Traveling With Dogs

iamtheari

Administrator
Management Council Member
Display Name

Display name:
Ari
I have an airplane. I have a dog who loves to fly with me. But we rarely go anywhere because of logistics at the destination, mostly the issue of ground transport from the airport to the hotel, trail head, or wherever else we are going. For those of you who fly places with your dogs, how do you deal with rental cars, ride-share services, taxi cabs, and/or courtesy cars?

Most rental car companies will allow a dog in the car if it’s in a crate. Not sure about the other options. Generally we leave the dogs with family or board them.

Plan ahead... is the plan more important than bringing the dog... board it. Is the dog more important than the plan... find a plan that is dog friendly... with the obvious now stated... my job is done here...

When I fly with my dog it's to places where I can bring the dog without special arrangements. Otherwise he stays home and I have a family member watch him.

I take my dog with me to the Bahamas which presents its own special set of problems. I have to have a permit each time I bring her in.

Once there, she is treated as a paying passenger in the cab. Thankfully they let her ride on the ferry for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I take my dog with me to the Bahamas which presents its own special set of problems. I have to have a permit each time I bring her in.

Once there, she is treated as a paying passenger in the cab. Thankfully they let her ride on the ferry for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’ve always wondered about that - from where/whom is the permit issued?

We take our two pugs with us on > 50% of our flights.

We bring a blanket for seats so that they can relax and not get hair everywhere.

Enterprise Rental just gave me a "oh, and we don't allow pets", as they brought the car to us. She saw my wife holding the dog's leashes, and said.... "but we won't worry about that today".

Airport Courtesy Cars are generally beat-up enough as to not notice Fido in the seats.

Uber / Lyft drivers are hit-n-miss on if Fido offends them or not, but with lap dogs, I have only had one driver say he'd rather not. Simple solution, re-hail another driver.

Uber / Lyft drivers are hit-n-miss on if Fido offends them or not, but with lap dogs, I have only had one driver say he'd rather not. Simple solution, re-hail another driver.
I wish there were a way to flag that I have a dog when requesting a ride through the app. That way the driver could accept the ride knowing what he's getting into, or at least knowing that there's a dog involved.

Enterprise Rental just gave me a "oh, and we don't allow pets", as they brought the car to us. She saw my wife holding the dog's leashes, and said.... "but we won't worry about that today".
This says otherwise:
https://www.enterprise.com/en/help/faqs/car-rental-pet-friendly-policy.html

And that's exactly why I posted this thread. You can't always trust individuals working for a big company to follow the company's policies. Real-world experience is valuable in this context.

My Black Lab rides in crew cars and Uber. Never been turned down.

I’ve always wondered about that - from where/whom is the permit issued?

Bahamian government. You make application, pay $35 and then they issue the permit. Dog has to be "cleared" by a vet for each visit and must sign off on a medical form. Each permit is $35. You have to have a permit for every entry. In March I had 2 entries, one week apart. $70 for them. They just want the $$.

I have an airplane. I have a dog who loves to fly with me. But we rarely go anywhere because of logistics at the destination, mostly the issue of ground transport from the airport to the hotel, trail head, or wherever else we are going. For those of you who fly places with your dogs, how do you deal with rental cars, ride-share services, taxi cabs, and/or courtesy cars?
J'ai fini

I wish there were a way to flag that I have a dog when requesting a ride through the app. That way the driver could accept the ride knowing what he's getting into, or at least knowing that there's a dog involved.

Uber is supposed to accept pets. In fact, before Christmas I couldn't get my dog on the American flight (long story) so I got an Uber and ONLY the dog traveled back to my house. I hope that never happens again.

My Black Lab rides in crew cars and Uber. Never been turned down.
Do you use a carrier or bring a towel or something? Any tips to ensure you never get turned down by Uber drivers?

Uber is supposed to accept pets. In fact, before Christmas I couldn't get my dog on the American flight (long story) so I got an Uber and ONLY the dog traveled back to my house. I hope that never happens again.
I'm glad that Uber came through for you on that. I have never tried to fly commercial with my dog, and likely never will. Stories like this are a big part of the reason why. My understanding is that Uber is pet-friendly but its drivers make the call on whether a particular pet is allowed in the car. That seems entirely fair to me and I won't fault anyone for reserving the right to say no to a specific dog even if it might be mine.

That works for many people. I'm not one of them. If you read my post on the emotional support animals thread from last week, you'll see why I would be in an absolutely untenable position if I tried anything of the sort.

I'm glad that Uber came through for you on that. I have never tried to fly commercial with my dog, and likely never will.

The only reason Autumn was not allowed on the flight was because I was flying non-rev (through a aa employee friend). I routinely fly with her in the cabin when I'm a revenue customer, and also with my mileage tickets. But, the employee passes do not allow. Bummer.

I would NEVER put an animal in the baggage compartment.

Do you use a carrier or bring a towel or something? Any tips to ensure you never get turned down by Uber drivers?.

Once the Uber driver is chosen, I text them to let them know I have a dog and if that's ok. Only once has driver asked us to put him on a blanket and ironically she had the nastiest car we've ridden in!

Back