Truck box stuff

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
So, what do you keep in the truck box? Tools, road flares, tire inflator? Roadside emergency kit? Tow strap?
I am assembling useful items and looking for ideas.

No box - I keep stuff in the back seat and behind it, but first aid kit (compression dressings [Israeli bandages]), tourniquet, gloves, gauze pads, tape - just stuff to stop someone from bleeding out before rescue gets on scene), jack, tire tool, wrenches, socket set, screwdrivers, multitool, Gorilla tape (ok, being honest here, I don’t have the skills or equipment to diagnose problems with my truck, but maybe they’ll be of use to someone else who’s broken down), ratchet straps, flares. Wherever I go, especially during summer, I carry at least a quart of water in a thermos.

Edited to add: Leather work gloves and jumper cables. I need to add a flat repair kit and an inflator.

Last edited:
No truck box as well, but the back of the Excursion has a recovery strap/shackles, tire plug kit, basic hand tools (pliers, adjustable wrench, few key sockets, flat/phillips screwdrivers), spare turbo boot clamps, shop rags, gloves. Everything but the recovery strap fits in a canvas tool bag that is stored in a compartment with the bottle jack. In other trucks we've had with truck boxes, we normally keep a wider array of tools, chains, maybe some spare oil or other fluids.

Last edited:
Pretty complete first aid kit in the center console, pretty complete tool box which includes flares, a tire plug kit, and a can of fix-a-flat in the back. Jumper cables in the winter, though I confess I usually take them out during the warmer months.

Tomahawk, VS-17 panel, IFAK + 4x CATs, burning flares, solar charging panel, ratchet straps, recovery rope and rings, golf umbrella, mechanix gloves, LED mini-floods and a flashlight, waterpumps, and in winter time I add a snugpak.

Also, one issue prophylactics.

ETA: heavy duty jumper cables.

In my road trip box you will find one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings...

(someone had to do it..)

In my road trip box you will find one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings...

(someone had to do it..)
Shoot, a fella could have a pretty good weekend in Dallas Vegas with all this stuff.

I have put together that kit, but it was hard to find the miniature combination Rooshian phrasebook and bible, so have two separate miniature books of these.

(someone had to do it..)
I would have been disappointed if it had not been you.

I have an extended cab so no need for a box. Under the rear seat is ratchet straps and misc tools that might be needed when towing or hauling things. Also a tow strap.

I've always carried basic tool set, first aid kit with lots of gauze pads, multiple flashlights, flares, jumper cables.... but I've swapped out the cables lately for lithium battery packs.
oh, I have a tick removal spoon, nail clippers and a knife, and a roll of toilet paper

Ditched the box as well…takes up too much space in bed. Under rear seat of pickup is slide hitches, 2 ratchet straps, 2 bungee cords, red flag, gloves, first aid kit, spare dog leash and water bowl, 2 rags, basic tool bag, lockdown cable and padlock, lithium battery jump pack.

and a roll of toilet paper

Which is the most important item to have onboard.

No leaves here in my part of the world, just cactus...

And be very careful when dropping trou and bending over, the cacti is not the only thing that bites...

1693150303911.png

I always have a impact version of the lugnut socket, small extension and breaker bar all in 3/4" drive. Jump pack - 3 people used it just this winter. Foldable bowsaw - thought I'd never use it and its been out twice. TP. 2"receiver hitch, 2" tow shackle and tow strap. Foldable snow shovel. Small first aid kit. All in a medium tote but it's pretty heavy with that hitch stuff inside.

I like these threads, they give me ideas. I don't have a box, but do have a compartment in the cargo area.

The things I carry that I've actually used: leather work gloves, X lug wrench, jumper cables, battery jump box, flares, little air compressor, cheap set of tools, some 8" zip ties, small roll of TP.

Also carry 2 16 oz pepsi bottles with washer fluid, heat sealed in a mylar bag. Haven't had to use that yet, but here in the fall/spring it's possible to have so much salt on the windshield that you need the stuff to see to drive. I use soda bottles because they're tough and I've never had one leak. The rest of the stuff that I didn't use I stopped carrying with me.

Up front I carry a spare set of glasses, a towel, roll of paper towels, rain jacket, sometimes a hat, snow brush in winter, flashlight, knife, tire gauge.

Used to carry a chain or strap. These days I don't, not sure why. I used them twice, but more than 20 years ago, so maybe that's why.

Used to carry a sleeping bag, back when I drove less reliable vehicles and I didn't have a 2m radio and cell phone with me.

Back