TSA at it's best

That article is incomplete.

Where is the line from the TSA saying that they followed all their procedures?

I was thinking the EXACT same thing.

"Our agents acted within the protocols set forth..."

That article is incomplete.

Where is the line from the TSA saying that they followed all their procedures?

well, they DID trot out the old "there never was a risk because of our many layers of security" line.

"Dear TSA agent,

My name is Norlstrm Botswana and I am a lawyer for Dr. TooHoo TooHoo Bengali. The Bengali family has inherited 5 million dollar US but need your assistance in retreiving that money. We will give you your share of the money, but need your cooperating by giving us one airline boarding pass for today's flight to Los Angeles so we may retrieve the money. We will give you 1 million dollar US tomorrow for boarding pass today....."

well, they DID trot out the old "there never was a risk because of our many layers of security" line.

"Dear TSA agent,

My name is Norlstrm Botswana and I am a lawyer for Dr. TooHoo TooHoo Bengali. The Bengali family has inherited 5 million dollar US but need your assistance in retreiving that money. We will give you your share of the money, but need your cooperating by giving us one airline boarding pass for today's flight to Los Angeles so we may retrieve the money. We will give you 1 million dollar US tomorrow for boarding pass today....."

English and grammar a little too perfect, but :rofl:.

I don't get why people are mad. You've all been voting for government babysitters and welfarism for the better part of the 20th century. You can be upset when hey do something you don't like, you gave them the power and right to do it.

Maybe those of you over 40 did. ;)

And, um... when did a Party run someone on either side who's not a total nincompoop for any House, Senate, or Presidential seat? :no:

Maybe those of you over 40 did. ;)

And, um... when did a Party run someone on either side who's not a total nincompoop for any House, Senate, or Presidential seat? :no:

My goal in life is to vote FOR as opposed to against someone for president, I expect to die disappointed.:sad:

My goal in life is to vote FOR as opposed to against someone for president, I expect to die disappointed.:sad:

Against McGovern and Wallace and Humphrey and Carter

I voted for Reagan

against Dukakis (sp) and Clinton and Gore and Kerry and Obama without once voting for the republican candidate but against the worse alternative.

Your problem is that you are caught up in trying to game the system. Rather than voting for representatives that represent you, you vote for representatives you think can win. That's no better than posting a "help wanted" ad that lies about the position. You can do that, sure, but don't complain that the candidates aren't skilled at what you really wanted.

People who get clever with "strategic" voting just convince the PoliTics that they have a mandate to screw things up. The demos and repus - as if there was a big difference - have both convinced themselves they are on the right course because millions of people vote one of those parties in opposition instead of voting a third party in support. :mad2:

Can you spot the illegal alien in this airport video?
http://youtu.be/lRhDEjH7XzA
He is probably working for the landscaper I have to hire because my ass-napkin, natural born citizen, white trash neighbor set fire to one of my bushes with his snowmobile when working on the engine and having the exhaust too close to the bush.

Fella in the hanger next to me exited the airport and didn't let the gate completely shut behind him. A police car was behind him: so, he thought it was o.k. to let the police out!
Got a warning ticket. Of course, no code is required to get out. One only needs to pull up to the gate. We asked why. TSA requirement.

Dave

Fella in the hanger next to me exited the airport and didn't let the gate completely shut behind him. A police car was behind him: so, he thought it was o.k. to let the police out!
Got a warning ticket. Of course, no code is required to get out. One only needs to pull up to the gate. We asked why. TSA requirement.

Dave

Sometimes it's not necessarily the TSA. Creating an airport's security plan is a little like the ol' bring-me-a-rock game.

I thought we were trying to keep terrorists out of the airport; never occurred to me, we wanted to keep them in. And watch out for those terrorists in marked city police cars!

Dave

I thought we were trying to keep terrorists out of the airport; never occurred to me, we wanted to keep them in. And watch out for those terrorists in marked city police cars!

Dave

Nah, they want to be able to track who is on the airport grounds. I'm actually serious.

Think about the genius of doing that....

Bwahaha. No exit swipe and they think they're tracking.

Of course, trying to explain this to them would only result in angering them, not actually helping them to reverse their rectal-cranial inversion syndrome on their own.

OK, I am going to be the devil's advocate. The reporting in this story was very one-sided. I know from experience that reporters will pick and choose facts that will get their stories the greatest exposure.
And how many of you believe that terrorists would be above using a sick old woman to strap a bomb to? Or a child for that matter. If they are smart enough to mastermind the 9/11 attacks, or th attack on the USS Cole, or any of the other attacks, then they are smart enough to choose a weapon that has the greatest chance of escaping detection.

That said, I too hate the paranoid and excessive restrictions on our freedoms. Personally, I would rather eliminate the TSA, quit the foreign nation building in Arab countries and if anyone attacks us, then turn our military loose with all its resources on anyone and everyone from wherever the attack originated.

A little late to this party, and admittedly I'm breaching protocol by not reading the whole thread, but there IS more to this story. Not the kind of thing I want to post on the internet, but if someone really wants to hear it PM me. Now, I'm not saying that the particulars of this case warrant the TSA's actions, but I will say that perhaps, just perhaps, the TSA agent was trying to get the caretaker to change a diaper the poor woman had been sitting in for 4 days.

I saw an interview with the daughter and she stated that they also had the option of getting the luggage off the airplane to access a clean diaper but she didn't think there was time. The daughter also stated that the agents acted professionally even though she didn't agree with they were saying.
Yeah, the daughter. You should hear her described by the (non-TSA) folks who work at the airport.

A little late to this party, and admittedly I'm breaching protocol by not reading the whole thread, but there IS more to this story. Not the kind of thing I want to post on the internet, but if someone really wants to hear it PM me. Now, I'm not saying that the particulars of this case warrant the TSA's actions, but I will say that perhaps, just perhaps, the TSA agent was trying to get the caretaker to change a diaper the poor woman had been sitting in for 4 days.

4 days? Well, that's a no-brainer. Far too often the elderly try to "save" money by not changing the depends if it doesn't seem to be soiled.

Of course, it might not have been entirely the caretaker's fault.

4 days? Well, that's a no-brainer. Far too often the elderly try to "save" money by not changing the depends if it doesn't seem to be soiled.

Of course, it might not have been entirely the caretaker's fault.
From what I've been told, the blame lies completely in the hands of the daughter/caretaker.

Bwahaha. No exit swipe and they think they're tracking.

Of course, trying to explain this to them would only result in angering them, not actually helping them to reverse their rectal-cranial inversion syndrome on their own.

We don't have an exit swipe here. One just pulls up to the gate and it opens.

Best,

Dave

that perhaps, just perhaps, the TSA agent was trying to get the caretaker to change a diaper the poor woman had been sitting in for 4 days.

At the risk of sending this to Spin Zone, is that really the TSA's job? Is that what we pay them to do? Under TSA protocols - and not saying it's their job - wouldn't they be obliged to either call the police or adult welfare authorities for elder abuse? And the result: who wants to sit in the airline seat after the elderly woman did, especially since she went without?

We don't have an exit swipe here. One just pulls up to the gate and it opens.

Same there. That was my point. They claim to "track" but if you only track incoming swipes, you have no grounds to ticket someone for letting another vehicle follow them OUT.

Around here you can swipe in, get out, swipe ten other cars in, and no exit swipe.

You can also climb the fence, or wave at the exit sensor with a broomstick stuck through the fence to get in.

Entry-only swipe without a dual-swipe lockout isn't security at all.

That broomstick trick? Works with a stuff Legal folder stuffed through most sets of double doors at most businesses too, since there's often magnetic door releases and a sensor on the inside to let people leave easier without having to wait for the crashbar switch to power off the magnet.

Fun one to show your security auditors and watch 'em panic.

Same there. That was my point. They claim to "track" but if you only track incoming swipes, you have no grounds to ticket someone for letting another vehicle follow them OUT.

um, think about the effectiveness of this "tracking" even if they required and enforced the exit swipe.

Hint: It's an airport.

Second hint: How many ways are there to arrive/leave an airport that don't use cars or walking?

At the risk of sending this to Spin Zone, is that really the TSA's job? Is that what we pay them to do? Under TSA protocols - and not saying it's their job - wouldn't they be obliged to either call the police or adult welfare authorities for elder abuse? And the result: who wants to sit in the airline seat after the elderly woman did, especially since she went without?
Is it their job to worry about old people getting their diapers changed? Probably not. But people are all to ready to jump them for doing their job like mind numb robots without any compassion, and then when they show a little compassion, someone jumps up and asks if that it their job. They can't catch a break.

Last edited:
Is it their job to worry about old people getting their diapers changed? Probably not. But people are all to ready to jump them for doing their job like mind numb robots without any compassion, and then when they show a little compassion, someone jumps up and asks if that it their job. They can't catch a break.
No, they cannot catch a break. And they should get to catch a break. They're civil servants who are a disgrace to this country. Their mere existence is a disgrace. And of course they did not show "compassion" here either; they just saw yet another chance to play out their power game.

So no, I'm not interested in letting them catch a break. Criminals don't deserve one.

um, think about the effectiveness of this "tracking" even if they required and enforced the exit swipe.

Hint: It's an airport.

Second hint: How many ways are there to arrive/leave an airport that don't use cars or walking?

Totally understand. That's another good reason for wondering what the hell he got ticketed for.

I guess the cop figured terrorists would fly a cop car with the town's logo on it, in a transport, into the airport...

And the only thing stopping them from wreaking destruction on the town would be that the fake cop car couldn't tailgate their way OUT of the automatic fence!

Gasp! The horrors! ;)

I'd have taken that ticket to Court. Ridiculous.

"I've apparently been charged with allowing a cop car to leave an airport, Your Honor.", if it even made it past a discussion with the DA.

Attending a briefing with my state rep today to find the legislature would have passed the anti-groping TSA bill had it not been for some political maneuvering by the house leader Joe Straus. Was glad to hear that.

What Ken Paxton explained today was our Lt. Governor killed it in regular session and got a lot of grief. Since he plans to run for the senate, he asked the governor to put it back in front of the special session. The TX Senate passed it and Ken thought the House would. The speaker used a procedural delay to prevent a final vote before the session adjourned. This in spite of warnings from U.S. Justice.

Ken explained the speaker isn't a real popular fella right now among republicans (who control both houses and the governorship).

Best,

Dave

Leslie and I were both selected for the nude-o-scan in KSAN. (In fact, they started running everyone through it as we came up.). We both opted out. They were professional, there was not an undue delay, and we didn't feel terribly violated. They made a point to explain things before they did them, and offered a more private area in which to perform the examination. Leslie took that option. It certainly wasn't totally private, but it was more private.

Leslie and I were both selected for the nude-o-scan in KSAN. (In fact, they started running everyone through it as we came up.). We both opted out. They were professional, there was not an undue delay, and we didn't feel terribly violated. They made a point to explain things before they did them, and offered a more private area in which to perform the examination. Leslie took that option. It certainly wasn't totally private, but it was more private.
Just wanted to provide some more context to your post Grant.

That initial pat-down really isn't bad. It's not much worse than what they've been doing at airports for a few decades. That's not the one that you hear most people complain about.

If they can't identify something during that patdown, or if they don't change their gloves like they're supposed to and then find "explosive residue" on the glove, there will be a second patdown. That's the one that is so objectionable, and having it in private is not optional.

A Nigerian is clever enough to foil the TSA

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43590961/ns/travel-news/

And in the category of "no TSA mistake will leave the passengers unpunished" - apparently the TSA is testing a new procedure at IAH, SFO and a couple of other airports that requires you to verbally state and/or spell your name as the boarding-pass/ID checker is examining your documents. Reports are that this procedure is to identify people using fake ID or boarding passes.

So how hard is it for a person using a fake ID to memorize the name on the ID? THought so.

Another waste of our time and money by the TSA, and yet ANOTHER hassle for passengers.

3 trips this month I'll make by GA that I might otherwise have made by airline. And counting.

And in the category of "no TSA mistake will leave the passengers unpunished" - apparently the TSA is testing a new procedure at IAH, SFO and a couple of other airports that requires you to verbally state and/or spell your name as the boarding-pass/ID checker is examining your documents. Reports are that this procedure is to identify people using fake ID or boarding passes.

So how hard is it for a person using a fake ID to memorize the name on the ID? THought so.

Another waste of our time and money by the TSA, and yet ANOTHER hassle for passengers.
State your name?

"Bob Smith"

But it says here "Juan Valdez"?

Yes, that's how it's spelled, but I pronounce it "Bob Smith"!

And in the category of "no TSA mistake will leave the passengers unpunished" - apparently the TSA is testing a new procedure at IAH, SFO and a couple of other airports that requires you to verbally state and/or spell your name as the boarding-pass/ID checker is examining your documents.
Haha, I was asked to say my name last time at SFO which is hilarious because no one else seems to be able to say it without some coaching.

3 trips this month I'll make by GA that I might otherwise have made by airline. And counting.
Your company need a chemist or a product manager (lab equipment)?

I gotta make two trips in August on the airlines:sad:

Yes, which pronunciation would you prefer?
There's Italian with a capital I.
Sicilian.
Chicago style.
'Merican.
Texan
And I normally answer to anything that begins with an S if there's any question.

In basic training in the Army, I was carried as AWOL for over a week because I never heard the first sergeant call my name at roll call. When I finally went to the orderly room and reported it, he was there and got pretty mad. He called out my name a couple times and said he had called it each day: I didn't understand it when he said it then either. I had to pronounce it several times for him to get close enough for me to recognize in formation from then on <g>

Best,

Dave

Back