Transitioning DC FRZ under IFR

MJR Pilot

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MJR Pilot
I’m planning to fly KCDW to KEZF under IFR in a few weeks. The most frequently approved route on ForeFlight is KCDW-GLOMO-WOOLY-KEZF which would take me directly over the DC FRZ. I didn’t think aircraft were allowed to transit the FRZ unless the pilot has a PIN, but I could be mistaken (PIN may just be required for landing in the FRZ?). I don’t have a PIN and would rather not go through the process of getting one as I rarely fly in this area. I’m assuming ATC will just vector me around the FRZ, but obviously I don’t want to count on that. Anyone have any experience with this?

When you go, Don’t forget to bring your camera so you can take aerial pictures of the H-60’s in formation with you.

I think the pin is needed for landing at one of the three airports in the FRZ.

If IFR you will be controlled appropriately in or out of the FRZ. The pin as noted is only to use one of the MD-2 airports. The third closed late last year.

You may still have to do the online SFRA course online even if going IFR but not sure about that.

I didn’t think aircraft were allowed to transit the FRZ unless the pilot has a PIN, but I could be mistaken (PIN may just be required for landing in the FRZ?).
You need a PIN to take off from or land at one of the MD-32 by the most direct route possible; you can't use it to cut across the FRZ. That said, if you're IFR, they'll tell you where to go. I think the SFRA course is only required for VFR ops but it wouldn't be a bad idea to take it anyway.

Last edited:
For some reason the Washington center computer loves to spit out routes that will never actually be flown. I frequently get KRANT (basically sending me right past the Capitol and directly over RFK stadium) as my first fix departing VKX even though Potomac tracon will assign radar vectors departing to the south and never get anywhere close to the fix.

Last edited:
If you need to do anything special IFR through there then my FRIEND didn't do it right.

Pretty sure you file IFR and fly.

My FRIEND went through the outer ring on the south side on his (or her) way from just outside of the FRZ to Boston. Vectors until the bay and then direct to the fix to hit V16.

I did the class online and ATC was fine for me to go direct destination in the outer ring. I think it’s the inner ring that they are concerned about.

If IFR you will be controlled appropriately in or out of the FRZ. The pin as noted is only to use one of the MD-2 airports. The third closed late last year.

You may still have to do the online SFRA course online even if going IFR but not sure about that.
Which one closed?

Executive/Hyde I think it was called. Potomac and College Park still available.

And back to OP - if IFR there’s no sweat or issue - you’ll be controlled and hence always in the right place if follow the needle.

Thanks all. Agree I should be fine on an IFR flight plan. To play it safe, I just filed a route that takes me around the FRZ. Appreciate the input.

For some reason the Washington center computer loves to spit out routes that will never actually be flown. I frequently get KRANT as my first fix departing VKX even though Potomac tracon will assign radar vectors departing to the south and never get anywhere close to the fix.
A friend of mine always gets Dulles added to his IFR route (armel) which is the last place he wants to get near

Generally speaking, the drill is east side of the SFRA going south, west side coming north. I go DMW to OFP regularly, and never got any thing but PALEO GRACO PXT DCT when I filed going south. Then got vectors to cut the corner and go direct south of the SFRA. Sometimes you can get MIXNN BARIN between the FRZ and IAD depending on IAD traffic, if you are at 3k or below. Ask if you can get it, saves a lot of time. They'll keep you clear of the FRZ, may even keep you clear of the SFRA entirely. File what you want, fly what you get is as true here as it gets.

TBH I don't even file anymore going to airports directly south of the SFRA. Easier to just go vfr around to the west or under the Bravo and stay out of the SFRA all together. But it's a trip to the in-laws, so if weather is bad...;)

A friend of mine always gets Dulles added to his IFR route (armel) which is the last place he wants to get near
I filed what I thought would be a rather reasonable route from OWD to CJR using V3 most of the way which would take me well west of the NYC mess. The computer took it without modification. I'm sitting on the ground at OWD and CD starts to read the clearance and says "Hey, this won't work." He stops and gives me what is the standard clearance which zigzags through a few fixes in Connecticut, down the middle of Long Island Sound, pick up a non-airway radial out of JFK, cross over JFK and pick up V16. This goes down to the eastern shore where I suddenly get "IAD" in my route. Not AML mind you, the airport itself.

I filed what I thought would be a rather reasonable route from OWD to CJR using V3 most of the way which would take me well west of the NYC mess. The computer took it without modification. I'm sitting on the ground at OWD and CD starts to read the clearance and says "Hey, this won't work." He stops and gives me what is the standard clearance which zigzags through a few fixes in Connecticut, down the middle of Long Island Sound, pick up a non-airway radial out of JFK, cross over JFK and pick up V16. This goes down to the eastern shore where I suddenly get "IAD" in my route. Not AML mind you, the airport itself.
Standard route is standard route. I experimented once with a flight from FRG on Long Island back to the Raleigh area, and my experience was the same as yours. The route change actually came while I was walking to the airplane.

But experiences can vary a lot. I was going up to ABE (Allentown PA) from LHZ (Louisburg, just northeast of Raleigh). From prior experience I kind of knew what traditionally worked, but when I saw that cool T-Route (T-295) pretty much following the same route around the east side of the DC Class B, I figured I'd give it a try. I wasn't too worried about getting a full route clearance since I had a pretty good idea what that would be, so it would be easy to copy and read back.

Anyway, I filed it. The Center computer accepted it, I was cleared as filed, and the only change was a shortcut from PHL approach once past the T-route exit.

Clearances can be bizarre. I am at 0W3 in NE MD. Coming south bound. I have a nice clearance to Lancaster then normally a fix to west of 0W3. I always get amended to direct BAL (Baltimore VOR on BWI) and then back out.

WRT< that is 40 miles past my destination, then 40 miles back, plus entering the SFRA AND the Class B.

Going south past the SFRA I normally get the East side, no matter what, coming and going. Even if I am headed South West bound.

Thanks all. I just filed a flight plan that takes me from KCDW to KEZF cutting through the east side of SFRA (but not the FRZ). I filed return plan going north to FDK. Both plans appear to have been accepted but will see if how/they change prior to flight (or during flight). As someone noted above, they did add AML as my first waypoint on the return trip.

Back