Training Update

ARFlyer

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
ARFlyer
Apologies for not being around the last month or so, I've still been busy with my airline training. I thought I'd give you guys an update for those that know me.

I finished with my systems class last week and passed the test with flying colors. This aircraft is surprisingly automated and the workload is quite low. As an example I can just flick one switch to get the engines running. The entire start up is automated and I can lean back to watch the magic happen.

The most amazing thing is that the anti ice system is 100% automated. If the aircraft detects ice it will automatically trigger the system. All I have to do is to leave the system switch in auto. The joke is we get other pilots jumpseating , who slightly, freak out when we enter icing and don't do anything.

My only hiccup is with the autopilot system. I've never really used an autopilot up until now. So the whole idea of programming the plane to do what you want is still a bit beyond me. My last few FTD lessons the instructors keep getting on to me about not engaging the autopilot.

I'm off for a week before I start full motion sims. The sad thing is that my sims fall on the weekend of Gastons. So unfortunately I will not be attending this year. I tried to talk a fellow classmate into trading sim slots but that fell through. Apparently everyone likes the 6 hour 6:30pm sims and not 6 hour 6:30am sims.

For a bit of humor, put a quarter on the primary flight display in front of the pilot flying and see if he understands that you have next game.

Wait till you fly something that's fly by wire and AT. It just goes where you point it. Feel like AP is on but it's not. Thats weird.

An autopilot usually has two modes. Automatic (fly the flight plan) and Manual (fly current heading and altitude). There are also 2-axis and 3-axis autopilot servo setups. Those being pitch, roll and yaw.

The more complex autopilots can ascend and descend automatically (at a rate dictated by a setup parameter, density altitude and the engine power setting) along with flying a heading and holding an altitude. They can also fly the more complex aspects of an instrument flight plan like departures, holds, and precision approaches down to MDA. Some can even fly the missed approach if programmed.

When under autopilot control you are free to concentrate on other things, but still need to keep an eye on flight progress of course. Some autopilots can adjust trim automatically, some need manual trim adjustments so there is still some work to do. Some servos are not strong enough to fly thru moderate to heavy chop so you will also need to be ready to take manual control back suddenly.

This is a complicated subject, and product dependent but it's a kind of start.

Last edited:
Our sims were 8 pm til 2 am. :hairraise:

That wouldn't be too bad if every sim was that slot. I heard yall are getting 175s. You mind sliding a few over to your older sibling?? :yes::D

For a bit of humor, put a quarter on the primary flight display in front of the pilot flying and see if he understands that you have next game.

Unfortunately my sim partner is younger then me which also makes him the youngest in the company. So I don't think he would get it. I might try it on the instructors console. :rofl:

An autopilot usually has two modes. Automatic (fly the flight plan) and Manual (fly current heading and altitude). There are also 2-axis and 3-axis autopilot servo setups. Those being pitch, roll and yaw.

The more complex autopilots can ascend and descend automatically (at a rate dictated by a setup parameter, density altitude and the engine power setting) along with flying a heading and holding an altitude. They can also fly the more complex aspects of an instrument flight plan like departures, holds, and precision approaches down to MDA. Some can even fly the missed approach if programmed.

When under autopilot control you are free to concentrate on other things, but still need to keep an eye on flight progress of course. Some autopilots can adjust trim automatically, some need manual trim adjustments so there is still some manual work to do. Some servos are not strong enough to fly thru moderate to heavy chop so you will also need to be ready to take manual control back suddenly.

This is a complicated subject, and product dependent but it's a kind of start.

They use to teach the different levels of automation and which level is appropriate for a given moment. However when we got bought our parent company scraped that training. Their method is autopilot 100% of the time above 500'. So they are only teaching which modes to select. Some of the instructors still like teaching the old method which fine by me.

They use to teach the different levels of automation and which level is appropriate for a given moment. However when we got bought our parent company scraped that training. Their method is autopilot 100% of the time above 500'. So they are only teaching which modes to select. Some of the instructors still like teaching the old method which fine by me.

I'm usually the first to semi-roll my eyes when the old-timers start whining about whippersnappers with no hand-flying skills, but even for me this seems extreme.

I loved this video, which I'm sure a lot of you have seen, but I liked the general premise: this stuff is great, but if it acts weird, or the automation or ATC or weather or anything throws you a curveball, just fly the airplane. You're a pilot, you know how to fly the airplane. I can't imagine this type of training encourages that attitude.

Disclaimer: student pilot, may not know what the hell I am talking about.

Sorry we'll miss you at Gaston's Andrew. Sounds like you're having a different brand of fun though!

Flew my first sim today. I discovered that swept wing planes do not like to stall and react very poorly to bad recoveries. :hairraise:

I actually scared myself when my sim partner was doing wake turbulence recovery. I went for the controls before the instructor in the back quietly reminded me I wasn't the CFI. Crosswind t&l suck in a ram yoke aircraft. I almost have to lean my body to get the leverage to pull the yoke over.

I did end on a high note! We finished our assigned items early so we got to play around a bit. The instructor flamed out both engines so I could see if I could pull off a rough power off 180. Landed a bit short of the aiming point but the instructor was quite impressed I made it from 3000' @ 240kts. Overall it was a lot of fun.

Back