Training in Experimental?

Uh oh, now you went and said that! :)

I'll go get the popcorn ready........

There are *******s anywhere you look, FAA included. I have had one inspector flat out go after us. However as a rule I've found the guys at our FSDO to be great to work WITH.

The folks that treat it as us vs. them seem to not have such a rosy view of the same inspectors:wink2:

Oh, so only during the prescribed test period (not sure that's what they call it), the 40 or whatever hours (I've heard it varies), it's not allowed over congested areas? Ok - that makes sense. I don't know if everyone does, but I do know that one pilot here moved his plane to another airport for his first 40 hours.

And yes, I do realize that the first 40 hours could not be instruction because it can only carry the pilot. :wink2:

The 40 hour fly off period is called "Phase 1". With experimental amateur built (EAB ) it is usually 40 hours, with E-LSA (experimental light sport aircraft) like the RV12 the phase one can be as low 5 hours. It depends on the inspector.

Once phase one is completed the aircraft can be placed into "Phase 2" allowing normal flight. If there is a major modification the aircraft can be placed back into phase 1 for testing by the FAA after the local FSDO recommends a period of time usually 5 - 10 hours.

Currently only the PIC can fly in an aircraft in phase 1, but we are trying to change that. It would be nice and very helpful to have another pilot in the plane.

Last edited:
Then how does this work??

The FAA will assign a testing area. when testing is complete, you will get the airworthiness certificate and a letter of limitation that does not have that restriction, then you fly it pretty much as any other aircraft, with a non commercial usage restriction given in the FARs.

Not to nit pick Tom, but the AW cert must be issued prior to the first flight. The operating limitations call out the area, time for phase 1, and other limitations for the aircraft. ;)

Basically, it is done on the honor system.

Not to nit pick Tom, but the AW cert must be issued prior to the first flight. The operating limitations call out the area, time for phase 1, and other limitations for the aircraft. ;)

Basically, it is done on the honor system.

There have been some changes to this procedure since I completed an E-AB. (circa 1995) I didn't recall when the AWC was issued.

Does all letters of limitations now include the requirements of FAR 43-D to be completed during the conditional inspection ?

Back