Truth or Myth -- FAA Written Exam

Ateaist

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ateaist
I read on this board a while back, and my CFI has told me, that you should not score too well or too poorly on the FAA written exam. Too low means you didn't know enough and you'll be grilled on the oral portion of the checkride. Too high means you memorized all the questions and still don't know the stuff, and you'll be grilled on the oral portion on the checkride. Optimal is low 90 percent, give or take.

FAA exam is next week and I need to know -- truth or myth?

My DPE worked all the questions I missed, into the oral interview. He told me at the start he was going to do that.

My instructor and me, had already gone over all my missed questions, so it wasn't a big deal. Do the best you can, try to score a 100.

Agree with Greg it is a myth, but to be sure maybe we see if the mythbusters will tackle it. My DPE asked me about the questions I missed both when I took my PPL, and my IFR, and could not help me figure out the right answers either.

Personally, based on my experience which I admit is quite limited and what I have read in descriptions of others experience the oral portion is more a chance of the DPE to find out how you think about flying and what you know, and how you use that knowledge, and if the DPE feels you are deficient in that then the oral will be more difficult. Also remember, not knowing an answer is not an automatic failure, and checking the book and knowing where to find the answer is perfectly acceptable. Though there are certain things you do need to know without looking it up.

Let's say that somebody actually believed that story. How much control does the applicant have in pre-determining the score? Especially if he/she doesn't have all the answers committed to memory or sees a test that hasn't been published.

Score as high as you can. I got a 98 on my sport and a 93 (I think?) on my private, and it made a good first impression. It's the first thing a DPE sees of you, so make it good.

That said, the one thing I have heard is that you should get a question wrong in the oral relatively early, because he's going to grill you until you make a mistake, no matter what. Although I have very large amounts of respect for the instructor who gave me that advice, I don't buy it. Answer everything you know to the best of your ability, but don't pretend to know something you don't.

I just took my commercial written yesterday and I told my instructor I didn't do as well as I wanted. He asked what I got and I told him. I said it wasn't a 100% like I had strived for but it would work. Then another instructor piped up and said the same thing. "You don't ever want to get a 100% on the written, it is just like challenging the DPE to find something you don't know." Behind the closed door my instructor said to always strive for your best and just make sure you know your $--t. Basically if you are ready for the checkride there should be no problem regardless of the score you got on the written, I say give that test your honest best shot.

I have never had a DPE even really mention the score, and never look up the codes (the CFI is supposed t sign off that has already been done).

Fact is, every DPE will ask you questions until you don't know something. Same as every FSDO ride, etc. That is just how it is done, doesn't matter what your written score was.

One of my fed buddies at the FSDO told me, 70% is passing 71% is over achieving.

Just pass the damn thing and get on with it :wink2:

I read on this board a while back, and my CFI has told me, that you should not score too well or too poorly on the FAA written exam. Too low means you didn't know enough and you'll be grilled on the oral portion of the checkride. Too high means you memorized all the questions and still don't know the stuff, and you'll be grilled on the oral portion on the checkride. Optimal is low 90 percent, give or take.

Absolute myth from my experience. I got in the upper 90's(96 or 97) can't remember exactly and my DPE joked when he saw that I scored high he said, " you know, no one likes a show off," and then jokingly said he's not even sure he could get that high! He did not pound me into submission during the oral either so I'm not sure the high score was bad.

I approached the test in a way that was if I'm going to be flying airplanes with my life and others in my hands than I need to know as much as I can. Thats why I took to preparing so well. One of my CFI's said to me that once you are on your own as a pilot not knowing what to do is not an option. I've always taken that seriously! So to the OP- go take the test and score as high as possible!

Last edited:
People are people... which is to say they're all different.*

*I'm going by the assumption that there isn't some secret DPE regulation that states they're required to go harder on someone whose written test score was 100 than one whose score was 90.

Your CFI is required to cover the knowledge areas you missed before you go take the ride. Most DPEs will probe your knowledge in the areas you missed as well as other areas.

I've never scored less than a 94% on any written and with the exception of the CFI oral (Which is SUPPOSED to be a comprehensive brain-scrubbing experience) all of my orals were pretty much the same - the discussion lasted long enough for the inspector/examiner to be convinced I knew my stuff, and then we went flying.

My DPEs didn't take much stock in the scores on my exams (93 both times I think). On my private check ride I think what made him stop asking is that I had quickly nailed the answer on everything that he had asked so far. There's two types of examiners, those like mine that figure after getting good answers that the applicant probably knows all he needs to and those who decide that they're going to play stump the chump and keep asking questions until they find SOMETHING that the applicant can't answer so they can show their superior knowledge.

IMHO, the checks rides are not there to flunk you, they are they to test your knowledge of piloting an airplane. My check ride was a good learning experience from an old crusty inspector. He was way more interested in teaching me something than flunking me, like over looking stupid mistakes like not using the radio to report my position in the pattern. I brought it up, and he agreed I forgot. He said "Not a good idea if you have a radio in the plane".

The lesson he taught that stuck with me is trust my instruments, not my head if I get into the clouds. He folded up map (I forgot my foggles :redface:) put it on my head to cover my eyes and told me to fly straight and level. After 30 - 45 seconds he pulled the map off my head. I was in a 45 degree bank and diving for the dirt. He calmly said, "Let's work on unusual attitude recover now." :lol: I learn a lot that day. Use the experience to learn. ;)

Relax, be confident, go flying. All you are doing is removing the word "Student" from your title. You'll do fine.:D

Last edited:
Back in the day before they published the questions (FOIA force play) 80 was a good score.

Since the FAA has changed the test questions, it is reported that the failure rate has quadrupled. If that is true, DPE's are seeing a lot lower scores from applicants.

Absolute myth from my experience. I got in the upper 90's(96 or 97) can't remember exactly and my DPE joked when he saw that I scored high he said, " you know, no one likes a show off," and then jokingly said he's not even sure he could get that high! He did not pound me into submission during the oral either so I'm not sure the high score was bad.

I approached the test in a way that was if I'm going to be flying airplanes with my life and others in my hands than I need to know as much as I can. Thats why I took to preparing so well. One of my CFI's said to me that once you are on your own as a pilot not knowing what to do is not an option. I've always taken that seriously! So to the OP- go take the test and score as high as possible!

+1 That is the right approach. Learning the material will serve you well.

Fact is, every DPE will ask you questions until you don't know something. Same as every FSDO ride, etc. That is just how it is done, doesn't matter what your written score was.

No, just argue with the DPE until you prove him wrong. That's how you impress him. Once he screams uncle and asks where you learned all this stuff, just say Pilots of America...or that you're the Greatest Pilot in the World.:D

Did we have the same DPE? He made fun of what he considered a high score (87).

Any grade higher than 70 was considered "studying too hard."

That may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If you get a 70 on the PPL written, I don't want you flying anywhere near me.

BA ha hahahahah

That may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Will says this, and yea that was a little dumb

If you get a 70 on the PPL written, I don't want you flying anywhere near me.

BUT IT DIDN'T HOLD A CANDLE TO THIS!!

You're almost trying to give Captain in the ATP thread a run for his money on dumbest comment of the day!

Fathom for a second what makes a safe pilot... a written, token test ain't even in the running, hence the oral and practical. I'd rated fly formation with my old AG guys that hated the written but are phenomenal stick and rudders.

That may be the dumbest thing I've ever heard. If you get a 70 on the PPL written, I don't want you flying anywhere near me.

WOW!!! Then steer clear of me. I have never taken an FAA exam for anything, I just asked for my certs and ratings and they smiled and handed them over, so I scored ZERO!!!! :yesnod:

You're in luck. Most of my flying for the past 15 years has been above FL 240 so ATC would have provided adequate separation.

What's the name of your drome in AR? I'm going to stop in on Sunday to see my old friends who live close by.

Shoot, most of my flying is in another country, so I guess he's safe from me.

Myth. My DPE never said anything for my PPL or IR. When I did the commercial I barely passed (71%) and he said he wanted me to print the codes and look up the meaning. So I did. He never ended up looking at it even though he said at the beginning of the oral he wanted to. I imagine if I had struggled through the oral he might have, but I knew me stuff. The stupid figure questions are what got me on the com written. Probably got 30 of them.

Totally dependent on the DPE.

This. It is no secret either, call the DPE and ask how he regards FAA written test scores. I had one tell me his oral is the same no matter what, others said if you bring in a 100% test score, the oral is much easier. There is no harm in asking the examiner. This is not so you can slack off and not care about your test score, but it will bust the "myth" for you.

It's started by instructors to make students who did not score well feel better. :)

This is a very interesting question, especially to somebody like me who was preparing for the knowledge test till last Sunday, and is now preparing the oral exam and the checkride. I heard the same rumors from a couple of pilots, and always had the feeling that it's a lot more ego and psychology than facts. How come everybody recommends an optimal range of scores, and that happens to include the score they got? What a coincidence! Sounds a little bit like a-posteriori rationalization.

Anyway, I studied to get 100% and I got it. Of course, there's a lot of ego involved in that too. Am I overly competitive and fixate over grades? A psychologist could find out plenty wrong with me, but this is off topic. The topic is: what are the facts?

The facts I have to share are:

1) the only person who commented on my score AND is a CFI was my CFI, and he said: "great work - that will help you on your flight test".
That is a qualified answer that directly addresses the question, from an instructor who taught dozens of students;

2) getting perfect score is not a sign of just rote memorization. Yes, some questions on the test are idiotic (i.e., the FAR number that regulates preventative maintenance; the AC series numbers). But things have changed. FAA question banks have changed. You WILL encounter questions you have never seen before on topics you have never seen before. You'll have to reason your way out of it. If you just memorized answers, you will not get perfect score.

3) preparing for the last 10% took a disproportionate amount of time. It didn't take 10% more work... it took twice more work than preparing for 90%. Months of extra work. I independently researched aircraft maintenance, weather, radio engineering, flight envelopes, ATC procedures, and a lot more. I performed maintenance on the plane myself. I know that the material I am familiar with is *a lot* more than when I was ready to test for 90% score. That is worth something in practice, and it's not just being "book smart". Teaching yourself to chart courses, do weights and balance and solve wind problems without *any* margins for error must be worth something "in real life".

4) regarding the doctrine "if you got a couple questions wrong, they'll question on those... if you didn't, they'll question you on *everything*", I can't call it BS yet. I'll let you know what happens at the oral. But even if it were true, what's the big deal? I absolutely loved learning about aviation, and all the CFIs and examiners I met so far are very excited when they meet students who are truly dedicated and passionate. If my oral exam lasts twice than usual, what's the big deal? Is flying about passion or is it about minimization of effort? The best strategy to minimize effort is to keep your bum on your couch. That makes for the safest skies too.

All comments welcome, even if you just want to tell me I'm a pretentious a...... .

Old thread, but I don't think it's necessarily a myth - but not for the reason you think.
Say you score your 100% on the written - but you memorized all the answers (although, not as likely to happen now as it was) - you still have to have the oral. You memorized everything, so you don't necessarily know the why behind the answers. DPE asks a question that was probably on the written as well, and you give the correct answer, and he does a follow up with "why is that the case?" and you respond with "uh...." well, guess what, you just set yourself up for a difficult oral especially if all of your responses to "why?" is "uh." But that's going to be the case whether you scored 70 80 90 or 100. And if you rock-star early on in the oral, it's not going to be hot dogs and burgers, because you know your stuff whether you scored a 70 80 90 or 100.

Back