Tried Killing Myself with the help of 3 beers on Final

CARLOS W

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Wild2fly
Damn Auto Errect! (BigBadLou made me do it)

In all seriousness. Yesterday was my second attempt of venturing solo. My first attempt I made a decision to turn around after i didn't feel comfortable with the current weather ( which was totally different from the METAR and PIREPS) you can see that video without audio here

But yesterday I stayed in the pattern because of time do to scheduling. On my 4th landing attempt mind you winds 120@13-21 using runway 14 with a left xwindid I noticed 1 bee just buzzing around me on downwind. It didn't bother me much and just tried not to spoke the bee. Turning base i noticed 3 bees buzzing around me. I tried opening the windows but the bastards stayed inside. Now i am turning on final and bees are behind me so i just focused on landing the plane. I closed my windows and kept flying the plane down. Of course getting close to my aim point the bees are floating right in front of my face but i could still land the plane. Right when i started my round out one of the bees flew right under my sunglasses and was stuck buzzing against my eye. That really threw me for loop and still managed to land the plane but it wasn't pretty. When that happened i released pressure on the right rudder and left aileron so the plane touched right main wheel first. Then for some freaking reason since i always am holding the throttle i nudge it in a bit and when both wheels where down of course it was shooting to the left. So corrected right away by throttle to idle and right rudder. I contacted tower and told them Stopping and parking because i have bees trying to sting me in the cockpit lol. I am glad i landed safely. I was just thinking what if i was allergic to bees (which i am not) and was stung at any point during the flight or when on final. I just thought i wanted to share of another way that can lead to a bad outcome.

Flying an airplane is always a unique and ,to me, rewarding , never boring experience. Good job ! congratulations on your Solo. Pretty soon a check ride and then the sky is the limit.

Cheers

I have to admit, that's a problem I haven't had yet. I've found wasp nests inside the wing of a 172 before, but never inside the plane. Weirdly, the wasps seemed attracted to the avgas, and collected around the sumps, following me when I dumped the sample back in the tank.

Damn Auto Errect! (BigBadLou made me do it)

In all seriousness. Yesterday was my second attempt of venturing solo. My first attempt I made a decision to turn around after i didn't feel comfortable with the current weather ( which was totally different from the METAR and PIREPS) you can see that video without audio here

But yesterday I stayed in the pattern because of time do to scheduling. On my 4th landing attempt mind you winds 120@13-21 using runway 14 with a left xwindid I noticed 1 bee just buzzing around me on downwind. It didn't bother me much and just tried not to spoke the bee. Turning base i noticed 3 bees buzzing around me. I tried opening the windows but the bastards stayed inside. Now i am turning on final and bees are behind me so i just focused on landing the plane. I closed my windows and kept flying the plane down. Of course getting close to my aim point the bees are floating right in front of my face but i could still land the plane. Right when i started my round out one of the bees flew right under my sunglasses and was stuck buzzing against my eye. That really threw me for loop and still managed to land the plane but it wasn't pretty. When that happened i released pressure on the right rudder and left aileron so the plane touched right main wheel first. Then for some freaking reason since i always am holding the throttle i nudge it in a bit and when both wheels where down of course it was shooting to the left. So corrected right away by throttle to idle and right rudder. I contacted tower and told them Stopping and parking because i have bees trying to sting me in the cockpit lol. I am glad i landed safely. I was just thinking what if i was allergic to bees (which i am not) and was stung at any point during the flight or when on final. I just thought i wanted to share of another way that can lead to a bad outcome.

Do you not use checklists or somthing? It clearly says thoroughly check the interior for bees before all flights.

This little guy waited until I had leveled off at 11,500' to come out from behind the panel.

Screen Shot 2017-05-16 at 3.56.00 PM.png

I wondered how I was gonna land the airplane without touching the throttle. Finally, with two open windows and some aggressive sideslipping in the +20F degree air, he found the exit.

A few days later I mentioned this to a friend, who is a retired USAF T-38 instructor. He shared this story:

When I flew the T-38 I was in the back seat on an instructional flight in Spokane. Canopies go down, onto runway, HUGE hornet in my back cockpit as we released brakes. Flew behind the ejection seat as the burners lit.

On climbout, began buzzing around in front of me. Took a few checklist swipes … now the hornet was mad.

We leveled at FL 230. Ahhh a plan. Told the guy in the front seat to hit the ramp dump switch when I told him to … hornet in front of me … NOW … hornet's wings began buzzing as fast as they could … to no avail. The service ceiling of a hornet (not Navy Hornet) is way below FL 230.

When it hit the deck, my flight boot took care of the rest. Repressurize and on with the mission.

Not a checklist item but that’s how to improvise.

This little guy waited until I had leveled off at 11,500' to come out from behind the panel.

View attachment 53578

I wondered how I was gonna land the airplane without touching the throttle. Finally, with two open windows and some aggressive sideslipping in the +20F degree air, he found the exit.

A few days later I mentioned this to a friend, who is a retired USAF T-38 instructor. He shared this story:

When I flew the T-38 I was in the back seat on an instructional flight in Spokane. Canopies go down, onto runway, HUGE hornet in my back cockpit as we released brakes. Flew behind the ejection seat as the burners lit.

On climbout, began buzzing around in front of me. Took a few checklist swipes … now the hornet was mad.

We leveled at FL 230. Ahhh a plan. Told the guy in the front seat to hit the ramp dump switch when I told him to … hornet in front of me … NOW … hornet's wings began buzzing as fast as they could … to no avail. The service ceiling of a hornet (not Navy Hornet) is way below FL 230.

When it hit the deck, my flight boot took care of the rest. Repressurize and on with the mission.

Not a checklist item but that’s how to improvise.

That's what I had but 3 of them.. . Is that a yellow jacket? I just call them bees lol. I know different types just easier

I had a fed with me on a route check when a wasp decided to buzz around the cockpit. I grabbed a checklist and took several swipes at it, the fed grabbed a checklist and took several swipes at it, we both missed.

When I landed and opened the crew exit door, it finally flew out. To our dismay, 4 more flew in.

Again, we took turns swatting with the checklists. After the last landing we finally got the last one.

Who says checklist are useless..???:)

I had a fed with me on a route check when a wasp decided to buzz around the cockpit. I grabbed a checklist and took several swipes at it, the fed grabbed a checklist and took several swipes at it, we both missed.

When I landed and opened the crew exit door, it finally flew out. To our dismay, 4 more flew in.

Again, we took turns swatting with the checklists. After the last landing we finally got the last one.

Who says checklist are useless..???:)

My co-owner and I killed about a hundred mosquitos that decided to join us for a dusk departure out of Iowa City one evening with sectionals.

And we learned never to depart Iowa City right at dusk in the summertime. Holy crap. Swarm. Ten minutes earlier we would have been fine.

I wonder how many fatal accidents were never correctly identified as spider or bee distraction? I'm being totally serious. There is zero way for an accident investigator to ever find the cause.

I wonder how many fatal accidents were never correctly identified as spider or bee distraction? I'm being totally serious. There is zero way for an accident investigator to ever find the cause.

Officer: "Why did you crash in to that phone pole?"
Driver: "I was trying to kill a fly!"

Could be some truth here. How many car accidents are caused by a bee or wasp distracting the driver.?

3 beers on final? That's a serious problem....

You might spill them.
Hey, the FAA's rule is "8 hours bottle to throttle", nobody said nuttin' about beer cans.
Frankly, if you can juggle 3 beers on final and still land safely, you deserve them. :)

Carlos, glad you followed your training and landed safely (who cares whether it was pretty). But then again, I know what you do for a living and I also know that you face emergencies and have to keep a cool head on a regular basis. :)

There are BEES ON THE PLANE!!!
th

Sorry... couldn't resist...

Back