TSA agent steals $5k cash from passenger

I guess a new name is in order ... TSA (was Thousands Standing Around) is now TSA - Thousands Stolen Again!

Why a passenger would carry $5k in cash in their jacket, I have no idea.

Lots of reasons. Vegas, Baby! Buy a car with cash. Cultural aspects (in some cultures credit is shunned). Etc.etc.

Maybe he was going to buy something from me that I listed on craigslist. Cash only.

This has been an ongoing problem with TSA since it's inception. Their claim about having "zero tolerance about theft in the workplace" in ludicrous.

It all points to one thing, TSA is a very poorly managed bureaucracy at best. TSA lacks any sound leadership at all. Whoever manages TSA is interested in only one thing, their compensation. I would question if they have ever been in their office more than one or two days a month.

TSA lacks the ability to screen it's own employees, while whatever training is provided is nothing but a farce. Their employees lack motivation or even a basic understanding of "power of authority".

TSA is a total waste of taxpayer dollars and should be disbanded altogether,

John

John, I couldn't have said it better myself.

I can't wait for the day that it is shut down. I hope I see it in my lifetime.

If they're willing to break the law and steal from passengers, what's to stop them from becoming evildoers?

Read this whole article about an incident at Newark yesterday.

Here's a snippet:

The Port Authority Police Department report gives a slightly different account. It says the TSA screener picked up and screened the wrong bag.

When the mistake was discovered shortly thereafter, the traveler had already left the checkpoint, and the screener could not describe the passenger.

Authorities shut down the checkpoint, and a breach of security was issued, the Port Authority report says.

At 11:18 a.m., TSA screeners looked at recordings captured by the closed circuit television cameras. They told police they figured out who the unidentified passenger was. They gave police a description of a black female traveling with a black male. But when the two travelers were located and rescreened, it was found that they were not the folks involved in the breach.

The TSA then gave a description of a tall black male carrying a black laptop bag, according to the police report. That person was also found, and ruled out.

"This process continued three more times," the police report says. Police found, and then ruled out, a white woman traveling with two children in a stroller, a 6-foot white male wearing a brown shirt and jeans and carrying a suitcase, and a white male with curly brown hair wearing a JetBlue uniform.

After the fifth false identification, authorities ordered the terminal area shut down and cleared. All passengers, flight crews and employees were told to leave for rescreening.

If they're willing to break the law and steal from passengers, what's to stop them from becoming evildoers?

Read this whole article about an incident at Newark yesterday.

Here's a snippet:

I guess the ability of the TSA to figure out who "lost" the money kind of proves that the TSA personnel wouldn't have the ability to profile travelers for problems.

I never expected to see the Berlin Wall come down, but it did. There's hope.

Government security agencies tend to proliferate establish themselves over time. I think it would take an out and out revolution to cast them aside. I fear a revolution in this country would be far, far, far worse than the worst of the TSA.

I never expected to see the Berlin Wall come down, but it did. There's hope.

We don't have Ronald Reagan anymore.

from my understanding the TSA and its agents have no policing authority. if they wish to detain you then they need an actual police officer to do it. they're glorified mall security guards, though that may be insulting to mall security guards everywhere.

which begs the question, if they can't do anything but call a cop, why don't we just have cops manning these checkpoint theaters?

Government security agencies tend to proliferate establish themselves over time. I think it would take an out and out revolution to cast them aside. I fear a revolution in this country would be far, far, far worse than the worst of the TSA.

I am betting your 'fear' is going be unfounded by a huge margin..:yesnod:

which begs the question, if they can't do anything but call a cop, why don't we just have cops manning these checkpoint theaters?

"You can't professionalize unless you federalize." :rolleyes:

Back in my youth I flew from Tokyo to SF with $15,000 cash in my pocket. It was my Per Diem savings from working 6 months there. I evaluated cashier's checks, wire transfers, and travelers checks. The bottom line was that the risk was acceptable for a one-time event. And I did declare it at customs like a good boy.

Why don't we all agree to hire TSA look-alikes so that those of us not a threat to national security get the wink-wink pass-through while young, single, arab males with passports showing frequent trips to Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Somalia actually get screened by the one professional retired CIA ops type on duty at each airport?

:dunno:

Yeah, I know -- crazy talk.

:rolleyes2:

Back to your regularly scheduled multi-trillion dollar exercise in "security."

Why don't we all agree to hire TSA look-alikes so that those of us not a threat to national security get the wink-wink pass-through while young, single, arab males with passports showing frequent trips to Pakistan, Afghanistan, and Somalia actually get screened by the one professional retired CIA ops type on duty at each airport?

but but but

that would make too much sense and would be "offensive".

Odin forbid we offend somebody

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Because the next person who is going to bring down an airliner probably already has a job working on the ramp so he / she / it can avoid the screening altogether.

Oh, and the last couple of (bungled) attempts don't fit your profile.

At 11:18 a.m., TSA screeners looked at recordings captured by the closed circuit television cameras. They told police they figured out who the unidentified passenger was. They gave police a description of a black female traveling with a black male. But when the two travelers were located and rescreened, it was found that they were not the folks involved in the breach.

Well that makes me feel much better.:D
So basicly they have no clue.

This sounds like a TSA theft:
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1120201/jsp/calcutta/story_15065756.jsp[/URL]
A Dell mobile phone, a Blu-ray player, an iPad keyboard, case and stylus and a toiletry kit went missing from the check-in baggage of a passenger who arrived in the city by a Lufthansa flight from Boston on January 26.
Metro has earlier reported several cases of baggage theft and damage at Calcutta airport.
Both the suitcases — one black and the other brown — Purkayastha had checked in had been locked and neither showed any sign of tampering. It was only after he opened the suitcases on reaching home that he realised that some items were missing.
Telegraph India should see if these cases of baggage theft just happen to be from passengers flying from the USA:rolleyes:
“After thorough investigation, Lufthansa could not find any indication that Purkayastha’s baggage had been mishandled or opened during his travel from Boston to Calcutta,” a Lufthansa spokesperson said.
Probably because the items were removed by someone outside the airline.

i may be wrong, but haven't most of the attempted attacks that resulted in TSA changing rules originated from overseas flights?

the Underwear and Shoe guys were. the liquid bomber threat one was talked about by British Security. so clearly we need to just quit letting people fly here from foreign nations. how about we let you fly out but only come back by boat?

i may be wrong, but haven't most of the attempted attacks that resulted in TSA changing rules originated from overseas flights?

the Underwear and Shoe guys were. the liquid bomber threat one was talked about by British Security. so clearly we need to just quit letting people fly here from foreign nations. how about we let you fly out but only come back by boat?

Great idea... lets book them on any one of these fine ships.:wink2::rofl:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...urce=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=kUMrT5HSOIfXiQLT__GfCg

I often travel with that and more in my pockets.

I was just going there as well - I've done it many times, usually going to an auction or visiting a place going out of business to pick up equipment cheap. Cash speaks loud and clear for quick, clean deals.

Of course, I'm usually also flying my 172 for that, but it does occasionally happen with the airlines. Haven't had an issue with it so far. I did have to pass through the body scanner once, I didn't put a roll of $100 bills in the Xray bin for obvious reasons, they asked me to show what was in my pockets and I did, no more questions.

Last edited:
Back