Training Location Help!

Davis276

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Gypsy00
Hello,
I have long been interested in obtaining a commercial license but, am just now able to really truly pursue this. I am from Virginia..I moved to Colorado and lived there about a year. I currently just moved here to Oregon and have been here about three months. So i am physically able to move anywhere in the US i need to. I really am opposing the ATP school and believe I would rather pay out of pocket and train at a small airport (I do understand the drawbacks of each route). My question is...do you guys have any recommendations of training locations. I am really wanting to pay all I can cash before any loans so ideally what I am after is an affordable training location. As far as work I am able to live anywhere as I do work online. I do realize it's a combination of rental rates/fuel/instruction fee/ weather. And I have done a few months of research before posting here but am now ready to ask and get options.

I appreciate any advice you are willing to share!
-Bronson

Florida or Arizona, you can find lots of schools in either location. These are the areas with the best weather. Arizona is prob better during the summer cuz of FL thunderstorms. If FL is an option and summer is your time line look for a school on the coast. Reach out to some schools and find out their rates. Then narrow down you search after u find the price. Figure out their trading schedule, timeline and also the equipment you will be using. Glass seems to be a good idea if you intend to go the airline route.

Other option is to find a local flying club with and instructor. Gets u access to an airplane cheap for personal use, but also many have CFI’s who could teach you the commercial side.

Just saw a story about a flying club in CA San Diego, Plus one flyers

Hello,
I have long been interested in obtaining a commercial license but, am just now able to really truly pursue this. I am from Virginia..I moved to Colorado and lived there about a year. I currently just moved here to Oregon and have been here about three months. So i am physically able to move anywhere in the US i need to. I really am opposing the ATP school and believe I would rather pay out of pocket and train at a small airport (I do understand the drawbacks of each route). My question is...do you guys have any recommendations of training locations. I am really wanting to pay all I can cash before any loans so ideally what I am after is an affordable training location. As far as work I am able to live anywhere as I do work online. I do realize it's a combination of rental rates/fuel/instruction fee/ weather. And I have done a few months of research before posting here but am now ready to ask and get options.

I appreciate any advice you are willing to share!
-Bronson

What part of Virginia are you from? If you've thought about coming back I have a C150 for rent for $99/hr. I instruct or you can select from one of the other instructors that hang out at that airport.

What part of Virginia are you from? If you've thought about coming back I have a C150 for rent for $99/hr. I instruct or you can select from one of the other instructors that hang out at that airport.
South west Va....Blacksburg specifically. But, I could imagine more training opportunities more coastal ( Virginia beach).

Florida or Arizona, you can find lots of schools in either location. These are the areas with the best weather. Arizona is prob better during the summer cuz of FL thunderstorms. If FL is an option and summer is your time line look for a school on the coast. Reach out to some schools and find out their rates. Then narrow down you search after u find the price. Figure out their trading schedule, timeline and also the equipment you will be using. Glass seems to be a good idea if you intend to go the airline route.

Other option is to find a local flying club with and instructor. Gets u access to an airplane cheap for personal use, but also many have CFI’s who could teach you the commercial side.

Just saw a story about a flying club in CA San Diego, Plus one flyers

I have not really thought about Arizona to be honest. But I have been thinking Flordia as i would think there would be alot of cfi's, training schools and such having to be competitive.

I have not really thought about Arizona to be honest. But I have been thinking Flordia as i would think there would be alot of cfi's, training schools and such having to be competitive.
Alex Stone (also known as @freightdog in PoA) did an interesting write up about one of those Florida schools. Link to Story

South west Va....Blacksburg specifically. But, I could imagine more training opportunities more coastal ( Virginia beach).
The benefit of going to Hampton Roads is proximity to the military and instructors with military training.

I'm at FYJ, an hour and a half drive from Virginia Beach.

Mostly puppy mills in FL. It's the last place I would go for flight training.

There are a lot of training options in AZ, and the weather is generally very cooperative. Even in the summer monsoon season you can often get some time in if you go early and plan to be back reasonably early. The only thing you won't get as much of is actual (flyable) IMC. (By "flyable" I mean not a thunderstorm and not icing.)

Back