Training has begun! (my journey)

I can't wait for the X/C experience. Joe and I fly out of the same school, and as a matter of fact fly the same plane.
I have flown that plane as well with CFI Ben when I was trying out flight schools. I ended but choosing a small club out of Republic due to proximity to work and home.

What days do you fly? I wonder if Ive seen you. Whos your instructor?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I usually fly on Saturday mornings, but I have been slipping in some flying on Fridays as well when I can get time out of the office.

My CFI is Mario Mandolini, a young guy who has over 2000 hours. He just started in January.

I'm trying to become more consistent with my landing, and am having problems with flaring too soon. (Any advice?) I just don't feel confident yet, which is preventing me from soloing. (18 hours)

Hope we can meet some day.

I usually fly on Saturday mornings, but I have been slipping in some flying on Fridays as well when I can get time out of the office.

My CFI is Mario Mandolini, a young guy who has over 2000 hours. He just started in January.

I'm trying to become more consistent with my landing, and am having problems with flaring too soon. (Any advice?) I just don't feel confident yet, which is preventing me from soloing. (18 hours)

Hope we can meet some day.

Hey Frank, yeah Marios a cool guy.. we actually live really close to each other in Queens.

I also had an issue with premature flaring, and really the issue for me was just mis-judging the runway. I felt like I was way closer than I actually was, and in fear of smashing the ground I would flare super early and wind up having to put in power to avoid a belly flop.

My solution was to have Ben (my instructor) do a few landings so I could see what the ground looked like when he flared. It totally opened up my eyes when I realized he was flaring way after the point I expected we would smash the ground. It was just a perception thing really.. possibly the low wings making it feel like I was lower than I actually was.

Of course I dont know if that is your issue, but having Mario do some landings wouldnt hurt.

I had a lot of landing troubles, but one day it all just clicked. Youll get there.

I fly every Sunday at 11, and now some weekdays as I am doing cross countries and night flying. I hope to see you one day.

PPL LOG: 28th Flight 6/15/14

NIGHT XC!

So we finally made this damn trip! It was really a great time, but pretty taxing on the senses. We used all VOR navigation, and it was really cool seeing VORs working in a more practical sense than we used them the day I learned about them. One of my biggest issue I think is just being able to spot landmarks in the dark. My instructor was easily able to see airport beacons, runway lights etc.. but it took me much longer. On the way back, I honestly did not spot the runway I needed to land at until I was pretty much on the downwind!

Do any of you have tips for this? I just see a sea of lights out there...

Anyways, my night hours are done now, so thats good. Now its time to get some more solo time in, and make a few more daytime cross countries.

I also signed up for Gleim online test prep, so I will be practicing for the written starting this week.

My next flight is planned to be a practice area solo, then a trip to a local airport, then XC solo, etc. In between these, when the weather isnt totally solo friendly but good enough to fly, we plan to mix in my remaining instrument hours and anything else I need.

On my way to the finish!

If the destination airport is non-towered, and has pilot controlled lighting (PCL in the AF/D), then you can click the PTT a certain number of times on the correct frequency to cycle the brightness on runway lights. This can aid in picking out the airport as you approach it.

But be judicial in doing this. If someone else is already in the pattern, it's bad form to screw with them like this :rolleyes:

Spotting the airport at night, like many of the skills you are learning, does get easier with practice. Especially picking out the beacon.

PPL LOG: 29th Flight 6/22/14

So this past Sunday was my first solo to the practice area. It was yet another great experience, and I am becoming more and more amazed at how comfortable I have become with all aspects of flying. My radio work felt spot on.

The practice area was resembling a swarm of wasps this Sunday, with constant traffic callouts. My head was definitely on a swivel, and I felt as though I did a great job of managing it. I was able to spot traffic very quickly, and even sometimes before ATC notified me.

Coming up is a final dual XC then moving onto doing my solo XC (after doing a trip to a local airport.) I really do feel like a pilot these days, even though I have some time to go.

Im working with the Gleim online studying to prepare for my written, so I should be taking some practice tests soon I imagine.

Everything is shaping up. Its just a matter of good weather now.

Sounds like your really making good progress Joe. Keep up the good work.:thumbsup:

Excellent work Joe! It's been a beutiful couple of weeks up around Long Island. Certainly makes for some fantastic flying conditions.

Keep up the good work. Where is your long XC going to be to?

Excellent work Joe! It's been a beutiful couple of weeks up around Long Island. Certainly makes for some fantastic flying conditions.

Keep up the good work. Where is your long XC going to be to?
Well actually to correct myself, it's not a long XC. I have to do a long XC solo eventually which will be Islip to Poughkeepsie to Hartford to Islip.

This coming XC is dual to Poughkeepsie so I can become familiar with the airport. Basically its training to prepare for my solo XC to Hartford and eventually the 3 point XC I mentioned.

And yes the weather is great. My solo to the practice area was probably the best weather day yet.
Just amazing

Poughkeepsie is a great airport for training. The controllers are friendly. There are two crossing runways. The hardest part is remembering to call them "Duchess County" on the radio instead of Poughkeepsie. If coming from Islip, I'd probably cross over top of HPN to minimize the flight-time over the Sound, but that might be a problem because you would have to talk to HPN tower to get permission to cross their airspace. Flight Following would be a good idea. Going from HPN to POU, there is a definite notch in the ridge about 5 miles east of the Hudson River. I always used that as a landmark to aim for. Just as crossing the ridge at 3000 feet, you are ten miles south from POU and that is a good place to call in. (So get the weather before you cross the ridge.) You can see the airport from there. I was usually assigned left base or sometimes left downwind for 24. For left base, they would direct me to report 3 mile base. That is about where you cross the power lines. Turn final as you cross the large square warehouse. Be a good neighbor and avoid flying directly above the building at that low altitude.

Have fun.

JoeP, good thread. I just came across it, good job on the progress. I'm also a student pilot on Long Island, getting ready for my first solo coming up in the next couple weeks. The landing issue you were having I had for a long time, almost identical to what you wrote (flaring too much or not quickly enough). But mine were much longer than yours, I think I wasted (or I should say spent... it's never really wasting if you learn something) 20-25 hours to get it, but I recently think I cleared that hurdle. If you ever want to get together for a beer or whatever (I don't know anybody else who flies that I can talk to around here), hit me up. I live in Queens, I think you do too from one of your posts. I fly Saturday mornings out of Republic.

PPL LOG: 30th Flight 6/29/14

So I was supposed to be doing a solo to KFOK this Sunday, but due to intense skydiving and glider activity all over Long Island, we decided to do it together one more time. This was really a great decision, not because of the traffic but because of me just not being too sharp. In my experience, learning anything difficult is always a series of ups and downs as far as progression. Just as you feel like you are getting better each time, there will always be a slight drop mixed in. This flight was definitely that drop. I was just all over the place as far as getting things done in a timely fashion and having a good plan of action for the flight.

I just have to accept that it was a rusty flight and move on. We may make the trip once more before I do it solo, which I think is a good idea.

Joe set back happen- just keep at it. I have to say, that fligh to FOK is kind of a silly flight to make for training purposes. It's too short to get anything out of and you have to do everything so fast because by the time you turn on course you need the ATIS ready at FOK. Why does your instructor insist on that flight? It's not even long enough for XC time? Honestly, to me, it seems like a total waste of your money and gets you very little in benefits considering your regular XC's are going to be to class D's anyway. You should request to go to an unctrolled airport at least once in your training too. I'm not surprised you had trouble getting everything done on that flight.

Re skydiving- its a pain in the neck in the summer months around here. They are constantly jumping. Avoid Calverton and Brookhaven airport and you should be fine.

Joe set back happen- just keep at it. I have to say, that fligh to FOK is kind of a silly flight to make for training purposes. It's too short to get anything out of and you have to do everything so fast because by the time you turn on course you need the ATIS ready at FOK. Why does your instructor insist on that flight? It's not even long enough for XC time? Honestly, to me, it seems like a total waste of your money and gets you very little in benefits considering your regular XC's are going to be to class D's anyway. You should request to go to an unctrolled airport at least once in your training too. I'm not surprised you had trouble getting everything done on that flight.
I disagree. Some of my most valuable flights have been short ones like FRG-BDR, FRG-ISP, FRG-HVN. You learn way more on these short hops than you do for longer ones IMO. Straight and level for an hour doesn't really teach you anything. Short flights teach you time management, multi tasking (being able to descend while getting the ATIS, make sure you're not busting airspace, etc), airspeed management, and other things. Even when I fly IFR to BDR its difficult. I take off, fly the DP up to 3000, get direct BDR, straight and level for 15 minutes, get vectors while simultaneously trying to brief the approach and missed approach, set up the GPS, OBS, talking to ATC through all this, getting the airport diagram out, briefing the taxi plan. Like I said before, you learn how to manage your time really well on these short flights and they are really useful IMO

I disagree. Some of my most valuable flights have been short ones like FRG-BDR, FRG-ISP, FRG-HVN. You learn way more on these short hops than you do for longer ones IMO. Straight and level for an hour doesn't really teach you anything. Short flights teach you time management, multi tasking (being able to descend while getting the ATIS, make sure you're not busting airspace, etc), airspeed management, and other things. Even when I fly IFR to BDR its difficult. I take off, fly the DP up to 3000, get direct BDR, straight and level for 15 minutes, get vectors while simultaneously trying to brief the approach and missed approach, set up the GPS, OBS, talking to ATC through all this, getting the airport diagram out, briefing the taxi plan. Like I said before, you learn how to manage your time really well on these short flights and they are really useful IMO

So true. Yet for a student pilot this is overwhelming stuff. It's just so much so quick and I don't think overwhelming a student is smart. I've flown FOK to ISP about 10 times and it's always a frantic flight. It's just a lot to do in 20 or so nm's. No big deal but just a lot for a person to do.

I enjoyed my trips to KGON during traing. It's a short trip but just long enough to get all things in order without rushing. I'd say that's a much better trip to take from KISP than KFOK- that's really my point.

This thread has been a great read for me, as I'm also in the process of getting my PPL, just a bit behind you. Kind of interesting looking at the order that your CFI did things vs. how mine is doing them and the differences and similarities. For one, mine was really on me to study up and do a lot of the book work and ground school right away. I took my written about a week ago, with only about 10 flight hours logged. We've been working on landings lately, and reading other peoples struggles with the same issues I have been having is at least reassuring, even if I still feel like a mess in those last few feet.

I'm at about 15 hours now and just did our first trip to another airport, which was pretty similar to what you're describing above. I get what you are saying about it being kinda frantic trying to get everything done in a short flight, and I totally overworked myself and missed a bunch of things. However I also learned a lot, and I dont feel that my CFI was trying to overwhelm me, I think he was trying to show me how to plan ahead. On our way to the first stop I was way behind on getting ATIS and calling the airport, and didn't realize I was about to bust the class D airspace when he took control and steered us away. He pointed out that I needed to be more aware of where I was, but also that if I wasn't ready with everything, that instead of rushing I should just turn a slow circle or 2 and make the time to do everything without getting in a panic. I felt like he used the short flight as a tool to teach me how to make good decisions, rather than quick ones. He certainly gave me all the rope I needed to hang myself, but didn't actually let me fall.

PPL LOG: 31st, 32nd, 33rd Flight 7/10/14 - 8/10/14

Its been a while since Ive updated here, but I wanted to drop in and let everyone know I am still at it. Weather/health put me on the ground for a few weeks, but yesterday I successfully completed my first solo to another airport!

I flew KISP to KFOK yesterday, and after some technical difficulties the actual flight went VERY smooth. I cant talk about this flight without first talking about what happened first.. it is kind of embarrassing, but I think I handled it in the best way I knew how.

So I finished my run up and got clearance to take off. As I put power in I noticed I was getting a lot of noise in my headset, but didnt think much of it because when I transmitted it went away. Once I was airborne at full power, the noise was just crazy. I could hear the controller talking barely through the noise, but not enough to get what he was saying. I quickly reached back to grab the spare headset and swapped it in... no change. At this point I was assuming there was something wrong with the radio, and decided I needed to head back. Since I couldn't hear anything tower was saying, I basically told them that I couldnt hear a thing, and that I was going to enter right traffic and land. I explained what was going on, in hopes that they would clear the way for me in this busy airspace. I was pretty nervous not being able to get any communication, but I got back down ok.

Im sure by now many of you are saying "WHY DIDNT YOU FIX THE SQUELCH!?", well yes, that would have been a great idea if I knew it existed....

Turns out it was all the way down, and I had no experience ever using it. I was pretty embarrassed, but as far as I was concerned I was in an emergency situation, so I did what I though was best, and I dont think there was any better was I couldve handled it (short of actually raising the squelch).

Nevertheless I got back in the air and soloed to Gabreski and it went awesome. No issues at all, I felt like a true pilot. I learned a valuable lesson and had a great flight, so I couldn't have asked for more.

Im scheduled to solo to KHFD on Thursday, which is going to be amazing. I cant wait.

Actually, my first thought was, why didn't you try turning the alternator off momentarily?

Some radios have auto-squelch (e.g., Garmin 430). Some have no squelch.

Failing alternators make some really weird noises. And the radios will work just fine for the few minutes you need to turn back and land on battery power alone; just be sure you ONLY turn off the alternator, and not the battery master as well. The engine will work just fine with no electrical system at all.

Glad it was simple. I'll bet it never happens again.

PPL LOG: 34th Flight 8/27/14

So finally, my first XC solo to KHFD! I feel like everything I have learned up until this point, all came together for this flight. To me, this was the true test of my abilities and allowed me to demonstrate that I have not been spending just short of a year learning this stuff without great reward.

The flight went absolutely smooth, and there was no point where I felt unsure or confused. I knew what to do and when to do it, and I was able to get stuff done in a timely manner. The vast majority of the flight was just flying over the sound, looking out the window, and monitoring the gauges. It was very peaceful and relaxing, and exactly what I started doing this entire training for.

I had a beautiful day (although the haze was thick), and it was really a joy to make the trip. The FBO at Hartford was pleasant as always, and they always make you feel welcome.

Honestly theres really not much more to say about this trip.. other than if you are a current student reading this and feeling frustrated, confused, etc, just know that if you get to this point it will all be worth it.

My next flight is a 2 stop XC.. KISP -> KPOU -> KHFD -> KISP

Im super excited.

Last edited:
Joe great to hear from you again. Sounds like you are ready for the XC's! Those are the best part of training- I really felt like a pilot!

KPOU is a great airport too just like KHFD. The FBO there is very nice. I've use the one right under the control tower and they let you stop, use the bathroom/ get a drink whatever it is without charging you a fee. That's a good thing to know. Toughest part of flying into that airport is remembering to call them "doutches tower" not "Poughkepsie tower!"

Enjoy the trip!

Joe great to hear from you again. Sounds like you are ready for the XC's! Those are the best part of training- I really felt like a pilot!

KPOU is a great airport too just like KHFD. The FBO there is very nice. I've use the one right under the control tower and they let you stop, use the bathroom/ get a drink whatever it is without charging you a fee. That's a good thing to know. Toughest part of flying into that airport is remembering to call them "doutches tower" not "Poughkepsie tower!"

Enjoy the trip!

Thanks! Ive actually been to POU before with my instructor in order to get familiar. Its a great flight, but those hills near the airport are scary high!

Thanks! Ive actually been to POU before with my instructor in order to get familiar. Its a great flight, but those hills near the airport are scary high!

Especially for us flat land long island guys! That's what makes it fun-- it's so close yet like a world away!

PPL LOG: 36th Flight 9/18/14 (the big one!)

So this was the mother of all flights, my long 3 point XC. I just got back on solid ground after doing ISP -> POU -> HFD -> ISP. This finished off my solo XC requirement, and I am pretty much ready to start test prep.

It was a beautiful day for this flight, and I couldn't have asked for any better conditions. The flying felt pretty routine at this point, which I assume is a good thing . The most interesting part of the flight was flying a route that I had never been on. POU to HFD was something totally new, and my ability to do it without an issue really made me feel confident in my abilities.

From here on its just about prepping for the exam and taking the written. What a journey!

Great news Joe. You are well on your way now!

PPL LOG: 36th Flight 9/18/14 (the big one!)

So this was the mother of all flights, my long 3 point XC. I just got back on solid ground after doing ISP -> POU -> HFD -> ISP. This finished off my solo XC requirement, and I am pretty much ready to start test prep.

It was a beautiful day for this flight, and I couldn't have asked for any better conditions. The flying felt pretty routine at this point, which I assume is a good thing . The most interesting part of the flight was flying a route that I had never been on. POU to HFD was something totally new, and my ability to do it without an issue really made me feel confident in my abilities.

From here on its just about prepping for the exam and taking the written. What a journey!

Good job Joe! You may have answered this in one of the posts above (I did not read all the posts - sorry!) but how did you do your navigation on your cross-country?

Pilotage, dead reckoning, GPS, VOR or a combination?

Good job Joe! You may have answered this in one of the posts above (I did not read all the posts - sorry!) but how did you do your navigation on your cross-country?

Pilotage, dead reckoning, GPS, VOR or a combination?
Great question. So before my 2 solo cross countries, I did 3 with my instructor. The first was all pilotage with my chart in the day time. The second was at night with VORs . The third was daytime with GPS.

Both of my solo cross countries were GPS. Although on every trip I had a nav log on paper, drew course lines and checkpoints on my sectional, and referred to it frequently despite having GPS.

Congrats on your first flight! I have also recently completed my first flight out of Andover NJ. It is a great feeling and it being my first time in a J-3 I had a great time.

I know I abandoned this thread quite a while ago :)

But Im happy to say that I never stopped flying, and after quite a long time and some time off in between.. I am finally a licensed private pilot :)

Passed the checkride yesterday and it was a great experience.

I thought I would close the chapter to this long abandoned thread!

I know I abandoned this thread quite a while ago :)

But Im happy to say that I never stopped flying, and after quite a long time and some time off in between.. I am finally a licensed private pilot :)

Passed the checkride yesterday and it was a great experience.

I thought I would close the chapter to this long abandoned thread!

Congrats, pilot! Post your checkride write-up for everyone!

Back