer. They know what they are doing.

You dissenting rabble should be ashamed of yourselves.

John
:D

As far as TSA claiming that these machines are safe - ok, they did say that in the article. I guess my point is that this statement is simply nonsense. They can't do proper tests or keep records - thus it's silly to say that they are safe. They can't know - as shown here.

None of the companies who make the machines say that they are safe either. Ever. They just say that "they meet all the requirements." How come that medical xray machines are certified safe (by the FDA or some similar agency - not sure) and are tested _every day_ for proper calibration? And they are only operated by personnel specifically trained in how to handle radiation and xrays? I guess all that is unnecessary ;)

Last edited:
If the machines are safe, then why don't TSA employees working near them get to wear radiation badges?

Because of this nonsense I might have to explain to my 4-year old why he's getting groped at LAX next month (because there's no way I'm letting my kids into one of those scanners). I think I'll just be honest with him and tell him "because the people who run our country are a bunch of idiots". The nice thing about 4 year olds is that they repeat everything they hear, about 50 times.

Jeff

If the machines are safe, then why don't TSA employees working near them get to wear radiation badges?

Because of this nonsense I might have to explain to my 4-year old why he's getting groped at LAX next month (because there's no way I'm letting my kids into one of those scanners). I think I'll just be honest with him and tell him "because the people who run our country are a bunch of idiots". The nice thing about 4 year olds is that they repeat everything they hear, about 50 times.

Jeff

Often one can elect to get into the line that isn't being sent to the nude-o-scope.

Often one can elect to get into the line that isn't being sent to the nude-o-scope.

Depends on the airport. Interestingly, at my home field, they can't afford a nude-o-scope, so you have to submit to a pat-down if they decide you need it. Hasn't happened to me yet - I wonder if my plane getting searched by DHS last year was enough to get me off the suspicious list.

Back