Transporting your firearm

Thank you! I think this it the part I was most concerned about:
"The firearm must be unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition can be readily accessible from the passenger compartment. In the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. It is recommended that ammunition be in a separate, preferably locked container."

As the baggage compartment is really just the back portion of the cabin, I was wondering if that would be considered "accessible". It sounds like from that text that if I keep them unloaded, with the gun locks in them, locked in a box and placed in the rear compartment, then I should be OK.
To be clear, that is not a requirement for transporting your firearms, but if you do transport them in that manner, you should be legal passing from state to state. Be aware, there are some states, New Jersey comes to mind, that don't care about federal law.

Pretty sure KS/OK/TX don't care as it's mostly permit-less carry as long as you're 21 or older for handguns. Nothing over .45 caliber for handguns in OK, for some odd reason, but nothing armor-piercing in TX.
I believe KS doesn’t require a permit for open carry, but concealed carry still requires a permit, as do certain locations like within a certain distance of a school. I have been told that you can’t drive through Wichita without being in the vicinity of a school for the purposes of carrying firearms.

I believe KS doesn’t require a permit for open carry, but concealed carry still requires a permit, as do certain locations like within a certain distance of a school. I have been told that you can’t drive through Wichita without being in the vicinity of a school for the purposes of carrying firearms.
Not according to most of the online resources I've seen. Apparently in 2015 they passed a permit-less carry bill as long as you're over 21. As with anything, I'd double check with verified sources.

The OP is asking about transporting his firearms, not carrying them in every state that he enters. Just lock them in a case unloaded and be on about your way, until you get to a state that bans specific models of specific things. (Like California)

Man we have a lot of insecure people in this country.
I just have them for home defense and my friend invited me down to use them at the range in Arizona :). He also wants to show me his version of proper maintenance. That was the genesis of me creating this thread.
These weapons are usually locked away in a safe, inside another safe, for about 364/365 days a year! But now that I was planning to transport them down I wanted to make sure I didn't run afoul of any regs.

Thank you! I think this it the part I was most concerned about:
"The firearm must be unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition can be readily accessible from the passenger compartment. In the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment, the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. It is recommended that ammunition be in a separate, preferably locked container."

As the baggage compartment is really just the back portion of the cabin, I was wondering if that would be considered "accessible". It sounds like from that text that if I keep them unloaded, with the gun locks in them, locked in a box and placed in the rear compartment, then I should be OK.

Read carefully.

EITHER the firearm OR the ammunition needs to be in a locked case. A tool box with a lock for the ammo is sufficient. This is what I do when transporting across states in an SUV.

BUT, FOPA is only an affirmative defense. That is, you may still be arrested and charged, but FOPA is likely to get you declared not guilty in a trial if it goes that far.

I would check the laws in the states you plan on stopping in, and deciding if it might be better to stop in a different state.

The OP is asking about transporting his firearms, not carrying them in every state that he enters. Just lock them in a case unloaded and be on about your way, until you get to a state that bans specific models of specific things. (Like California)

unfortunately that doesn’t matter if you unintentionally wind up landing somewhere other than planned. For example, there are many stories of people traveling cattle class with firearms being diverted to Newark, where it is illegal to have a pistol without govt approval.

For the OP’s trip that doesn’t seem to be a concern, the states are gun friendly. Just store them in the baggage compartment, secure them at night, and understand the rules of the states you fly over in case you’re forced to land.

BUT, FOPA is only an affirmative defense. That is, you may still be arrested and charged, but FOPA is likely to get you declared not guilty in a trial if it goes that far.

I’m planning a cross country move within the year and I’ve already consulted a firearms attorney. FOPA protects you while moving to a new residence in another state, but oddly enough doesn’t apply in the state of origin or destination

I was warned that NY takes the ‘in transit’ part very literally. If you stop for the night, for gas, for food, or restroom, they hold that FOPA doesn’t apply and you are subject to felony arrest and confiscation of all firearms. If you are pulled over for a traffic violation, NY has made arrests because you stopped, and so were no longer in transit to your new home.

The attorney speculated that a few other rabidly anti-2nd amendment states might do the same, but NY was the only state with which he was familiar with the cases.

I won’t have to transit NY, but I’m planning to cross Illinois without stopping, while also diverting to give Chicago a WIDE berth.

Last edited:
"If nobody sees it, it didn't happen"... but when I had my forced landing a few years back (in upstate NY) the cops dumped out all of my baggage without my consent or knowledge while I was out by the road talking to other cops. I wasn't carrying anything I shouldn't have, but it still seems like an illegal search... unless it's allowed in such a situation?

When I first got a permit I carried for a while just because I could (I live in a safe place). My main takeaway from it was that guns are heavy.

GRAY MAN THEORY
Gray man theory is based on the premise of blending into a crowd or your surroundings to not attract unwanted attention. The reality for a true gray man is that they are, in fact, prepared for any situation, but they don’t appear to be to the untrained eye.

Smells and Scents
Now hold on just a minute you might be saying at this point. What does the way you smell, or other scents have to do with being a gray man?

Smell is one of our strongest and most important senses, and can warn us of danger, lead us to nourishment, and more. Smells are also easy for people to remember. For this reason, avoid wearing colognes, aftershaves, perfumes, and other scents. Also, in a crisis, don’t worry about washing yourself or putting on deodorant. This can alert other people that you have supplies.

In a crisis or survival situation, food and water are often scarce. The fact that you are prepared and have food will make you a target. Try to avoid cooking food over a campfire, if possible, as these smells will alert others of your good fortune.

The above gave me a chuckle.

My main takeaway from it was that guns are heavy.

Yup, I carried concealed professionally for a while. It is a constant PITA. Belt sagging, digging into your side when you sit, wearing holes in clothing. No way I would want to deal with that in civilian life.

I recommend a careful self assessment of your personality type before deciding to CC. If you are not able to control yourself and walk away from confrontations, you have no business packing. Too many run-of-the-mill arguments become deadly because jackass A or B feels more powerful with a gun. IMO is particularly an issue with older guys who are secretly bothered that they are no longer physically capable of standing up for themselves.

Happened in my own neighborhood, a few streets over. Young guy was watching his kids skateboard at a park. Old guy in the house across the street came out to run the kids off. The men exchanged words, the old guy brandished a gun, a struggle ensued, and the young guy died in front of his kids. The old guy did some prison time, lost his house, and spent the last 10 years of his life in court.

I've always been a fan of the Thompson in a violin case.
So, a tourist is going to a concert in New York - gets lost. Wanders around until he sees a guy with a violin case - "Ah-Ha, he must be a musician, he will know". The tourist goes up to the guy with the case, "Excuse me, but can you tell me how to get to Carnegie Hall?". The guy with the case answers, "Practice, practice, practice."

Just become a Law Enforcement Officer, and don't worry about which states you can and can't carry. LEOSA authorizes duly appointed officers to carry in all 50 states and DC (with obvious exceptions of courthouses/federal buildings/etc. except when on duty).

In a crisis or survival situation, food and water are often scarce. The fact that you are prepared and have food will make you a target. Try to avoid cooking food over a campfire, if possible, as these smells will alert others of your good fortune.

When looking at an advertisement for a whole house generator the photo showed an entirely blacked out city with one house in the middle of it well lit and the occupants obviously living the life of Riley as they say. Talk about making yourself a target ...

When looking at an advertisement for a whole house generator the photo showed an entirely blacked out city with one house in the middle of it well lit and the occupants obviously living the life of Riley as they say. Talk about making yourself a target ...

Especially for Zombies!

Gray man theory is based on the premise of blending into a crowd or your surroundings to not attract unwanted attention

I always dress to blend in when I carry...

61d8a2341e3ad.image.jpg

I don't know about any of the rest of the conversation, but man, boat insurance companies should definitely ask if you are a firearms owner before writing a policy. Owning a firearm increases the odds of a boating accident by about 1,000,000 times.

I don't know about any of the rest of the conversation, but man, boat insurance companies should definitely ask if you are a firearms owner before writing a policy. Owning a firearm increases the odds of a boating accident by about 1,000,000 times.

Especially if you are practicing "shooting fish in a barrel" on the high seas ... :D

Yup, I carried concealed professionally for a while. It is a constant PITA. Belt sagging, digging into your side when you sit, wearing holes in clothing. No way I would want to deal with that in civilian life.

I recommend a careful self assessment of your personality type before deciding to CC. If you are not able to control yourself and walk away from confrontations, you have no business packing. Too many run-of-the-mill arguments become deadly because jackass A or B feels more powerful with a gun. IMO is particularly an issue with older guys who are secretly bothered that they are no longer physically capable of standing up for themselves.

Happened in my own neighborhood, a few streets over. Young guy was watching his kids skateboard at a park. Old guy in the house across the street came out to run the kids off. The men exchanged words, the old guy brandished a gun, a struggle ensued, and the young guy died in front of his kids. The old guy did some prison time, lost his house, and spent the last 10 years of his life in court.

there's a lot of this going on in Texas and FL these days...

IMO is particularly an issue with older guys who are secretly bothered that they are no longer physically capable of standing up for themselves.

This can be a legitimate concern when an old person is confronted by a much younger man that wants to harm him, his family, or take his stuff.

Your advise is good if people will learn to 1) always be aware of their surroundings, 2) know how to de-escalate confrontations, 3) when to hold 'em & when to fold 'em, 4) a good run is better than a bad stand, 5) to not start a fight with their mouth & end it with a firearm, 6) every bullet you fire has your name on it & 7) if aimed at a human will likely cost you more than 10K.

I pray to never, ever have to harm another human ...

Just become a Law Enforcement Officer, and don't worry about which states you can and can't carry. LEOSA authorizes duly appointed officers to carry in all 50 states and DC (with obvious exceptions of courthouses/federal buildings/etc. except when on duty).
Hmmm interesting. I wonder if you could do this as some sort of part time volunteer?

What is the reasoning behind out of reach/unloaded/Ammo locked in separate container, etc?

seems like all of those things would/could have been fatal to the skeet champ in the earlier story.

As a tall man I never thought about this stuff but now as an out of shape old dude…maybe it’s time to carry an assault cane (actually that sounds pretty good) or something

^^^This. Keep it low-key and keep it to yourself.

Exactly. I just moved a significant number of firearms in two cars from MD to our new home in NH including crossing NY and MA with stuff that likely isn't legal in those states. Drove reasonable speeds and didn't stop unless we had to.

Hmmm interesting. I wonder if you could do this as some sort of part time volunteer?
Many states/municipalities have "Reserve" officers who must be CLEET certified and do the same field training as a normal LEO. I'm sure the number of required hours per month or year is different for each department, but I know my local police depts require about 10 hours/month to be on a reserve contract.

Funny pre 9/11 story. We had a US Senator on board for a hunting trip from PUO-DCA. Senator needed to catch a flight, so I go with him to help carry the guns and bags. FBO drives us up to a jetway and we are carrying guns back up to the check-in counter through a secure area, no one stopped us! We probably had ammo also.

Unless you are carrying a gun into an airport with airline service, I would not worry about it.

My favorite airport security story was Bosnia 1996. The French operated the pax terminal at Sarajevo airport. Our unit was getting picked up by a C130 for a trip to do a thing. We were loaded for bear. Every man had a rifle, a pistol, plenty of ammo for each, and assorted grenades, flares, etc. The French made us take off all our stuff, run it through the X-ray machine, go through the metal detector, and then put it back on. I guess to make sure we did not have any weapons other than the weapons we had.

My favorite airport security story was Bosnia 1996. The French operated the pax terminal at Sarajevo airport. Our unit was getting picked up by a C130 for a trip to do a thing. We were loaded for bear. Every man had a rifle, a pistol, plenty of ammo for each, and assorted grenades, flares, etc. The French made us take off all our stuff, run it through the X-ray machine, go through the metal detector, and then put it back on. I guess to make sure we did not have any weapons other than the weapons we had.

A few years before that we left Ft Hood, TX for Ft Irwin (via Edwards AFB) from DFW aboard a chartered civilian 747. Obviously we didn't go through security - our trucks went through the vehicle gates to the tarmac. You have no idea how cramped and uncomfortable economy class is toting a ruck, duffel bag, web gear, helmet and weapon. They may have had some supplies in the cargo bay but we had to lug our own stuff.

The trip back was notable. We came back in a C141. The Air Force was doing a drop on the way back, and when the ramp opened, you could have lit a match even sitting next to it. All was good until one guy decided to barf in his helmet, setting off a chain reaction.

Ownership has nothing to being insecure, the urge to carry one every where you go is a sign of being insecure.

Too bad there wasn't an insecure person at the Allen Outlet Mall last week. I was there the week before.

Back