Traffic Area Conflict Between Airports

Ken Whitson

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
TigerTracker
Yeah, I'm a little rusty on some of the finer points of some procedures.

I am planning an en route stop at Chas. Baker airport (2M8). It is under the Memphis Class B shelf (1800'), but more significantly, its runway is practically touching the Millington Regional (KNQA) Class D space. I would be coming in from the southwest through the Class B. It appears that a normal traffic pattern when landing on 18 would easily run you into the outer edge of the Class D. How would the communications/clearance probably be handled? Would Approach coordinate with Millington Regional? Would I be on my own to initiate comms with Millington Regional when released by Approach? Or is the slight incursion likely to be a non-issue?

Yeah, I'm a little rusty on some of the finer points of some procedures.

I am planning an en route stop at Chas. Baker airport (2M8). It is under the Memphis Class B shelf (1800'), but more significantly, its runway is practically touching the Millington Regional (KNQA) Class D space. I would be coming in from the southwest through the Class B. It appears that a normal traffic pattern when landing on 18 would easily run you into the outer edge of the Class D. How would the communications/clearance probably be handled? Would Approach coordinate with Millington Regional? Would I be on my own to initiate comms with Millington Regional when released by Approach? Or is the slight incursion likely to be a non-issue?

Give Walt a call

Charles W Baker Airport
3870 Fite Rd
Millington, Tennessee, 38053

Ph: (901) 873-1768
Fx: (901)873-2893

Walter Cathey, Airport Manager
Ph: (901) 358-0028
Fx: (901) 358-7229
Email: walterc@mscaa.com

Or is the slight incursion likely to be a non-issue?

That is definitely an issue! You should be below the class B shelf when approaching 2M8 at which point you can cancel flight following or talking to the class B controllers and call up KNQA and advise of your intentions.

Cancel early, call NQA of intentions, switch back to 2M8. Or, just go to Millington. Problem solved. Drink a few at The Brass Rail for me. :D

Thanks all for the info. I will just be passing through, so The Brass Rail probably should not be on my itineraryo_O; I don't have a hollow leg anymore. Baker is a nostalgia stop for me; I started my flight training there, albeit the airport layout was substantially different then.

I'd just stay under the bravo, get transition through the delta and go straight in to 18, or right downwind for 36.

If you have dual coms, one on CTAF, one on Milton, otherwise ask tower for a early change over to CTAF.

Doesn't seem too bad at all.

Did he used to be the manager at Dewitt? Name looks familiar.

I dunno. I just looked up the info on the airport and figured callin' the airport would be a good way to find out how they do things around there. Calling the manager, Walter, Walt was just being 'folksy.' Never heard of the guy or the airport before now.

I dunno. I just looked up the info on the airport and figured callin' the airport would be a good way to find out how they do things around there. Calling the manager, Walter, Walt was just being 'folksy.' Never heard of the guy or the airport before now.

No problem. I double checked after I made that post and I was right. I met him a few times when I was flying out of Dewitt. Nice guy.

Often the class D airport traffic control tower will have a letter of agreement to not require radio contact when operating in class D within the pattern of an airport outside the class D area. Your destination airport manager would be able to clarify wherther such an LOA exists.

Kinda surprised they don’t do a little cut out in the D for the airport. We had that at ARW and traffic pattern in the opposite direction. Still didn’t keep guys from busting it though.

Having just started flying from a new airport in Tampa, KTPF, it's right next to the MacDill AFB Class Delta. In fact, while in the right traffic pattern for RWY 04 you can't do a "full" pattern and remain outside the Delta. Only been here a week and it's not an uncomfortable continuous turn to final to avoid the airspace, but it does seem like some consideration could be made or is made (I haven't actually asked any locals yet since I've had no problems with the approach). I need to look into that!

MacDill airspace is sacred ,when you go into or out of SPG ,you are warned about macDills airspace. Departed Tpa in a light twin,and tower had me stay clear of MacDill.

Back