Trio autopilot upgrade

Mark Nestler

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
NESTIAM
Looking at possibilities for upgrading an autopilot to a Trio Pro Pilot for a Grumman AA5. Very few shops install Trio products. I found one shop Plane Instruments in Winter Haven, FL. However, very few reviews online and no pilots I know have ever been there. Anyone had work done at this location?

We have installed a Trio in a Grumman, but it is not flying yet. Hopefully it will be flying in another week or two.

We have installed a Trio in a Grumman, but it is not flying yet. Hopefully it will be flying in another week or two.

What's the actual install time vs their projected install time?

For certified aircraft, does the Trio autopilot, and the Tru trak for another, require connections with an AI and/ or an DG/HSI to work properly? I think dependence on its hookup to an authorized gps source is required. In my mind, the least dependence on those input devices, the simpler the install and overall reliability of the autopilot function.

The TruTrak doesn’t require a GPS source, but you lose a lot of lateral functionality if you don’t have one. I’m not sure if the trio requires one or not, but the same situation as the TruTrak if you don’t have one.

The TruTrak doesn’t require a GPS source, but you lose a lot of lateral functionality if you don’t have one. I’m not sure if the trio requires one or not, but the same situation as the TruTrak if you don’t have one.
Right. From the AFMS (limitations section): "After a GPS failure, the only lateral autopilot mode available is the BANK mode."
So basically it's reduced to a wing leveler.

- Martin

Back