Tractor rental

I happen to be in the John Deere business. My advise is to contact your local Deere dealer. They should rent small tractors & should be willing to teach you ho to use it. Should...is the operative word in this case.

We offer this service at our dealerships.

I have a Jinma Chinese tractor. Great for what I use it for, but the cockpit was made for tiny Chinese women.....

I happen to be in the John Deere business. My advise is to contact your local Deere dealer. They should rent small tractors & should be willing to teach you ho to use it. Should...is the operative word in this case.

We offer this service at our dealerships.

Given that John Deere now says an owner can't repair his machine that he paid good money in faith when buying Deere now considers that not true and believes only they have the right to repair it. That appears to most to be contrary to the laws of ownership. Would you buy an airplane that only the factory or it's authorized dealers could work on? I think not! It's akin to telling me that I have no right to make the lettuce I bought into a salad.

You're more than likely better off hiring the job out unless this is something you'd just rather do yourself. If you do get the tractor, just spend about 5 minutes through the gears and any attachments to get a feel for it. If you can fly an airplane, you can figure a tractor out pretty quick. Just stay off of slopes, stay away from a spinning PTO and don't drive it with the bucket any higher than it needs to be. And keep kids completely away if you have any. That's my biggest fear with farm equipment. I've taught my kids to never try to come get me if I'm on a tractor.

Good advice. Also good for a new tractor driver is just to turn the thing off completely when you're not on it.

It's tougher than it seems, depending on how particular you are and how level you want it. Also depending on the ground and equipment you have, you may need to break any sod up first. YouTube is your friend!

I drove myself nuts trying to get stuff "really level" at first with my tractor. It takes practice.

Leveling can be done with a tractor. It's nice to have a box blade but it can be done with a bucket. I do a lot of backdragging if I have to use a bucket. The nature of the leveling is also of interest. A simple drag can do wonders on a dirt road or baseball infield.

Dragging is underrated. It works very well. People get all wild with the digging implements and all they really needed was to drag the area/field.

Here is the area. Basically I want to scrap up all the weeds and flatten down high spots. I prepping that area for winter grass seed. That the side yard.

That's box blade work for me, because that's what I have, but with the tines installed to bust that up and kill the weeds, and getting it leveled, that little space would take about ten to fifteen passes for me. But as someone said, if you have access to a disc set, and a seed scatterer, that's about three passes and it's done. Maybe four if you're picky.

Right tools for the job is a big deal with tractors. But you can get away with the wrong tools and do an okay job, too. To really do that right, a seed planter would use a lot less seed to get gorgeous coverage.

How you going to water that? Got irrigation that can soak that area? Also, wrong time of year to get grass to germinate, really... I'd just tear that area up with the box blade tines and spray it for the weeds and leave it until early spring. Around here, the perfect time to scatter or plant the seeds on a dead patch like that would be just before the last spring slushy snowstorm so the whole area gets plenty of water and I don't have to water it at first.

Think like a farmer. You need to tear up the weeds first, make good soil, and then plant at a good time for a best possible outcome.

All good advice. I'm in Arizona so winter grass planting time starts in October.

The area can be irrigated but I'm going to use hoses and sprinklers to get the grass growing real good and the it's irrigation time.

Agree on killing the weeds first.

As far as the tractor is concerned I'm not sure yet.

Given that John Deere now says an owner can't repair his machine that he paid good money in faith when buying Deere now considers that not true and believes only they have the right to repair it. That appears to most to be contrary to the laws of ownership. Would you buy an airplane that only the factory or it's authorized dealers could work on? I think not! It's akin to telling me that I have no right to make the lettuce I bought into a salad.

I see your point of view. A dealership has to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars each year on special tools, diagnostic equipment, & technician training. We have customers that run 60+ tractors & quite frankly, don't have the time or resources to repair their tractors. When a tractor has a problem in the field, we get an alert from John Deere Link telling us what the issue is & where the tractor is located. We can call the customer & fix the issue before serious damage happens to the tractor.

There are advantages to the technology that is built into the modern machines. It all costs Deere a lot of money but saves all money in the end.

I never even knew tractor rental was a thing but I guess it makes sense. If I was OP I might see if I could find a running 8n or 9n I could just buy for a few hundred bucks on craigslist rather than rent but I have tractor experience. The 8n/9n tractors were built before anyone really cared about safety so it's best to have a clue what you're doing on them. They're old so they break down a lot but they're also very easy and cheap to repair.

Biggest thing with tractors is when stuff goes wrong it goes wrong fast. You wouldn't think so since they're slow but you're working in close quarters and trying to get right up as close to fences and things as you can. Or if you're lifting/moving stuff a ton of weight shifted too quickly or in the wrong way can set all kinds of terrible things in motion. Just takes a moment and before you can react, something is torn up or worse.

Back