Trivia Rant Thread

Another one is when people cannot say gracias (or any foreign word) correctly. I have heard gracious,grassy a**, glassious,grayshious, grackeyus,greyous, you name it.

I'm painfully aware of my accent when trying to speak spanish.

Hotels:

I don't like when the maids fail to check that the alarm clock is OFF. I don't like it when they don't check the time on it either. I don't like when they leave the stopper in the shower closed (making me have to touch that nasty thing), or leave the shower head pointing out so I get sprayed when I turn it on.

I don't like hotels that don't leave a TV channel guide printed out and under the remote. With new HD tv's it takes FOREVER to manually flip through all the channels to see what's available and having a printed guide would take zero time, zero effort, and zero money.

I don't like the new "bow out" shower rods that sag so much the curtain falls to the middle. (don't get me wrong, I like the 'bow out' part, but if you can't pay to install it properly then don't bother.)

I don't like when maids leave their carts in the middle of the hallway. (This happens ALL THE TIME. Or it's a cart along the wall and laundry next to it making it impossible for me to get by).

I don't like hotels that don't give me a free breakfast. (That one's very selfish I know, but I've gotten used to the free breakfast and now sort of expect it. It's always the more expensive hotels that don't anyway. Hilton Garden Inn: $89 / nite = free breakfast and free internet. Hilton: $189 / nite = pay for breakfast and internet. Go figure)

I don't like Hampton Inn putting that little sticker on my folded up bill in the morning. I have to reconcile my expenses and little sticker doesn't go through the fax machine so well. Now I have to tear it off and it turns out ripped paper doen't go through either. How's about you leave your stickers off my receipt?!?!

I don't like hate when the front desk calls up right after checkin to see if everything is "all right". Yes, it's all all right or I'd have come down to get a new room. What's bugging me right now is the phone ringing while I'm on the toilet or cell phone or whatever.

Ref OP, it irritates me that phonetics isn't spelled the way it sounds.

Even more: Sen-tim-eaters (centimeters),al-you-min-nium(aluminum), murray-land (Maryland), huh-why (It's Hawai'i, huh-why-ee!), mashure (mature), pip-er (ITS PIE-PER, Piper!), Ore-e-on (Orion, Oh-ryan!), wreck-all (recall), and last but not least...Waco!

Even more: Sen-tim-eaters (centimeters),al-you-min-nium(aluminum), murray-land (Maryland), huh-why (It's Hawai'i, huh-why-ee!), mashure (mature), pip-er (ITS PIE-PER, Piper!), Ore-e-on (Orion, Oh-ryan!), wreck-all (recall), and last but not least...Waco!

Leominster
Worcester
Ayer

:)

I'm not a grammar cop, but screwing up the use of "I" really bugs me.

Using "at" improperly, such as "Where is the party at?" also irritates me to no end.

I'm not a grammar cop, but screwing up the use of "I" really bugs me.

Using "at" improperly, such as "Where is the party at?" also irritates me to no end.
Gotta say, I agree with this.

I have done it but in general I refrain. I hate Nor-Cal stickers and don't even know why we are fighting (Nor-Cal vs So-Cal). Can't we all just get along?

Part of it dates back to the big drought in the late 1970s when northern California was under mandatory water restrictions (lawns going brown for lack of water) while the pumps kept sending water to southern California and they did NOT have water restrictions.

If California were to divide into two states (as has been suggested in past years) my first act as governor of Northern California would be to dynamite those pumps. I'm not a greenie or other ecofreak, but I don't see a reason to destroy the ecology of the Bay Area so folks in LA can have water running down the street from their poorly aimed sprinklers.

And, yes, I lived in the Bay Area (Napa) in the late 1970s and I watched this happen.

Part of it dates back to the big drought in the late 1970s when northern California was under mandatory water restrictions (lawns going brown for lack of water) while the pumps kept sending water to southern California and they did NOT have water restrictions.

If California were to divide into two states (as has been suggested in past years) my first act as governor of Northern California would be to dynamite those pumps. I'm not a greenie or other ecofreak, but I don't see a reason to destroy the ecology of the Bay Area so folks in LA can have water running down the street from their poorly aimed sprinklers.

And, yes, I lived in the Bay Area (Napa) in the late 1970s and I watched this happen.
I took a California Govt class in college (San Diego State) and this is exactly where the 'great divide' began (or at least that's what the Professor said). But since San Diegans generally dislike Los Angeles, we pretty much agree with your argument!

Blowing up the pumps fixes the 'poorly aimed sprinkler' problem? From your post I think I'd start with implementing water restrictions on SoCal and save blowing up the pumps for a backup plan...

; )

I have done it but in general I refrain. I hate Nor-Cal stickers and don't even know why we are fighting (Nor-Cal vs So-Cal). Can't we all just get along?
Years ago, at the filing window in the Clerk's Office in the San Francisco courthouse, there was a sign that simply read,

"We don't care how they do it in Los Angeles!"
:D

"We don't care how they do it in Los Angeles!"
:lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl:

We had tee shirts at my college (SDSU) that said "FUCLA." I thought they were so funny. (Apologies to any Los Angeles people on the board).

I have done it but in general I refrain.

Yeah, there were already two abbreviations for California (Cal. and CA), so why invent another one? :dunno:

I hate Nor-Cal stickers and don't even know why we are fighting (Nor-Cal vs So-Cal). Can't we all just get along?

I guess I'm not a true Northern Californian, because I actually like Southern California.

The only thing that bugs me about Southern Californians is their habit of putting "the" in front of every highway number!

:lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl:

We had tee shirts at my college (SDSU) that said "FUCLA." I thought they were so funny. (Apologies to any Los Angeles people on the board).

I've seen those shirts at WSU, as well. Especially when UCLA is in town for football.

The only thing that bugs me about Southern Californians is their habit of putting "the" in front of every highway number!

Amen to that. They do that in the UK, but they say lots of funny things there. LA? Who do they think they're fooling? BTW, I heard the same thing on a Portland, Oregon station yesterday while driving home. The insanity is spreading.

I have several friends who've transplanted to New England who do this, and it's amusing.

The first time one of them gave me directions I had a real WTF moment though.

You kids in California can't share your water we send you, we'll just have to stop sending it. ;)

You kids in California can't share your water we send you, we'll just have to stop sending it. ;)

I don't think Northern California gets any of that water. I think ours comes from the Sierras and the Mount Shasta area, plus some locally.

Back