Trying to hide from the heat

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
We're heading towards 104º so I headed for the cooler temps for a while this morning.

DSCN0254-1.jpg

DSCN0255-1.jpg

DSCN0258-1.jpg

DSCN0262-1.jpg

DSCN0267-1.jpg

DSCN0271-1.jpg

I'm about to go hide in my basement. No A/C around here...

Nice pics!

I've practically been living in the basement. The dog spends about 10 min outside then spends the next hour spread out on the concrete floor on the basement. Both of us are happier. I may inflate the air mattress and sleep down here tonight. I'll probably spend Sunday (with the dog) up in the mountains.

Denver just set a new record (or did it merely tie the old one of 101?)

This is why I left Arizona, and why my father used to spend July-Oct with me to get out of the heat.

It's official. At 14:46 MDT Denver broke previous record of 101F with the new record of 102F.

Harrrumpf. I'm stuck playing catch-up on office work which resulted from too many days in the field supervising day-to-day ops.

At least I got to fly to the field for the recent trips...

We have learned to ask very specific questions about A/C when making reservations in the mountains, especially in Aspen and Vail. When pressed, they have been known to say things like "well, not in the rooms, but we're at 8,000 feet and don't really need it." Which probably works unless you've been there for the past ten years.

I'm about to go hide in my basement. No A/C around here...

Nice pics!

We spent most of the day goofing around by some ponds to the east of the Boulder airport. It was hot, and there were a lot of gliders getting tows. I was actually pretty surprised at how much GA traffic there was for a record setting day.

We have learned to ask very specific questions about A/C when making reservations in the mountains, especially in Aspen and Vail. When pressed, they have been known to say things like "well, not in the rooms, but we're at 8,000 feet and don't really need it." Which probably works unless you've been there for the past ten years.

Many houses in the Denver area including mine don't have AC because it only seems like you need it for about two weeks a year. Even if it's hot during the day it cools off at night.

Our electronic remote thermometer said 108.7° at 1600, the decorative clock/thermometer on the patio looked darn close to 109° at the same time. Marty Coniglio (meteorologist at 9 News, Arvada resident and pilot) even mentioned on the news that there were a very wide range of temperatures reported across the area. Hot enough then that stepping outside an hour ago to water the garden, 97° felt downright balmy! (but only for a little while - retreated back to the basement in short order).

Down to 85 on the porch thermometer now. Was 107 on the car thermometer when I drove across town this afternoon.

Basement feels nice right now. Glad there is plenty of cold beer on hand...

Many houses in the Denver area including mine don't have AC because it only seems like you need it for about two weeks a year. Even if it's hot during the day it cools off at night.

Yup, and even during the day it's a *dry* heat! :rolleyes2:

I know what you mean about the heat. It got to 84 here at my house and will probably only get down to 45 tonight. I looked at my weather data and that is the highest we got this year to date (and also the highest we got last year). I look forward to the return of the cooler temps!

B)B):tongue::tongue:

Its pretty nice here in Evergreen, I'm about at 7,300 no AC here. Doesnt get above 75 most of hte time, hit 80 for about an hour but then it cooled off, Always gets to about 40 at night. just had to rub it in. Was at Garden of the Gods though, that was HOT.

Denver just set a new record (or did it merely tie the old one of 101?)

This is why I left Arizona, and why my father used to spend July-Oct with me to get out of the heat.

101 in Colorado? I'm somewhere in northern Arizona right now. Today's high was 94F. Nights are in the mid 50's.

Big Bend TX over a month ago was 103F.

BTW, the less you're exposed to AC, the less the heat bothers you..up to a point. When I'm use to AC, 80F is way too offensively hot. I haven't been near AC in months and the heat doesn't bother me until it hits 100F. The same works in reverse in winter too.

Last edited:
Easy. I came home. Milan was in the low 90s with some humdity (but not oppressive). 70s here today. No humidity. I love summer around here. So, I'll go to PHL later this week and then to FLL for a week. Thank goodness for airconditioned hotels and meeting rooms. :D

Last edited:
I drove out run errands just downtown. The air conditioner, which was working fine just last weekend, is dead, dead, dead.

I'm dumping that cursed "newest" old car next Spring. Whatta mistake.

The A/C in hosue is working fine. I'm glad I changed the air filter.

I have the programmable upstairs thermostat set to 80 degrees during peak electric rate hours and it's tolerable if I put a fan on. The best part is the below-grade lower level, which doesn't even have A/C in half, is a pleasant 73 degrees.

Last edited:
Back