Trainer for a tall person?

Briar Rabbit

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rob
A friend of mine has a son that is 6' 8" tall. He and his son want to learn to fly and wondering if a Cessna 150 will be uncomfortable. He is thinking probably so is considering purchasing a Cessna 172 and is asking if this will be adequate? Would a 180 horsepower Cardinal be an even better choice?

Any other options suggested?

Depends in part on if he's short torso/long legs, the other way around, or "evenly split".
I am 6'4" and a 150/152 is doable. A 172 is more comfortable for me. But I'm in the "evenly split" category. My short torso/long leg brother has more problems even though he's the same height.

Tall is one thing. In a 150 it’s a how wide are you thing. If you have broad shoulders it will definitely be an issue. I’m only 6’ but I have wide shoulders. I can fly a 150 but it’s really a squeeze if someone is in the other seat.

Learn in either a 150 or 172. IMHO I can't imagine a 6'8" person in a 150, but have them sit and fly in both and they can made an informed decision. Cardinals are great planes, are nice and wide, but the stabilator takes a bit of finesse on landing from what I've heard.

Get the 3rd class medicals sorted out before they do anything. Then review a few different flight schools and pick on that has the instructors and availability that meet their needs. Learn to fly by renting. Get PPLs, and then buy if they want.

I agree with others that a 150 would be a real challenge. There are a LOT of students at one of the local schools who learn in 172's. He would fit much better in one of those.

Check useful load on the 150/152. A 6’8” kid and an instructor may be overweight without fuel. Approximately 475# useful load = fuel @ 6lbs /gallon AND passengers.

150/152 would be really tough! I did my flight training in 152s but I was a teenager and when I hit 6'4" or 6'5" I could no longer fit. I'm 6'6" now and it limits the planes I can fly.

At 6’4” and 250+ I’ve been in 172, Archer II, and Warriors over the years never a two seater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with all of the above. I’m 6’4” with average width shoulders and a 152 is pure misery. Can’t imagine 6’8” regardless of proportions. A 172 is no problem. If you can find/afford a 182, even better.

Probably not an option, but tons of head room.

Boeing_PT-17_Stearman_%28N746BJ%29.jpg

Not often considered a trainer, but height is no problem in a Mooney. Width is a different issue. If you’re tall AND wide it wouldn’t work.

At 6' 8", I wouldn’t suggest a 150. Unless he’s a gymnast who can fold up pretty small, it’s going to be rather uncomfortable. A 172 will be an appreciable improvement as far as leg and headroom go, but a 182 will really be the best bet.

An SR20 would probably be good.

Legroom would be fine. The seats can be adjusted to slide way back. Width is spacious.

Not sure about the headroom, would need to ask a taller pilot.

A cirrus for a primary trainer? First class but yikes - what, triple the per hour cost vs a 172? Do insurance companies allow such a high priced high performance plane to be used for primary flight training?

A cirrus for a primary trainer? First class but yikes - what, triple the per hour cost vs a 172? Do insurance companies allow such a high priced high performance plane to be used for primary flight training?
Yes. I know of at least one school that has an almost exclusive cirrus fleet and they are very busy. They do have a 172 to rent but it doesn’t get used that much.

Yes. I know of at least one school that has an almost exclusive cirrus fleet and they are very busy. They do have a 172 to rent but it doesn’t get used that much.

Alas students don’t know what they don’t know...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. I live in a different zip code I guess. If you have the money for that all power to you!

Yes. Our local flight school has half dozen SR20s that stay pretty busy doing initial PPL and IRA. They run about 2x the 172s/Cherokees.

High Performance?:eek:

If if he is that tall he probably gotta have some weight to him, unless if he is a real skinny tall. But there is weight limit to the 152.

I am 6’1 and 200 and with a student they would have to be under 160, and I am uncomfortable and cramped. So I don’t do any instruction in a 152.

Yes. Our local flight school has half dozen SR20s that stay pretty busy doing initial PPL and IRA. They run about 2x the 172s/Cherokees.

Our local flight school is similar. There are 2018 and 2016 SR20s that go for $280 and $250 per hour respectively compared to $140 for a 172N and $200 for an F33. The SR20s stay busy, despite the cost differential.

I’ve been in C172s and SR-20s. The SRs offer a lot more than just room (at 6’3 I fit comfortably in a SR-20, not so much a C172)

Back