Transporting an o-300 FWF

DFH65

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
DFH65
We bought an engine to replace the one on our '57 172. I am on the east coast the engine is in Colorado. I am planning to drive out there to get it (my daughter lives there). We purchased the FWF from this airplane. What is the best way to transport this? My truck currently has a cap on it but it could be removed if necessary I suppose. If you built up a stand or crate pictures would be awesome.

Set it on and old car/truck tire and strap it down.

I think I'd drain the oil, and place it on a tire upside down. I don't think the oil sump/pan is all that sturdy and might get damaged otherwise.

I would take a wood skid and a few old tires and chock it as needs be.
My lycoming came on a big chunk of Styrofoam glued to a wood skid.

What is the best way to transport this?
Is the engine in question being removed from a flying aircraft and will be installed on another flying aircraft? Or do you plan to have the engine OH'd?

About 3 years I was told by knowledgeable gurus to set an engine on it’s oil sump, onto a large tire for transport.
Set it down gently, dented the sump bad - before transport.
Just a data point for you.

The last two engines I’ve transported have been upside down with some foam padding under them for cushioning. The firewall forwards were disassembled enough to allow safe and secure transport.

Is the engine in question being removed from a flying aircraft and will be installed on another flying aircraft? Or do you plan to have the engine OH'd?
Coming off a flying airplane that is being parted out due to corrosion and going on an airplane that was flying had a hanger door hit the spinner and prop during a wind storm but is otherwise OK.

Still connected to the mount? Mount bolts to a flat firewall? Bolt it down to a big chunk of plywood or a pallet, or...

Coming off a flying airplane that is being parted out due to corrosion and going on an airplane that was flying had a hanger door hit the spinner and prop during a wind storm but is otherwise OK.
The best luck I've had with plug and play swaps was to pull/transport the engine as complete as possible. As mentioned, if you can pull the assembly at the firewall with the mount then bolt-it to a sold framework and support the prop flange that would be ideal. If not any type wood/metal ship stand that picks up the engine mount pads will work. I'd still pull the carb/airbox regardless and transport separate. In a pinch tires can work provided they are large enough and tall enough to support and protect the engine... but I never went beyond any local destinations with it supported that way. Found a couple pics on the internet to give you some ideas.
1715113080282.png
1715113216441.png
1715113319333.png

If you have your old engine on the ground then it would not be hard to weld up a stand for it ahead of time. This is a stand for a aluminum V8 hemi engine. I would consider using it for starting point.
Also bread/bun dolly's are handy to make engine crates out of. Bread dolly's are everywhere.
IMG_4379.HEIC

MVC-773F.jpg

If you have your old engine on the ground then it would not be hard to weld up a stand for it ahead of time. This is a stand for a aluminum V8 hemi engine. I would consider using it for starting point.
Also bread/bun dolly's are handy to make engine crates out of. Bread dolly's are everywhere.
IMG_4379.HEIC

MVC-773F.jpg
I always enjoy seeing photos of your bullets.

I understand you’re getting the mount with the engine. Standing the whole thing up on its back and bolting it to a piece of three-quarter ply on a pallet seems like a pretty fool proof way to do this. I’m guessing that would still probably fit under your truck cap?

I transported other engines on tires as mentioned, but the success rate for no damage has not been 100%.

If you mount it on a tire (or tires) for any distance make frequent stops and check it, it's going to move around. Last one I did was nose up with mount frame bolted to a simple custom built wooden pallet and everything, including baffles, still in tact with straps from the prop flange securing it. That worked really well even though it was on a trailer and got bounced around pretty good.

Back