Totaled?

I would guess that the estimates for repair are more than the aircraft is worth. those little dents are costly to repair wing damage $$ not to mention the prop and engine.
Looks like a total belly skin replacement along with a gear rebuild.. Engine and prop alone are half the value of a 210

Depends a lot on the insured value. I've seen underinsured aircraft with less damage than that get totaled. However that fuselage damage could be substantial. Plus the prop strike they are assuming total engine and prop OH/replacement.

Small iPhone screen, but doesn't look really that bad at all, especially for a cantilever wing 210

"Summary:

Aircraft experienced a single side brake failure while taxiing from the runway to the ramp. The reduced turning ability led to the aircraft rolling off of the taxiway and into an adjacent ditch.

The aircraft sustained significant damage to the right horizontal tail and empennage, as well as damage to the right wing tip. The propeller struck the ground".

It sounds like a few hundred bucks spent on the brake system would have prevented this. Can you see yourself in this scenario?

"Yeah, the right wheel brake has been sticking a little. I'm gonna have it looked at next week". :confused:

While I'm no expert, it sure looks totaled to me. The fuselage has a twist in it, and all the empennage surfaces are damaged.

Throw in the wing and control surfaces damage along with a totaled prop, probable landing gear damage, and engine teardown. It's all over with.

Interestingly, the engine has 128 hours TTSN. There's an opportunity there, I think. Judging from the condition of the propeller, the engine may prove to be OK after an inspection.

From the Air Power, Inc. website:

Continental IO-520-L46B

New

List Price: $62,109
Core Value: $14,500
Exchange List Price: $47,609
Discount Amount: $1,400
Factory Invoice: $46,209

Over Invoice: $200

Last edited:
Quick look thru the pics on the 210....engine, prop, right wing and everything behind the cabin need work. That's several hundred hours labor, plus parts.

Not surprising. The cost of the engines and props is outweighing the value of the entire airplane in a lot of cases. Add in labour to repair the structure and it's no contest. Friend of mine lost his Comanche earlier this year when the gear wouldn't come down. Landed gear up, damage looked minimal, but the insurance company wrote it off and paid him out.

Depends a lot on the insured value. I've seen underinsured aircraft with less damage than that get totaled. However that fuselage damage could be substantial. Plus the prop strike they are assuming total engine and prop OH/replacement.
Exactly. I flew a PA28 a couple years ago that was ‘totalled’ for hail damage. Airplane was in fine shape overall, but parked outside during a hail storm and the owner filed a claim.....

Interestingly, the engine has 128 hours TTSN. There's an opportunity there, I think. Judging from the condition of the propeller, the engine may prove to be OK after an inspection.

From the Air Power, Inc. website:

Continental IO-520-L46B

New

List Price: $62,109
Core Value: $14,500
Exchange List Price: $47,609
Discount Amount: $1,400
Factory Invoice: $46,209

Over Invoice: $200
Remember TCM's has a SB to say what they like to happen after a prop strike, and it says that if the prop must be removed for repair, the engine SHOULD be disassembled and all steel parts mag-na-fluxed for cracks.

How much does that cost, Tom? Maybe $10K? I'm pretty sure that amount would cover the inspection, and also buy new bearings, gaskets, and pay for consumables and shop support.

If it checks out, I would think it could be sold pretty easily for $20-$25K.

Someone will throw those dice, won't they?

Last edited:
Remember TCM's has a SB to say what they like to happen after a prop strike, and it says that if the prop must be removed for repair, the engine SHOULD be disassembled and all steel parts mag-na-fluxed for cracks.

Lycoming also has a detailed Service Bulletin for prop strike (they refer to it as "Sudden Engine Stoppage, Propeller/Rotor Strike or Loss of Propeller/Rotor Blade or Tip"):

https://www.lycoming.com/content/service-bulletin-no-533c

Lycoming also has a detailed Service Bulletin for prop strike (they refer to it as "Sudden Engine Stoppage, Propeller/Rotor Strike or Loss of Propeller/Rotor Blade or Tip"):

https://www.lycoming.com/content/service-bulletin-no-533c
Lycoming also has a very intrusive AD to comply with:

Since AD 91-14-22 was issued, Textron Lycoming has issued mandatory Service Bulletin (SB) No. 475C, dated January 30, 2003, and the definition of a propeller strike has been expanded to include:

• Any incident, whether or not the engine is operating, that requires repair to the propeller beyond minor dressing of the blades.
  • A sudden drop in engine revolutions per minute (RPM) while impacting water, tall grass, or similar yielding medium where propeller damage is not normally incurred.

How much does that cost, Tom? Maybe $10K? I'm pretty sure that amount would cover the inspection, and also buy new bearings, gaskets, and pay for consumables and shop support.

If it checks out, I would think it could be sold pretty easily for $20-$25K.

Someone will throw those dice, won't they?
Really difficult to say, could have a bad crank, I have no idea how much a 520 crank would cost.
nothing wrong? probably 40 man hours to tear down , clean up, shipping to get it inspected, then a gasket kit, to get it back together.

Unless you had a very high agreed upon value . The insurance is going to total it,they are not in the business to loose money.

I can’t be the only one who hits a mellow mood when he sees a good plane put to sleep.

Totaled..??? No way.

Winner..!!!!!!

048e39eb0277da2d6578b3f99f16cb47.jpg

Back