Totally aviation-related question!!

Almost guaranteed that you'll have to check it. It doesn't matter what the TSA rules are, ewhether you get to take it is solely at the discretion of the screener on any given day. And recall that some checkpoints - like SFO - are manned by contractors who are bound by both the TSA rules and their own. And TSA doesn't like the contractors so they tend to be a bit tougher.

Or just make a fake bowling ball out of something? Or spray paint a volleyball black? Seems like the fun of the gag will wear off after 5 minutes of him actually having to carry a bowling ball around.

Do they not sell bowling balls where you're going?

I'm sure they do, but its quite the procedure to get this thing prepared....

Last time I did it, I had to drill a hole through the ball to to able to run the chain through it...this was not a very simple task. Additionally, I had to paint the ball, write his wife's name on it, and then clear-coat it. Not terribly complicated, but time consuming....and I wouldn't want to waste the time there doing it. I'd rather have everything pre-fab'd and ready to go.

drill a hole?.....HD or Lowes sells large lags and bolts. No drilling required. :)

Be up front with the TSA agent, let him/her in on the gag and he/she will probably let you through. You will have varying degrees of success if you say "we did this when we went through xyz airport." Sometimes they think it's OK if another TSA agent said OK and other times they think they have to be the toughest around and will reject your item. I used to carry a prepaid mailing envelope for my legal-by-the-rules pocket knife since all TSA agents make up their own rules, now I just don't carry the knife.

We did this to a friend one time and it was a great time, until he dropped it on his own foot and smashed his toes. We just had him do some shots till the pain subsided.

drill a hole?.....HD or Lowes sells large lags and bolts. No drilling required. :)

Yeah. Basically, what I did was create a hole under the surface of the bowling ball that connects two of the 3 holes that are drilled for your fingers. Through that hole I run the chain and connect the chain to itself with a U-Bolt and some lock nuts. Not complicated, but impossible to do without at least a set of wrenches and a drill bit/file.

d042cd84-3e4c-4a94-9ac2-e118f96b59f3_400.jpg

Lag shield & bolt

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Crown-Bo...-Long-Lag-Shield-10606/203374932?N=5yc1vZc2bk

Mail it to a UPS store. Then go and pick it up.

Lame bachelor party gags are lame. Unless you hire a stripper to carry the ball and chain around for him, it'll get old quick. Some bars may not care for your friend to bring a bowling ball and chain into their establishment.

We got an air bnb thing going, so no one will be at the house prior to our arrival...

Thank you for reminding me never to Air BnB my place...

Fedex it to your hotel.

or to a local FedEx store, local UPS store, general delivery to the nearest post office. lots of options. given the general lack of humor amongst the TSA folks I would either check it or ship it.

Lame bachelor party gags are lame. Unless you hire a stripper to carry the ball and chain around for him, it'll get old quick. ..

agreed. I'd rather put the money towards a cheap $3 hooker than a not-really-all-that-funny-and-definitely-not-original gag gift. although, if even one dude even remotely hooks up with a chick because of the ball and chain, then it was the greatest idea of all time.

Back