Trying to find W&B for Cherokee 6

joycem137

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Robin
I'm about to start seriously pursuing purchasing an airplane in the next month or two. I'm trying to decide between the Cherokee 6/260 and Cherokee 6/300 right now, and want to see how various missions I might run will fit into both. I know both are haulers, but I want to get a good picture of the difference between them. I've managed to find some example W&B data for the PA-32-300, but I have't found *any* for the PA-32-260. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough or googling the right keywords. Does anyone know of a way to get one? I'm just trying to plug enough data into Foreflight's W&B calculator to run some example scenarios.

The empty weight differences between the two airframes due to the different engine is almost negligible. It it's got more to do with the weight of the interior and avionics upgrades for the most part, IIRC.

I have talked with 2 guys who had a 6/260 and both said they wish they had a 6/300. They said the 260 was under powered.

POH for both usually available online.
Interestingly, the W&B is not included in the POHs for the 260 that I've found online. It has a section that just says "Make sure you do W&B!" and references a separate document.

I have talked with 2 guys who had a 6/260 and both said they wish they had a 6/300. They said the 260 was under powered.
I've heard that, too. I originally started out all gaga over the 1700 pounds useful load in the 260, but I'm realizing I could shave some off that and enjoy the shorter takeoff and better performance of the 300, and probably still get all the use cases I'm interested in having.

Always get the larger engine, always, planes, cars, boats, bikes

People with the smaller engine always at some point wish they had the larger engine, the inverse is never true. Buy once, cry once and all that.

Interestingly, the W&B is not included in the POHs for the 260 that I've found online. It has a section that just says "Make sure you do W&B!" and references a separate document.

That's odd as W&B data has to be in the airplane, and a least a section of the POH is dedicated to it, usually with a sample explanation.

here's an example from my Six..... the site doesn't allow excel....so PDF is the best I can do here.

Attachments

• Pa32-260 Weight & Balance N3333W example.pdf
    24.4 KB · Views: 83
here's an example from my Six..... the site doesn't allow excel....so PDF is the best I can do here.
This is great! Do you have the data for the envelope definitions on there? The forward and aft limits?

Always get the larger engine, always, planes, cars, boats, bikes

People with the smaller engine always at some point wish they had the larger engine, the inverse is never true. Buy once, cry once and all that.

:yeahthat:

Thank you so much! Got it now! This is exactly what I was looking for!

This is an old thread but I hope my contribution could still be useful.

I just bought a PA-32-260 and the W&B information, including the CG Ranges are in the AFM, not in the POH. The AFM, for the avoidance of doubt, is not specific to type, but to tail number/serial number. You should have an AFM (it's maybe 10 pages) that Piper filed for your specific airplane, and its information revises and supersedes that of the POH.

Warning: the CG range and station arms information I have in my AFM are different from those in the type certificate!

I have a excel spread sheet that I can send you.

Me personally, I bought the 260. It had almost an additional 100lbs gross compared to the 300 and I only lose 5kts. Then again, I also don't have to go over mountains.

That's odd as W&B data has to be in the airplane, and a least a section of the POH is dedicated to it, usually with a sample explanation.

Any Cherokee six, or ANY Cherokee of any kind before about 1978 will not have a POH.
They will have a 3-6 pages Airplane Flight Manual, which will include W&B information, is serialized, and required to be in the airplane. It will also have an "Owner's Handbook" with various information and is not required to be aboard.

Back