Trivia Rant Thread

I hate this one and I don't even know if I'm correct. TV reporter states, "he died of an apparent heart attack."

You can die from a heart attack. Or, you can die, apparently from a heart attack. But you can't die of an apparent heart attack.

Don't shoot I, it's me.

Or, you can die apparently, from a heart attack.

Hope that your doctor checks your vitals really well before committing you to the morgue.

"Circle back around" has replaced "Why don't you finish the damn job we hired you to do?!" in CorporateLand.

"Why don't we circle back around with the customer to see if they're satisfied with the root-cause analysis we provided after the outage."

And my favorite, "Begs the question". http://begthequestion.info/

"Begging the question" happens around here with regularity. It has nothing to do with actually asking a question.

"Who's" instead of "whose" is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me!

Everything is, like, you know...

You know, like I mean everything.

"Like"!!! Ugghhhh.

I struggle with that one myself and it's annoying that I picked it up from peers/culture/whatever.

I'm sure people wonder why I pause mid-sentence and grimace sometimes, when I hear myself using it.

"And he was like... And then she was like..."

Argggggh.

It's a great drinking game though.

Every time you hear someone on TV saying "like" not in reference to "similar" or "enjoy", take a drink.

You'll be plastered in a very short period of time. Way faster than the Bob Newhart, "Hi Bob!" game.

For alcohol poisoning, add in any time someone says "ummmmm".

If you ever want to rid yourself of "ummmmm" completely, edit a podcast.

I have a healthy collection of "ummmms" on my hard drive. ;)

People who say "whenever" when they mean "when."

For example - "Do you remember whenever we went to the park that one time?" UGH.

"All the sudden" - You're dumb.

"Should Of" instead of "Should have" or "Should've"

People who say "whenever" when they mean "when."

For example - "Do you remember whenever we went to the park that one time?" UGH.

"All the sudden" - You're dumb.

"Should Of" instead of "Should have" or "Should've"

Should Of...should've. Say it out loud. Can you hear a difference? Maybe you saw it in print. That would deserve an, 'ugh'.

Should Of...should've. Say it out loud. Can you hear a difference? Maybe you saw it in print. That would deserve an, 'ugh'.

Yes, people often fall into the homonym trap. That's also why people often write "lead" when they mean "led," since the latter is pronounced the same as the metal "lead." Of course, it's further complicated by the fact that the past tense of "read" is spelled "read." English is not consistent!

Last edited:
Anyone over the age of 16 who uses "kewl."

And yes, Grant, you can tell me again "don't be crewl!" :)

Last edited:
You are receiving VFR flight following and the controller tells you to notify them of any altitude changes. You're handed off to the next controller, and you follow your instructions to notify them before descending, and they come back with "VFR altitude your discretion" with a tone of voice that suggests they are thinking "Why is he bothering me with this?"

Funny. On Monday last week, on the almost three hour flight home, I told one controller about something the previous controller had said to me.... before I was handed off. The current guy acted like he did not know / understand what was going on (and frankly, neither did I, which is why I asked for clarification).

Dude like, us people from Cali are totally allowed to talk like that!

OMG everyone knows I totally TYPE "dude" and "like" in most of my posts. On a board, I prefer to use what I call conversational English. At work, I compose business professional level letters - but not here. No way. I like to think of this as similar to the "man cave" - a guy's hangar at the local airport I hang out in after all the pilots get off work and we all drink Coors Light and tell aviation stories.

If I loose my engine in a decent over the dessert, and I don't pull back too hard on the yolk I might just make it to the hanger.

If I loose my engine in a decent over the dessert, and I don't pull back too hard on the yolk I might just make it to the hanger.

Only if you are careful with the breaks! Remember to use the chalks if you don't make it to the hanger!

Last edited:
One I see A LOT is substituting "can not" for "cannot"; when I went to school, the former was considered incorrect. Now, it seems ubiquitous.

OMG everyone knows I totally TYPE "dude" and "like" in most of my posts. On a board, I prefer to use what I call conversational English. At work, I compose business professional level letters - but not here. No way. I like to think of this as similar to the "man cave" - a guy's hangar at the local airport I hang out in after all the pilots get off work and we all drink Coors Light and tell aviation stories.

Coors Light is the stuff we export that we won't drink ourselves here in Colorado so we can afford other better beers. ;)

People that are right all the time (in their minds).

Non critical thinking people.

Small minded people.

Rant off!

Fast-talking yankee controllers who mumble, then get snarky when pilots ask them to repeat.

Do you mean like saying Trivia rant thread instead of Trivial rant thread ;)

A trivial rant is a rant that is trivial. A trivia rant is a rant about trivia.

So there! :p

A trivial rant is a rant that is trivial. A trivia rant is a rant about trivia.

So there! :p

Trivia is obscure facts (The Cisco Kid's sidekick's horse was named Loco)
Trivial is people who obsess over the improper use of there vs they're.

Trivia is obscure facts (The Cisco Kid's sidekick's horse was named Loco)
Trivial is people who obsess over the improper use of there vs they're.

Trivia are obscure facts! :D (Also, unimportant ones, by the way.)

One of the purposes of this thread is to give people a place to rant about trivial stuff where it won't bother people who are discussing more important matters.

Last edited:
One of the purposes of this thread is to give people a place to rant about trivial stuff where it won't bother people who are discussing more important matters.

Like treadmills, ketchup on hot dogs, overhead breaks, flight suits, visene in the Captain's coffee, never ending debates over poorly written regulations and even poorer Chief Counsel interpretations, and Ramen noodles. :)

Like treadmills, ketchup on hot dogs, overhead breaks, flight suits, visene in the Captain's coffee, never ending debates over poorly written regulations and even poorer Chief Counsel interpretations, and Ramen noodles. :)

What if a Captain wearing a flight suit ate Ramen for breakfast, drank visene poisoned coffee, and then tried to take off from a treadmill for the sole purpose of overhead breaks? :yikes:

What if a Captain wearing a flight suit ate Ramen for breakfast, drank visene poisoned coffee, and then tried to take off from a treadmill for the sole purpose of overhead breaks? :yikes:

It won't work..:nonod: Federal law requires the captain to hang a louie at the closest reverse high speed.:D

MLOD, don't forget the MLOD!

Ooooo. How about this one... "Too shay" and "wa la" instead of touché and voilà. If you're gonna use dem foreign words, use 'em right.

I can't stand when I trip and fall and some wisea** that sees it and is literally RIGHT there asks," Did you fall?" YEAH NO S*** I fell, what did you think I was doing, chillin' on the cement? Of course I meant to make me knee bleed and that's why I'm still on the ground.

Another one is when people cannot say gracias (or any foreign word) correctly. I have heard gracious,grassy a**, glassious,grayshious, grackeyus,greyous, you name it. Having my family called Mexican is kind of annoying after a while as well.

OH and while on Spanish; having a conversation like so: "Oye hombre I went to the mall pero bought nada porque mi mama, she called and was like mira, come back home." I am guilty of this one and it drives me crazy but it's annoying, are we talking in english or spanish?

What's with the whole "Oddballs go East" thing? Why must we East Coast folks be weird? Always a CFI from the west coast teaching that too!

Back