Trip Plan

AuntPeggy

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Namaste
Hubby has almost finished his plan for our marathon vacation this year, including fuel stops. Of course, weather, family, and other things will make last minute changes.

KHPN KLBE KBMG KPTS KRVS KPNC KCNM KSAD KYUM KOKB KLPC O31 O23 KEUG KFHR KAWO KGEG S49 KAOC KWYS KJAC KTHP KGXY KSYF ... KHPN

We start next week and plan about 2-1/2 weeks (5000 nm) for completion in our C-172.

Hubby has almost finished his plan for our marathon vacation this year, including fuel stops...KPTS
Peggy, KPTS is where my husband does most of his flight instruction. It's only 25 miles from our farm and airstrip (08MO). If you let me know when you will be at KPTS, I'll try to run over to meet you...maybe we can even do lunch. :)

Peggy, KPTS is where my husband does most of his flight instruction. It's only 25 miles from our farm and airstrip (08MO). If you let me know when you will be at KPTS, I'll try to run over to meet you...maybe we can even do lunch. :)
Hubby has a job interview on Friday in Pittsburg. I was planning to stay behind in Tulsa and annoy the children as there wouldn't be anything for me to do, but I could come along and visit you. Are there any 20' narrow fields near there? Maybe your hubby could help me out with practice on narrow strips. We will be landing in NM on a 20' gravel strip and it has me kind of concerned. Our nearest narrow strip is over an hour from home.

Hubby has a job interview on Friday in Pittsburg.
Wow, really? Where is his interview? I have lots of family and friends at Pittsburg. My brother is chairman of the biology department at PSU.

I was planning to stay behind in Tulsa and annoy the children as there wouldn't be anything for me to do, but I could come along and visit you. Are there any 20' narrow fields near there?
Let me know which Friday, and I'll check my calendar. The most narrow strip we have around here is 45'...sorry.

Diane
You could take Peggy up to 78Y North west MO, This is a very interesting strip and Joe the instructor there is a great CFII and DE. The A/FD says 20 feet I would say closer to 15ft. I have taken some intruction there and you will learn to keep on the center. I learned more from Joe in a couple of hours than any other instruction I have taken! Many of the other local CFII's will not go in there. He has an old 172 he gives instruction in and also owns the Type certificate for and builds Porterfields.

660 582 3791 Joe and Jo ( his wife)

Holy buckets!

I just plotted the trip in AeroPlanner.. That is one heckuva trip! That's awesome!

This is my third attempt to upload a picture of the planned trip.

Attachments

• July2007Trip.bmp
    2.1 MB · Views: 62
hey Peg I fly out of GXY let me know when you come through and I'll stop by and visit. Also Sidney, NE (SNY) has a bus or courtesy car from the airport to Cabela's, if your into that sort of thing.
Adios,
Iz

That sounds like a hell of a fun trip, Peggy. I'm jealous!

Wow, really? Where is his interview? I have lots of family and friends at Pittsburg. My brother is chairman of the biology department at PSU.

Let me know which Friday, and I'll check my calendar. The most narrow strip we have around here is 45'...sorry.
He is interviewing with Anywhere Map. Friday morning this week. I'd love to get together.

hey Peg I fly out of GXY let me know when you come through and I'll stop by and visit. Also Sidney, NE (SNY) has a bus or courtesy car from the airport to Cabela's, if your into that sort of thing.
Adios,
Iz
GXY looks like Thursday or Friday, Jul 12 or 13. I'd love to meet you. I'm afraid I don't know what Cabela's is. We'll have a 7-year-old grandson with us.

That sounds like a hell of a fun trip, Peggy. I'm jealous!
Do you think you could pretend to be the 8-year-old grandson who probably won't get permission to come?

GXY looks like Thursday or Friday, Jul 12 or 13. I'd love to meet you. I'm afraid I don't know what Cabela's is. We'll have a 7-year-old grandson with us.

Cabela's is a chain of large outdoors/sporting equipment stores. Each one is supposed to be quite an experience. We've got one under construction near home, so I'll get to experience it when they open.

Currently at LBE - Arnold Palmer - smooth IFR flight with haze. Left at 7:30 am & arrived about 15 minutes ago. Briefer somewhat hopeful for VFR flight to BMG. I'm off

Ran into building masses of cumulus. Ran around them. Ran over them. Ran under them. Finally stopped at 4I3 to catch our breath. Worst landing I've ever done. Bad girl! Hubby took the reins and now we are stopped at BMG, Bloomingdale, Indiana. We have a crew car, a motel room, and we will soon have some dinner and a shower.

Tomorrow, we forge onward to Tulsa. Home to two of our children and their sundry significant others and several grandchildren.

Have fun. We're having a great time.

Ran into building masses of cumulus. Ran around them. Ran over them. Ran under them. Finally stopped at 4I3 to catch our breath. Worst landing I've ever done. Bad girl! Hubby took the reins and now we are stopped at BMG, Bloomingdale, Indiana. We have a crew car, a motel room, and we will soon have some dinner and a shower.

Tomorrow, we forge onward to Tulsa. Home to two of our children and their sundry significant others and several grandchildren.

Have fun. We're having a great time.

Please don`t let them know you called Bloomington, home of IU, Bloomingdale. :hairraise:

Please don`t let them know you called Bloomington, home of IU, Bloomingdale. :hairraise:
Oh, no. Was that a senior moment? Or a NYC moment?

We are waiting for our IFR clearance from Bloomington now. Next stop is TKX. If we cannot make it to Tulsa tonight, we'll try to make it direct to PTS on Friday.

For Nick, we are taking GoFlyAmerica pictures at every stop.

Last edited:
BMG TKX GCM
We tried to beat the weather to Tulsa, but ten minutes from RVS, approach told us that RVS was experiencing heavy rain and visibility less than 1 mile. We opted for Claremore, the home of Will Rogers. A phone call brought a daughter and granddaughter. We are at their house for the night. Love the Claremore airport. Nice modern facility with old-fashioned welcome.

So far, we have been to some really great airports. Everyone has been so helpful. At Kennett, the manager came out and asked permission to fuel us at the self-service pump. At Bloomington, they made arrangements for a great room at a significant discount.

Tomorrow we will be going to Pittsburg, KS. If the weather is willing.

At Kennett, the manager came out and asked permission to fuel us at the self-service pump.

Kennett has become a normal stop if I need fuel enroute from Iowa to Alabama. It's normally the cheapest 100LL over the entire route and the facilities are top notch!

Unexpected family emergency caused us to eliminate/postpone trip to PTS Pittsburg Kansas. Flew through clouds to minimums to PNC Ponca City. Heavy rain moved out just in time for us. Love that GPS. Love the GPS approach. Love that WX XM weather. Used NavAir AirGator to watch the weather so we knew even before Approach told us that the heavy rain at Ponca was moving North away from the airport.

Flew out to Bud Riggs' ranch in New Mexico. As soon as we reached Lubbock, the weather cleared and it was smooth air the rest of the way. Now we are headed back to Ponca City and nasty weather.

We're back in Ponca City. The clouds started up as expected and when we neared Ponca, there was a cell bearing down from the south. Since the winds were 360 at 6, we studied the GPS 35 approach, but finally decided to land with a tailwind on the ILS 17. Don landed with plenty of runway anyway.

Wish us luck. If the judge is in our favor, we'll be leaving tomorrow to continue our vacation. Otherwise, we'll be back in court Thursday and start then.

Fire TFRs popping up like weeds in CA. Just today I flew over or near 3 brand new fires with 5 others within 20 nm of my route. Yesterday was about as bad.

Joshua TRACON vectored me clear of two TFRs not yet dessiminated. That was weird because I've never had APP/DEP do that.

Flew out to Bud Riggs' ranch in New Mexico. As soon as we reached Lubbock, the weather cleared and it was smooth air the rest of the way. Now we are headed back to Ponca City and nasty weather.

I got a pretty good picture of their takeoff.

168569496-M.jpg

Cabela's is a chain of large outdoors/sporting equipment stores. Each one is supposed to be quite an experience. We've got one under construction near home, so I'll get to experience it when they open.

Sidney was the orignal Cabela's mail order hunting/fishing headquarters. The had a building where the sold the returns cheap, the Bargin Cave. Then they went retail, then opened more stores. Not as many bargins but still a good trip. Ask Unicom to call Cabelas for the shuttle.

Ditto if you make Greeley. I just west and have my work done at GXY.

PNC BGD
We will not have either of the grandchildren with us. One mother refused permission while the other father alleged child-abuse and was granted emergency custody. We left in heavy skys that followed us all the way to Borger, Texas. Looking ahead on the radar, we decided to stay the night rather than take a chance with the line of thunderstorms blocking the way to Albuquerque.

You may have noticed we have made changes to the flight plan...

BGD AEG SEZ OKB

We always like to stop at Double Eagle (Albuquerque). We snacked on an apple, banana and bagel before continuing to Sedona for lunch overlooking red rock cliffs. Although we had flown by before, this was our first attempt to land there. Another wonderful adventure as Hubby came in a little high and fast in anticipation of downdrafts. Nevertheless, our arrival and departure were without incident other than our awe at the view.

Sedona was followed by unending heat and misery as we couldn't climb high enough to cool ourselves or the computer we carried for weather information. Fortunately, there was only one kind of weather to be had. Heat.

We arrived at Oceanside just minutes before everything closed up. Rented a car and arrived here with son, grandson, and daughter in law. Will go to the beach today, take little yakity-yak for a ride around the patch, and watch fireworks.

Tomorrow we go up to Chico.

Awww, you were at KAEG. I'm in Albuquerque. Too bad, I would have liked to have met ya!

Awww, you were at KAEG. I'm in Albuquerque. Too bad, I would have liked to have met ya!
I was thinking of you and would like to visit. As usually happens, we stayed the minimum allowble time. Don't know how to reach you anyway.

OKB L45 O23
We arrived at the Oceanside airport just as the FBO was opening up. Leaden skies decreed an IFR flight plan and a phone-call clearance. After a half dozen calls and 3 hours we got a lift to the local mexican restaurant. We were finally off about 1:30. Hubby filed VFR on top & then cancelled IFR but retained flight following for the Shoreline VFR corridor over LAX. (2 firsts)

Then, 4 hours behind planned, went straight to Bakersfield instead of going up the coast to see the Golden Gate bridge. sigh. Something left for another time.

Refueled in record time at Bakersfield and then raced up to Chico and family. Tomorrow we prepare for the wedding, the 7th is the wedding, then we're off again on the 8th.

For those who wonder what has happned to us:

The wedding was wonderful. I hired a CFI for a little landing practice. Then we found out that the pilot who introduced us to flying was celebrating his 70th birthday at the hangar on Sunday, so we crashed the birthday party and had a great time.

9 July was a full day of flying for me. Because of the legal battle raging in Oklahoma, we cut off the northern part of the vacation trip and returned.
O23 (Chico CA), HTH (Hawthorne NV), CDC (Cedar City UT), AEG (Albuquerque NM)
Sorry we missed SkyHog again. Congratulations on the new job.

10 July continued AEG DHT(Dalhart TX) PNC (Ponca City OK).

11 July Hubby had a job interview so I flew PNC (Ponca City OK) to PTS (Pittsburg KS), but was really tired, so he flew back PTS to PNC. Then he collapsed at daughter's home for a 3-hour nap. Thunderstorms through the night did not wake us much and in the morning the back roads were once again passable.

12 July Daughter had a medical test followed by legal consultation. Tomorrow she has surgery. Hubby will stay here with his daughter and I will fly to Tulsa (RVS) to spend Friday on business and probably return to PNC late Friday after the normally occurring summer thunderstorms are abated.

After this is all over, we will probably write up a trip report that rivals War and Peace for length.

Flight plan RVS to PNC is filed. Slowly moving toward the airport.

Thanks for posting this - I've enjoyed reading it! (sorry to hear about the child-custody machinations ... people can be such butt-heads :()

Back