Training question

Rayhigh

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Rayhigh
Can a person start private pilot training in a Piper Seminole?

Yes. It will be expensive and time consuming, but it can be done.

I would not recommend that path, though.

Yes. Do it. The rest of us could not do our primary in one.

Please give us progress reports.

As stated, there is nothing in the regulations against your idea. But usually we learn to crawl before we walk before we run. And a Seminole is a very expensive airplane to use for primary training.

Then there is the insurance carrier who will have a big say in this.

May we know the reason you want to go about it this way instead of a typical training aircraft?

Sure, it’s going to be a little expensive but if you got the money go for it. It’s a trainer twin so a good instructor shouldn’t have too much trouble with it.

Sure, it’s doing to be a little expensive but if you got the money for it. It’s a trainer twin so a good instructor shouldn’t have too much trouble with it.
For curiosity comparison... what do schools up your way charge for a twin like this?

most training twins down this way are about $350/hr wet give or take

For curiosity comparison... what do schools up your way charge for a twin like this?

Been a looong time since I priced a rental, let alone a twin rental, think I’ve seen them for a little shy of 300.

If I was going to guess maybe OP is going to buy one or has a friend or family with one?

Regulation-wise, sure. Practically speaking, no, mostly because of insurance issues over solo flight. But with some combination of your own airplane and enough money, I guess even that can be overcome.

$285 an hour is the only one I know of around here (KITH). Plus $65 for the instructor I believe.

They will be out of money for the plane and insurance long before completion.

If he’s got the money for it, can find a competent instructor, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work just fine.

Not how I’d do it regardless of the $$, but to each their own.

If he’s got the money for it, can find a competent instructor, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work just fine.

Not how I’d do it regardless of the $$, but to each their own.

Good luck finding insurance.

Good luck finding insurance - at any price.

I’d bet he could, or just roll the dice if he can handle fixing the plane out of pocket if he bends something. Stats wise very few PPL students ever use the insurance and post PPL he’ll have a private and more than enough time in type.

I’d bet he could, or just roll the dice if he can handle fixing the plane if he bends something.
You do realize 60% of students do not complete pilot training in an SEL? That’s in airplane that is very easy to fly that has very simple systems.

You do realize 60% of students do not complete pilot training in an SEL? That’s in airplane that is very easy to fly that has very simple systems.

You also realize most wash out due to schedule or $$ or something like that, out of all the people I’ve trained I had two who couldn’t make it flying wise. Also you find a trainer twin hard to fly? Frankly I’d wager more people could more easily fly a trainer twin over a basic tailwheel.

AOPA says the dropout rate is 80%. Scheduling, and to a lesser extent, cost, are excuses used by those who aren't motivated.

Thank you folks for answering my question. I was spooked about engine failures and wanted the security of a twin. Renting a Seminole here is $400, but I have a friend willing to share for $100. Concerning risk I read an article today about maintaining and operating a single so there is not likely to be a failure and I also read how a pilot can handle a failure. So now I'm okay with a single, especially since so many answers mentioned the risk of trying too much challenge before I'm ready. Now I think flying a twin with zero time is more risk than flying a single.

Thank you folks for answering my question. I was spooked about engine failures and wanted the security of a twin.

You’ll have more security in a single.

All else being equal, a twin is twice as likely to have an engine failure as a single, and an engine failure in a twin is more challenging to handle because of asymmetric thrust.

@Rayhigh ... where are you at with acquiring your flight medical?

Back