Travel discounts like CrewConnection?

nagodoches

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
nagodoches
Anyone here ever use their PPL to get discounts on hotels ala CrewConnection.com or similar sites? They seem to be geared towards airline pilots, but I wonder if showing the hotel clerk the FAA card would be just as good... :dunno:

Anyone here ever use their PPL to get discounts on hotels ala CrewConnection.com or similar sites? They seem to be geared towards airline pilots, but I wonder if showing the hotel clerk the FAA card would be just as good... :dunno:

My TWIC card often gets me nice discounts checking in to hotels. I present it as ID, and more often than not I get the government rate. The only problem with a pilot's license is it's not a picture ID.

Those discounts are for airline crewmembers - not some goofball with a ppl !!!

Carry lots of liability insurance...if a hotel clerk gets hurt while falling down laughing you might be in hot water.

Bob Gardner

My TWIC card often gets me nice discounts checking in to hotels. I present it as ID, and more often than not I get the government rate. The only problem with a pilot's license is it's not a picture ID.

You do realize that government rates are usually higher than both AAA and AARP rates, right?

And unless you happen to be in the most expensive part of the county, you can usually do better just calling cold. Palmdale is in the same county as Beverly Hills, and there is simply no way I'm paying $135 for a Motel 6.

You do realize that government rates are usually higher than both AAA and AARP rates, right?
Not in my experience. In fact AARP rates usually SUCK badly in the list of discounts. I did manage to convince a desk clerk that my AOPA card was as good as a AAA card.

My corporate discounts were usually better than either of those and on a par with the (federal) government rates.

My understanding (with limited experience) is that federal gov't rates vary in utility quite widely depending on where in the country you are. They're generally pegged pretty close to the gov't reimbursement rate (because hotels aren't idiots). So in places where the reimbursement rate is significantly lower than the going hotel rate, they're often quite good deals; in places where hotels are cheap anyway, the gov't rate may be on par or (rarely) even a touch higher than what you get with no discount at all.

Not a touch.

No Motel 6 anywhere is worth $135/night.

Yup, AARP rates suck, but not on that scale.

Not a touch.

No Motel 6 anywhere is worth $135/night.

Yup, AARP rates suck, but not on that scale.

Couple of years ago, I paid $280.00 or so for a room night in a La Quinta in Midland, Texas. Oil boom and all that.

They've gone down since then...

I've hard very good luck with asking the FBO I'm using to recommend a hotel. They frequently have deals with local hotels that are much better than I can get calling them, plus they do all of the work for me.

-Dan

I've hard very good luck with asking the FBO I'm using to recommend a hotel. They frequently have deals with local hotels that are much better than I can get calling them, plus they do all of the work for me.

-Dan

I have been invited home by FBO staff on more than one unexpected RON.

And unless you happen to be in the most expensive part of the county, you can usually do better just calling cold. Palmdale is in the same county as Beverly Hills, and there is simply no way I'm paying $135 for a Motel 6.

Yikes.. I could never hand over 135 for that place..:yikes:

And yeah.. CrewConnection is not for PPL holders, its for airline "Crew" members.

Back