Training videos on retractable landing gear?

Skydreamer2015

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Skydreamer2015
Has anyone seen any good training videos on retractable landing gear systems? I am specifically looking for Cessnas. I can't seem to find any. I have found some really good videos on the constant speed props, but nothing on land gear systems. I seem to learn better by watching videos than studying a scamatic. Thanks!

Why do you need a video? Confirm positive rate of climb and flip the switch. It isn't like Cessnas have Johnson bars or something.

For landing, slow down to gear speed and land. All this said, I always thought retractable Cessnas looked downright silly. But that's just one fat ugly bald buy's opinion.

Not really. What parts are you having difficulty with?

Not anything in particular. Just wanted something easier to help me study the landing system for the oral portion of my commercial ride.

Why do you need a video? Confirm positive rate of climb and flip the switch. It isn't like Cessnas have Johnson bars or something.

For landing, slow down to gear speed and land. All this said, I always thought retractable Cessnas looked downright silly. But that's just one fat ugly bald buy's opinion.

Well, if (s)he is studying for a Commercial rating, or CFI, "flipping the switch" isn't enough and they'll be quizzed on how the system works for the former, and have to draw it and teach it for the latter. You don't get away with just knowing there's a gear handle and what the emergency extension procedure is once you're past the Private practical test.

And some instructors teaching on certain airframes may assign homework on how the system on the airplane they're using for training works, also.

Not anything in particular. Just wanted something easier to help me study the landing system for the oral portion of my commercial ride.

That's what I figured. Commercial.

I try to get photos of the components during inspections for airplanes I'm going to teach Commercial students in and then you can go over each component with a real photo of it, with a block or simplified diagram to describe what it's all doing. Makes it feel a little more real that way.

Also the photos pull double duty as handouts to the DPE if they ask you to teach a specific system, although a photo often won't be enough of a description nor really show what's going on. It's usually something you'd show after describing the system.

Example: You can't see the hydraulic piston moving inside the housing it's in, but you can explain that it's a tube and explain that hydraulic fluid isn't compressible, so when you pump one way, the gear is pushed down, and when you pump the other way, the gear moves back up.

A pretty simple diagram can show how a single hydraulic piston and a pump with a reversing switch can drive landing gear up and down.

Similar for whatever form the emergency extension mechanism takes the form of. In some airplanes it's releasing the hydraulic system from the gear mechanical and gravity and springs push it down, in others it's a backup electric or hydraulic pump.

And of course, don't forget to think about how the gear stays in either fully retracted or fully extended positions (hydraulic pressure, down locks, etc.) and how those are overridden or not in the emergency mode.

Unfortunately this is one of those things where when you're prepping for the Commercial ride, you're also expected to learn it from whatever material you can find. Guaranteed your CFI has probably prepped to teach it before, as have others, so ask a few local CFIs to explain the system to you. Some will have better material to show you than others. And some draw great diagrams on the whiteboard.

I haven't seen any good/consistent tech videos of this stuff. I have seen some bootleg UND, ERAU, and ATP documents floating around the Net for the aircraft types they specifically use in their fleets, but you didn't say which specific Cessna you're training in. If it's a type one of those big schools uses, Google a bit for their stuff. It's out there.

Another tip. If the school you're at is flying the airplane a LOT, ask to specifically be notified when a 100 hour or annual inspection is coming up. Especially if they're going to swing the gear. Then go watch. Just watching it happen in person and asking a few questions of the mechanic -- if that's possible where you are going to be flying -- is another great way to really learn the systems.

"Slow down to gear speed and land"... you forgot one important step. Perhaps you should view the video...

..................... I seem to learn better by watching videos than studying a scamatic. Thanks!
I searched and couldn't find one either. Why don't you make one? I don't mean that sarcastically. Get the POH and schematic and pretend to make a video. That should help you in learning

"Slow down to gear speed and land"... you forgot one important step. Perhaps you should view the video...
Yeah yeah yeah. I guess I thought that things like GUMPS were taught universally, and the only thing a pilot really had to add to the mix was gear speed and the gear switch. I always get burned thinking people were trained like me. Still don't see how some jive ass video is going to make a blind bit of difference. Go fly the crate with a good CFI, these things will be explained in course.

Maybe 6PC could do a video on this. I mean his plane has a pretty simple landing gear system and he always explains things so well.

Yeah yeah yeah. I guess I thought that things like GUMPS were taught universally, and the only thing a pilot really had to add to the mix was gear speed and the gear switch. I always get burned thinking people were trained like me. Still don't see how some jive ass video is going to make a blind bit of difference. Go fly the crate with a good CFI, these things will be explained in course.
I was taught GUMPS when I was in training and it's always stuck with me. I also find myself repeating "3 in the green" out loud when turning base and final. I guess whatever works.

IMHO, get the POH and study the gear system.
Ask your mechanic to print you a page (or few) with the gear system.
Multiple different versions for multiple years help too so that you understand that they're not all the same and you can see the benefits and drawbacks of each.
Buy your mechanic a dinner and ask him as many questions about the printouts as you can, you will learn a lot about the systems.
Other than that, there aren't many YT videos explaining the inner workings, just usual gear swing on jacks or deployment in the air.
Have fun, those systems are complicated just at the right level (not too much, not too little). :)

I think he is trying to understand HOW the Cessna system operates/functions rather than how to fly a retract.

But gear does not have to be added to the mix with a gumps check.
And gumps is generally only used with a complex aircraft, so far from universal.

Regardless.... flow than checklist.

Back