Traveling for the check ride / DPE

I flew to other airports for both my PP and IR rides. The DPEs weren't based at my home field. No problem. Had to go to both twice.

The PP ride took two tries as the weather precluded flying VFR the first day (didn't improve as expected), so we did the oral the first day and flew the second. Yes, my CFI was with me and we flew home the first day IFR. Nice experience. And, the DPE invited him to come along with we flew. He had never experienced that before. Poor guy had to sit in the back and keep his mouth shut.

The IR ride took two tries because I failed the first one. Got too low on a non-precision approach the first time. Oops. Bet I don't do that again. :)

Relax and best of luck.

I flew to other airports for my Private, MEI, and CFII. Flying home after getting my Private was especially cool.

And, the DPE invited him to come along with we flew. He had never experienced that before. Poor guy had to sit in the back and keep his mouth shut.

We have heard/seen that is no longer allowed/being done here, for quite some time. Some CFIs actually enjoyed it when the aircraft was capable to do it. More feedback on how your student performed. Etc.

But it's a generic "no" from DPEs around here and has been for quite some time. I suspect, but have no way of knowing for sure, that too many didn't "keep their mouth shut". :)

We have heard/seen that is no longer allowed/being done here, for quite some time. Some CFIs actually enjoyed it when the aircraft was capable to do it. More feedback on how your student performed. Etc.

But it's a generic "no" from DPEs around here and has been for quite some time. I suspect, but have no way of knowing for sure, that too many didn't "keep their mouth shut". :)

Well, my PP ride was back in 2001, so there's been plenty of time for rules to change. Sure glad I had run a W&B on the spreadsheet (and printed it out) just for chuckles and grins with the DPE up front and the CFI in the back seat. I don't know what made me do that, but the brownie points didn't hurt when she invited him and I whipped out the printout and said, "We're legal." :)

Back