training in a C-172 RG

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
can a student do primary training in a cessna 172RG? Even though it's a complex airplane?
coaching appreciated...
dan

A student can train in anything that the CFI is qualified to teach in. One of my students learned in the family's twin. There's another student here learning in a Luscombe (tailwheel). No rule or law says you must learn in any specific airplane.

Sure. Probably not recommended, but with the right CFI/student it shouldn’t be a problem. Now, if you own an RG and are a student pilot, you may find your insurance rate is sky high, if you’re insurable.

The Cutlass is an excellent trainer. You can do all the training for the Private, instrument, commercial and CFI-A in it.

Sure, it costs more to operate and rent, but it beats switching between multiple airplanes.

I really liked my time in a 172rg. Have fun flying it.

can a student do primary training in a cessna 172RG? Even though it's a complex airplane?
coaching appreciated...
dan

For what its worth, Kurt Russel in the movie Executive Decisions flew a Debonair (a retract) on his first solo.

thanks. I appreciate the replies. I know a 172 is great for student instruction - and I guess the cfi can just leave the gear handle on lockdown... 172RG is a great airplane for alot of my business "missions"... and I have three adult children that want to learn to fly... so might work for their instruction time needs.
Thanks for the replies
dan

Of course you can train in it. Some things to watch for:

1) Make sure your CFI is qualified in an RG. (It would probably be difficult to find a CFI who isn't qualified, but do check for recent experience...)
2) Check your insurance company. It may be more expensive.
3) Check your CFI's insurance company!
4) Cost will be higher if you are renting. If it is a family owned plane, the cost may not be relevant....

-Skip

I trained a guy in a Bellanca Cruisemaster. Had his Tailwheel, High Performance, and Complex Endorsement before he got his private rating.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

... and I guess the cfi can just leave the gear handle on lockdown... dan

No reason to do that. It's only really one more part of the GUMPS check so why not to bring the landing gear into the initial training. You shouldn't learn to not actuate or think about the gear and then later on change that.

I’m not familiar with the robustness of the gear in a 172RG or parts availability. Would a lot of training shorten it’s life significantly or not?

I’m not familiar with the robustness of the gear in a 172RG or parts availability. Would a lot of training shorten it’s life significantly or not?
One would hope not since it, and the Piper Arrow, were the mainstays of complex transition, commercial, and CFI-ASE training for decades.

I liked the RG ,for touch and goes just leave the gear down, so as not to overwork the hydraulics.

thanks for the insight. I see 172 RGs going for alot less than a 172 converted to 180 hp... I'm complex certified, so the airplane would make sense for me to have available for use in my business... and/or give me better excuse and spousal acceptance for another airplane...

Back