Trying to buy an aircraft with deceased owners.

Crane Pilot

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
crane pilot
I looking for some information on being able to acquire/buy an aircraft when the owner is deceased. I did a search with the N number as to the owner's name only find he had passed several years (97) and seems as though the wife has passed away also at some point. Is there a way to find out about if there are more heirs to an estate that may able to sell the aircraft. Pending logbooks of course. Also I curious to know if an airport or FBO can or do put liens on aircraft for delinquent parking fees can they actually take possession of the aircraft for. I'm not sure the address listed with the FAA be correct since the one listed is in New York and he died in Tucson, AZ.

I looking for some information on being able to acquire/buy an aircraft when the owner is deceased.
On the aircraft side the key is finding who is the legal agent of the owners estate. Without that it's basically a no win situation. But it is possible. Best place to start is the obit and track down their posted survivors. If no obit then find their death certificate which should list a "reporting" individual of the death. It can be an adventure to a walk in the park. Dont worry about liens, etc. until you find the person who can sell the aircraft legally. Best of luck.

Start with both Arizona and New York state Depts of Health for the death certificates.
Next, local newspapers in the cities where they died/lived. That's where you'll find the obits.
If you know where the airplane is, contact the FBO to see what the situation is regarding storage, etc if someone is paying for it.

By the time you get legal title the aircraft won't be worth owning.

You can try to contact the airport it's at. Depending on the state there are abandonment laws, where the airport can claim the aircraft after a certain time of no fees being paid. You can then try to buy the aircraft from the airport. If they have a buyer in hand already they may be incentivized to go through the process to claim it.

I’ve known a few people who would search the N numbers of planes rotting on the ramp, and mail letters to the owners offering free disposal, and if in good condition, a nominal salvage offer. More than a few owners just looking to get out from under the planes for whatever reason would take them up on the offer. They then would rehab the aircraft or, if they were more into the salvage biz, part them out. If you’re game, try that approach.

I’ve known a few people who would search the N numbers of planes rotting on the ramp, and mail letters to the owners offering free disposal, and if in good condition, a nominal salvage offer. More than a few owners just looking to get out from under the planes for whatever reason would take them up on the offer. They then would rehab the aircraft or, if they were more into the salvage biz, part them out. If you’re game, try that approach.
Another avenue is talk to the airport owner/manager, some times they will obtain a quick claim ownership for overdue Rent, but it will require a judge and lawyers.

Do a docket search in the local probate court and see if an estate was opened. Find out who the personal representative or who the attorney was and ask them who the plane was transferred to.

Do a docket search in the local probate court and see if an estate was opened. Find out who the personal representative or who the attorney was and ask them who the plane was transferred to.
This is the correct place to start. Chasing down the heirs may be a big waste of time if they can't legally transfer title. If you want to go simple, mail a letter to the registered owner. Maybe it gets forwarded to the right person.

If you're going to buy an aircraft with other owners, wouldn't it be better if they were alive? The discussions about maintenance and upgrade decisions would really be dull if they weren't.....

If you're going to buy an aircraft with other owners, wouldn't it be better if they were alive? The discussions about maintenance and upgrade decisions would really be dull of they weren't.....

You're overlooking how easy it would be to get it passed "All against say nay! None against... carried."

I looking for some information on being able to acquire/buy an aircraft when the owner is deceased. I did a search with the N number as to the owner's name only find he had passed several years (97) and seems as though the wife has passed away also at some point. Is there a way to find out about if there are more heirs to an estate that may able to sell the aircraft. Pending logbooks of course. Also I curious to know if an airport or FBO can or do put liens on aircraft for delinquent parking fees can they actually take possession of the aircraft for. I'm not sure the address listed with the FAA be correct since the one listed is in New York and he died in Tucson, AZ.

So the last time this flew, Apple stock was under a buck, no one had ever heard of Monica Lewinsky and AOL considered the future for tech? Yikes!

Hopefully it was stored properly and animals haven't eaten the wiring.

You need to find the executor (or whatever the relevant state's equivalent is). Sometimes some Google-fu or asking around the airport can lead to that person, or perhaps the estate attorney who might be able to help out. Depending on the jurisdiction, a search of the local court docket may lead to court filings that can help. It's going to take some legwork.

A bigger a PATA is when the owner has a bill of sale but never registered the aircraft before they died with no will or living relative.
add N the number has been re-signed to a new aircraft.

I saw a twin parked at an airport that had obviously not been flown for a while. I inquired about it.

Turns out it belonged to the former sheriff of the county, that was currently in prison....

Yeah, most states have this online now.

As someone who has (miserably) served as the executor of 3 estates, I can tell you that a well managed estate will be easy to find as long as you have some knowledge of where the deceased's place of residence was. If you know that, and an estate was formally created (i.e. an executor or administrator was named), you should be able to track him/her down and make an offer on the airplane. If the airplane has been transferred to an heir, find that person and make an offer. Make sure the seller understands the airplane will only diminish in value as it sits.

Back