Transporting your firearm

Interesting.

So if someone flies into Virginia to go hunting, how would he get his gun from his plane to his buddy’s truck?

A BIG difference between transporting and carrying.

I would do it the same way as using an airline, locked case.

Interesting.

So if someone flies into Virginia to go hunting, how would he get his gun from his plane to his buddy’s truck?

There are only a few air carrier airports. Most are places you'd not want to start your hunting trip from.

I wasn't following this thread but saw I was tagged. Hello all.

I probably won't read four pages, sorry. But, at the risk of opening a pandora's box (in which case disregard) wouldn't your Second Amendment Right protect you.. at least in a broad sense? There can be perfectly legitimate reasons for flying with a weapon, especially if you are over bear country and go down. Paranoia not withstanding (fine, I read some of the thread)

(A) how about podunk airport in some state on your route where you bought gas have any idea what is with you?
(B) why would they care?
(C) why would it be wrong? Presumably, I assume at least in the US logically carriage would be allowed from state X-that-allows to state Y-that-allows.

On part C.. I quickly Googled that to check and found this AOPA hit: https://www.aopa.org/training-and-s...porting-firearms-in-general-aviation-aircraft

The federal safe passage provision
The federal statute that has some applicability here is 18 USC 926A, Interstate Transportation of Firearms, known as the Federal Safe Passage Act. This law provides that anyone who is not prohibited from possessing firearms under federal law (those prohibited include felons, the dishonorably discharged, etc.) may transport firearms from any place where they can lawfully possess and carry such firearms to any other place where they can lawfully possess and carry such firearms. If you can lawfully possess and carry a firearm in both Pennsylvania and Florida, then you can lawfully travel through any state in which you cannot lawfully possess and carry a firearm while on your way from Pennsylvania to Florida. In order to qualify for the federal protection afforded by the act, you have to comply with a few requirements such as unloading and storing the firearm

Cheers all.

Vhttps://www.nj.com/news/2011/01/supreme_court_to_consider_whet.html

Revell was flying from Salt Lake City to Allentown, Pa., on March 31, 2005, with connections in Minneapolis and Newark, N.J. He had checked his Utah-licensed gun and ammunition with his luggage in Salt Lake City and asked airport officials to deliver them both with his luggage in Allentown.

But the flight from Minneapolis to Newark was late, so Revell missed his connection to Allentown. The airline wanted to bus its passengers to Allentown, but Revell realized that his luggage had not made it onto the bus and got off. After finding his luggage had been given a final destination of Newark by mistake, Revell missed the bus. He collected his luggage, including his gun and ammunition, and decided to wait in a nearby hotel with his stuff until the next flight in the morning.

When Revell tried to check in for the morning flight, he again informed the airline officials about his gun and ammunition to have them checked through to Allentown. He was reported to the TSA, and then arrested by Port Authority police for having a gun in New Jersey without a New Jersey license.

Revell was flying from Salt Lake City to Allentown, Pa., on March 31, 2005, with connections in Minneapolis and Newark, N.J. He had checked his Utah-licensed gun and ammunition with his luggage in Salt Lake City and asked airport officials to deliver them both with his luggage in Allentown.

But the flight from Minneapolis to Newark was late, so Revell missed his connection to Allentown. The airline wanted to bus its passengers to Allentown, but Revell realized that his luggage had not made it onto the bus and got off. After finding his luggage had been given a final destination of Newark by mistake, Revell missed the bus. He collected his luggage, including his gun and ammunition, and decided to wait in a nearby hotel with his stuff until the next flight in the morning.

When Revell tried to check in for the morning flight, he again informed the airline officials about his gun and ammunition to have them checked through to Allentown. He was reported to the TSA, and then arrested by Port Authority police for having a gun in New Jersey without a New Jersey license.

Interesting. So in the aftermath, the charge was dropped and eventually the gun was returned to him. As much as it sucks for him, I can see why SCOTUS wouldn’t hear the case.

On the other hand, I think he might have had a case/better success suing the airline. Under the circumstances, they should have known better than to release the weapon to him in a state where it was not legal.

Interesting. So in the aftermath, the charge was dropped and eventually the gun was returned to him. As much as it sucks for him, I can see why SCOTUS wouldn’t hear the case.

Over the years, I've read similar stories from time to time. It's usually the PRNJ or the PRNY. In many of the cases, the accused accepts a plea to some lesser charge rather than expend the funds to fight the case and risk a conviction on a felony weapons charge. If they can get it down to some misdemeanor and pay a fine, that's probably a wise decision, but it encourages the state to continue such actions.

Sadly, some places don't exactly embrace rights.

The federal statute that has some applicability here is 18 USC 926A, Interstate Transportation of Firearms, known as the Federal Safe Passage Act. This
Cheers all.

That only covers the weapon while it is being transported in the vehicle. It doesn't protect you if you remove it from the vehicle (even to move to another vehicle).

See Post # 18 ...

I probably won't read four pages, sorry. But, at the risk of opening a pandora's box (in which case disregard) wouldn't your Second Amendment Right protect you.. at least in a broad sense? There can be perfectly legitimate reasons for flying with a weapon, especially if you are over bear country and go down. Paranoia not withstanding (fine, I read some of the thread)

(A) how about podunk airport in some state on your route where you bought gas have any idea what is with you?
(B) why would they care?
(C) why would it be wrong? Presumably, I assume at least in the US logically carriage would be allowed from state X-that-allows to state Y-that-allows.

On part C.. I quickly Googled that to check and found this AOPA hit: https://www.aopa.org/training-and-s...porting-firearms-in-general-aviation-aircraft

The federal safe passage provision
The federal statute that has some applicability here is 18 USC 926A, Interstate Transportation of Firearms, known as the Federal Safe Passage Act. This law provides that anyone who is not prohibited from possessing firearms under federal law (those prohibited include felons, the dishonorably discharged, etc.) may transport firearms from any place where they can lawfully possess and carry such firearms to any other place where they can lawfully possess and carry such firearms. If you can lawfully possess and carry a firearm in both Pennsylvania and Florida, then you can lawfully travel through any state in which you cannot lawfully possess and carry a firearm while on your way from Pennsylvania to Florida. In order to qualify for the federal protection afforded by the act, you have to comply with a few requirements such as unloading and storing the firearm

Cheers all.

You are trying to use logic. DO NOT DO SO WHEN DEALING WITH FIREARMS LAWS.

Your A and B are basically logical, but the problem comes, your plane breaks in XX state that is not firearms friendly. Anti gun FBO employee sees firearms being taken out of airplane, calls cops, you get arrested, and if convicted, have a Felony Firearms conviction and you cannot own a firearm for the rest of your life.

The Safe Passage Act is part of FOPA and it did not pre-empt local laws, so it is only an affirmative defense. It will probably get you acquitted at the Federal trial level, but how long and how much money is that going to take?

You are trying to use logic. DO NOT DO SO WHEN DEALING WITH FIREARMS LAWS.
Or people, for that matter. It is difficult to overstate how vehemently some people believe that no one should possess firearms, and those who do are dangerous and need to be jailed. Some of those people can and do go out of their way to cause problems.

If you're going to do any overnights at hotels, I'd suggest a way to lock it to some bit of furniture. Hotel safes are usually a bit of a joke, and it's rare but sometimes staff will go through a room for goodies. Last thing you want is to have one stolen while you're sleeping. Maybe overkill, I tend to be a bit overprotective of stuff like that.

Being overprotective of a gun is being smart. Idaho has an enhanced CCW permit that 38 states recognize. Stay away from California. I think Arizona went to permit-less concealed carry a few years ago. When I lived there, they established a system for concealed-carry permits, and my late husband and I applied immediately, but now they are "right to carry" (I think that's what it's called), I think.

The Safe Passage Act is part of FOPA and it did not pre-empt local laws, so it is only an affirmative defense. It will probably get you acquitted at the Federal trial level, but how long and how much money is that going to take?
Scary, thanks for the reply...!

Absolutely! I was trained to never leave a firearm unsecured ...
I put a gun safe in my 350Z. It a finger print to open or you can use a key if the battery is dead. It has a security cable that can be looped arond the seat post or other part of the car or plane.

Back