Touch up paint for Blue 2006 206.

Aldeskeukin

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
It's her Mercedes.
Could anywhere steer me toward a source of touch-up paint for an airplane as above ? I need just a few ounces with a small touch-up brush. Thank You.

Find the paint brand and paint code in the POH for your plane and then visit Finishmaster or another auto paint supplier in your area. They will sell you the matching paint for a fair price for several ounces. Mine was $28 for 4 ounces. Remember you may need some clear coat as well, 800 and 2000 grit sandpaper helps.

If you don’t have the code, they will be able to match the paint from an access panel or other part that you take to them.

Jim

Most small airplanes do not use clear coats. It’s normally just single stage urethane.

If they are small chips, use a small artist brush and fill up the chip.

If larger, you need to feather the edge and best to spray (airbrush will work).

I watched the BMW factory guys do paint chip repair in SC.

Find the paint brand and paint code in the POH for your plane and then visit Finishmaster or another auto paint supplier in your area. They will sell you the matching paint for a fair price for several ounces. Mine was $28 for 4 ounces. Remember you may need some clear coat as well, 800 and 2000 grit sandpaper helps.

If you don’t have the code, they will be able to match the paint from an access panel or other part that you take to them.

Jim

Paint code was not in the POH, so I contacted Textron. The technician there (Denise) was super helpful and looked up my plane to found it had a custom paint job at the factory. She gave me the actual colors and is forwarding the codes for them. The Finishmaster tech said he could match eurethane either with the color code or a sample of the panel. And he also said he could match my black Tesla. So this should be sorted fairly soon if all continues to go as planned.
Thanks all for the assistance !!

Is there a painted inspection panel? That is usually the best way to get a match.

Jim

sandpaper + airplane is crazy, no? It’ll go right through the paint and then the layer protecting the aluminum, right?

Is there a painted inspection panel? That is usually the best way to get a match.

That will probably be what we have to do. As it turns the color we are trying to match is a Dupont color which they (Dupont) has since sold to a company named "aXalta". Initial contact with "aXalta" is not terribly encouraging apparently they wish to deal in bulk. I guess it seems a little odd that one has to jump through these hoops to get some touch-up paint for a late-model 800K+ 206 airplane and Auto Zone has every color for every $25K Toyota Prius ever sold over the last 25 years for < $10. ... Lol.

sandpaper + airplane is crazy, no? It’ll go right through the paint and then the layer protecting the aluminum, right?

The area in question is actually the plastic cap on the empennage. The sandpaper will probably help create good margins. But you are generally correct - it is settled law that taking sandpaper to an airplane is a pretty quick way to total it if you touch a rivet.

Back