Tracking an old plane

dweyant

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Dan
I've got what is probably a dumb idea, but...

My grandfather owned a J-3 Cub back in the mid 1950's (not positive on the time frame).

I have a few old pictures that I'm able to get most of the tail number off of, but there is one digit that is blocked by the Horizontal, and I can not read it.

I "think" I've narrowed it down to six planes that it could possibly be.

What are my options for trying to figure out which of the planes it is?

Ultimately I'd like to try and buy (and restore?) the plane, especially if it has just been sitting in a hangar/etc. for years.

Thanks,

-Dan

Oh, and the FAA database that I found only goes back to the mid 1980's for most of the planes. As far as I can tell he sold the plane in the early 1960's.

-Dan

Call the owners of the planes you think it may be or write them a letter and explain your interest, if you can find that info. Check the state's avaition department the planes are in and see if they have any records.

If you've got it narrowed down to 6 planes I'd go on the FAA website and order the aircraft records on a CD for each one. That will have all the registration documentation back to the original owners so you can find your grandfather's registration in there, along with the current owner if its still out there.

I've done this - my grandfather owned a number of planes (at least 6 that I'm aware of) over the years. I've managed to track down the current owners of most of them.

The online FAA database lists the current registrant, so I did the simple thing - write a letter. I kept if brief, but did include a bit of the 'story'. I included my email address and phone, and asked them to respond if they could. Every one did. I was able to get current locations, pictures, etc for many of the planes.

The most important one to me was the Acro Sport II Biplane my grandfather scratch-built. (I helped!). He finished it in the 90's and never flew it (lost medical). I tracked it down, and the current owner is a very nice gentleman in his 70's who takes school kids and anyone else who wants to on flights all the time.

I made a trip to Michigan last fall to see it, fly in it, and we had a great time. We have become friends, and he has told me he is willing to sell it to me when he is done flying it. That, in fact, is the main goal I have for PPL...

So, good luck on your search. Even if you can't definitely find the correct one in the database, it does not hurt to send letters. Most aviation people are pretty friendly with each other!

Dan,
You could post a pic here on the board and see if any members can read the tail number or recognize other info to identify the plane specifically.
I understand if you prefer not to post pics here. Just an idea.

I've done this - my grandfather owned a number of planes (at least 6 that I'm aware of) over the years. I've managed to track down the current owners of most of them.

The online FAA database lists the current registrant, so I did the simple thing - write a letter. I kept if brief, but did include a bit of the 'story'. I included my email address and phone, and asked them to respond if they could. Every one did. I was able to get current locations, pictures, etc for many of the planes.

The most important one to me was the Acro Sport II Biplane my grandfather scratch-built. (I helped!). He finished it in the 90's and never flew it (lost medical). I tracked it down, and the current owner is a very nice gentleman in his 70's who takes school kids and anyone else who wants to on flights all the time.

I made a trip to Michigan last fall to see it, fly in it, and we had a great time. We have become friends, and he has told me he is willing to sell it to me when he is done flying it. That, in fact, is the main goal I have for PPL...

So, good luck on your search. Even if you can't definitely find the correct one in the database, it does not hurt to send letters. Most aviation people are pretty friendly with each other!

That's really cool!

I narrowed it down to what I hope is one of four aircraft. At least if it isn't one of those, the N number has been reassigned to a 182, or revoked on the other six it could be.

I thought about just cold calling the folks, but figured for the $40 I'd just go ahead and get the records for all four of them.

Anyone know how long OKC usually takes to send the CD?

-Dan

If you've got it narrowed down to 6 planes I'd go on the FAA website and order the aircraft records on a CD for each one. That will have all the registration documentation back to the original owners so you can find your grandfather's registration in there, along with the current owner if its still out there.

That.

Good luck!

That's really cool!

I narrowed it down to what I hope is one of four aircraft. At least if it isn't one of those, the N number has been reassigned to a 182, or revoked on the other six it could be.

I thought about just cold calling the folks, but figured for the $40 I'd just go ahead and get the records for all four of them.

Anyone know how long OKC usually takes to send the CD?

-Dan

Yup, couple weeks or so

You might want to try this site:

http://aviationdb.net/aviationdb/AircraftQuery

You can run all kinds of queries. For example, I ran one N-number that I have in a pic of my grandfather's first cherokee - and came back with it being registered to a balloon, a mooney before that, and finally the cherokee - which was destroyed in a power failure on final in Manchester VT in 1971.

Pretty useful stuff. At least gets you closer.

Good luck in your hunt!
Jeff

Back