Travel to GA airports with handgun

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by Salty, Jul 12, 2017.

1. JohnAJohnson

JohnAJohnson Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    JohnAJohnson
    And I sincerely hope you never have to.

Zeldman and Turningfinal like this.
  2. Turningfinal

Turningfinal Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Turningfinal
    Interesting mindset considering that a good pilot is always trying to prepared for the worst, no matter how rare it might be. I apply the same mindset towards personal safety.

Specifically related to flying, I will carry when flying with students, prospective students, or on sightseeing tours. You never know.

Zeldman likes this.
  3. TRocket

TRocket Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Uncle Jesse
    I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6...make of it what you will.

Zeldman and Turningfinal like this.
  4. Everskyward

Everskyward Experimenter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Everskyward
    Much like the aviation regs, it might be better to know what the rules are before you break them, especially because the consequences of getting caught are probably greater. There are obviously many who don't care.

5. labbadabba

labbadabba Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    labbadabba
    I guess because I don't see the point of even bringing a weapon into an FBO. For me, carrying a handgun on my person while flying is just another thing I have to worry about. So if I were flying with a firearm I would just keep it in a bag or in the baggage area.

So to the point, there isn't a question of CC in a FBO.

You wanna pack heat, that's fine. I'd rather people wouldn't but hey, it's America.

6. James331

James331 Ejection Handle Pulled

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    Why would you have a issue with citizens carrying?

7. John221us

John221us En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    John
    You guys must live/visit some pretty sketchy areas, because I have never felt unsafe at an FBO. I understand rural Alaska, but that isn't CC, they pull out a rifle (as they should). I am with @labbadabba I just don't see the point. I guess as long as long your legal, it's your right, but it strikes me as a bit on the creepy side. I am 53 years old and have never felt that carrying a weapon would have increased my safety at any point (and I travel quite a bit). I am not anti guns, but my use for them has been mostly target practice.

8. labbadabba

Display Name:

Display name:
    labbadabba
    I have my reasons but I'd like to remain an active member of PoA.

9. James331

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    What about people exercising their freedom of speech?

Just an American exercising their rights, not sure how it hurts you or anyone else, or why others try to make someone exercising their rights their business.

Heck I've ran into more unstable armed cops than I have unstable carrying normal citizens, yet I don't hear any talk about people being all hot and bothered by police carrying their side arms

10. labbadabba

Display Name:

Display name:
    labbadabba
    I have my reasons. If we ever meet, let's have a beer and discuss them.

11. ChiefPilot

ChiefPilot Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    ChiefPilot
    Actually, not crossing the yellow line on the ramp into the "secure area" is true for ALL states. Whether you can take the weapon out of the plane and walk around with it varies, but you're legally allowed to keep them in the plane (cased etc) under the "Safe Passage" portion of the Firearm Owners Protection Act which was made into law in 1986.

12. flyingron

flyingron Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    FlyingRon
    You didn't say you were leaving it cased in the plane, your previous line talked about carrying a rifle through the FBO.

13. Anthony

Anthony Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Anthony
    The point is not to "bring a weapon into an FBO", but to have it available to you at your destination. It's definitely a personal choice, and I respect your opinion. I see it like an insurance policy for a last resort situation where you or your family's lives are in imminent lethal danger. I carry a fire extinguisher in the plane too. G*d forbid I ever need to use it.

14. ChiefPilot

ChiefPilot Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    ChiefPilot
    I referenced crossing the yellow line on the ramp, which you replied was not true in "ANY STATE". Sorry for your misunderstanding.

15. Zeldman

Zeldman Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    In 38 years of carrying, I have had to show it 4 times. All 4 times the situation and the other folks attitudes turned 180 degrees. If the situation had not changed, my future would have been in doubt.

If you don't like or agree with CC, then how do you feel about open carry? It is legal in New Mexico and other places, but still a few rules to follow, no permit or training required. Where I live it is not unusual at all to see a pistol on a persons hip.

TRocket likes this.
  16. SkyDog58

SkyDog58 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Canis Non Grata
    Guess it will ensure a positive transfer of controls if someone goes all death grip on the yoke. :D

Turningfinal likes this.
  17. saddletramp

saddletramp Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    saddletramp
    I was in law enforcement for 18 years & got used to packing a gun all the time. We were required to carry a gun even off-duty while in our jurisdiction.

Since leaving the force, I carry CC all the time & keep quiet about it.

If you carry & aren't properly trained that's a big mistake. You need to know when & how to use it.

I have to remind myself to put it in my safe when I travel the airlines. I'm so used to having it on me I've forgotten a few times & had to leave it locked in my car.

It's comforting to me knowing that if I have to force land sometime out in the wilderness I at least have my 9MM & extra ammo.

TRocket likes this.
  18. BigBadLou

BigBadLou Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Lou
    Please let's not get this thread locked for political reasons for/against concealer or open carry. We all have different opinions, that's fine.

Salty, as you already pointed out, you did check reciprocal agreements between states, that's the big one. Now as for individual FBOs, you would really just have to call the manager/owner and see what their policy is. If they prohibit it, you can always ask for reason and proof ahead of time, just don't give them your name or tail #. ;)

And as others pointed out, if the state laws allow it, "concealed" means nobody knows you are armed and it's best to keep it that way. ;)

Have a good trip!

19. James331

Display Name:

Display name:
    James331
    Fair enough

20. AKBill

AKBill En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    AKBill
    Alaska in the past required you to carry a firearm as part of your survival gear. I just looked it up and it seams they changed the regulation and now you are only required to carry 2 signal devices, such as a vary pistol, smoke bombs or railroad flares. Didn't know they changed the regulation.

21. Vortex_AV8R

Vortex_AV8R Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Vortex_AV8R
    Hi all, my second post, but on a topic I feel pretty strongly about. I cannot post links due to not having a high enough post count, but you can google for "Lakeland Linder Hijacking" and stories will come up about a recent event in which a crazy guy, after having committed a litany of offenses, jumped onto the wing of a MOVING Piper and attempted to open the door. It was the plane of another student at the flight school I go to, and everyone was sufficiently rattled. Apparently he told police he was going to make the pilot take him "somewhere."

Recently I ran into a few Lakeland PD officers at a local restaurant I frequent and asked them about it. Turns out he was pretty drugged up and had done a whole lot of bad crap prior to trying to hijack a plane to get away. Extremely crazy turn of events; more a series of bad decisions (on his part) followed by even worse decisions, not so much a planned hijack. Still.

Now, relative to the topic, you can see that just about anything can happen, anywhere, anytime. I don't thump my chest and shout that everyone should carry -- it's a personal decision. It's also a Right in this country, but really it's up to the person if they want to or not. I personally believe very strongly in carrying as I've had a few close calls myself, but with this recent event my eyes were really opened. How crazy does someone had to be to jump on a moving plane as it's leaving the ramp to taxi? Sheesh.

At any rate, if you disagree with carry, that's fine. I don't see it that way but I don't think arguing on the net will solve anything. Merely pointing out that airports may not be as safe as we once thought.

22. Norman

Norman En-Route Gone West

Display Name:

Display name:
    KPTK
    Anthony,

I carry a handgun on a daily basis. Like you said , God forgive that I should have to use it. I will, in defense of myself and others.

Anthony and TRocket like this.
  23. TRocket

TRocket Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Uncle Jesse
    I brought the subject up with a Federal Air Marshall this weekend, he was honest and said he wasn't 100% sure, but as far as he knows there are no federal laws preventing you from carrying on an airport or FBO building. Only the state and local laws to comply with.

24. Chris Scherry

Chris Scherry Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    cscherry
    yep, this.