Traveling to KSRQ (Sarasota FL) FBO Recommendation

GDMCC

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Greg
I will be heading to Sarasota this weekend in the 400 for the week. I have gone to Venice the past few years but thinking about KSRQ this year. I noticed there are a couple FBO's and one for GA aircraft. The reviews online range from glorious to awful on Rectrix Aerodrome Centers, North Light G.A. .

If anyone is familiar with these FBO's or is based out of SRQ, I would appreciate some insight.
Thanks

It has been three or four years since I flew there; I liked Reatrix. It was not cheapest in terms of fees, but had great service. Because they had room, the pulled my Aerostar into the hangar so we could load the plane when there was a thunderstorm going on. We just hung out there until it finished, they pulled out the plane and we got in and left. The year before, it was 100+ outside, and they put the plane in the hangar for a small fee so it would not bake in the sun.
I do not recall the cheapest place on the field, but I only saved a couple of bucks, and I got crappy service.

Tim

Both Rectrix and Dolphin Aviation are general aviation FBO's, I don't know why you say otherwise. Dolphin is on the west side and Rectrix is on the east side. I used to go to Dolphin some years ago, parking is a little more limited as opposed to Rectrix which has a big ramp and where I've been to more recently.

Last edited:
I have no knowledge of either FBO groups. I'm just seeing online that Rectrix has split into 2 with a piston specific FBO on the north end. The other Rectrix FBO is for jet and turbo prop guys and then there is Dolphin.

I got better service at Dolphin than Rectrix. At Rectrix the piston crowd goes to their "back 40" location. Service isn't bad there, you just know you're not part of the "jet crowd"; their crew cars are at the jet location. :(

Dolphin has been great.

I spoke to a gentleman on the phone who is based at KSRQ and flies a piston single. He said Rectrix North is spot on now and always provides him great service. So I will be giving them a try. Thanks for the replies.

I keep a single at dolphin for the winter,happy with the prices and the service.

I researched both. Pretty comparable pricewise. I finally decided to let my landing pick. Went to dolphin since it was on the active runway.

Both are great. Fuel is pricy relative to my home airport BUT no fuel minimums and no facility fees! IIRC I paid 15 night. The other FBO was a few bucks cheaper but pretty close.

I was there a couple of years ago, went to dolphin. IIRC, the only fee I paid was $16/night for overnight parking. They had rental cars readily available on the field. Once I checked in with the FBO they towed my plane from the ramp to wherever their parking was, they did all the handling for that fee which was nice. I don't remember what fuel was now but from what I remember it was high but not outrageously so.

I've had good experiences at both Rectrix and Dolphin, but have been using Rectrix the last few times I have gone into SRQ.

Abram Finkelstein
N48KY

Back