Torrance emerg landing

Discussion in 'Aviation Mishaps' started by Let'sgoflying!, Feb 29, 2020.

1. Let'sgoflying!

Let'sgoflying! Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Taylor
  2. Huckster79

Huckster79 Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Huckster79
    Is there more info on the nature of the emergency? Ouch, but being an emergency probably not the worse possible outcome... im assuming they walked away just banged up a bit?

3. rtk11

rtk11 Cleared for Takeoff PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    rtk
    Whoa! Looks survivable, so hopefully just some bruises and maybe an insurance check in a few weeks. Ouch!

N1120A likes this.
  4. Ryanb

Ryanb Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ryan
    Bummer for the innocent airplanes on the ramp that got damaged.

5. midwestpa24

midwestpa24 Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    midwestpa24
    The one line in the linked article said engine failure after takeoff, so this is probably a result of the "Impossible Turn". All in all looks like he did ok, other than hitting the parked birds, which could have gone much worse.

6. luvflyin

luvflyin Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Luvflyin
  7. pmanton

pmanton Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    N1431A
    I know the lady. Engine failure at low altitude during take off after a T&G. No injuries other than sheet metal.

8. Zeldman

Zeldman Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Billy
    Wow.... flying over a densely populated area like that would scare the pants off of me.

9. asicer

asicer Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    asicer
    FTFY :p

Dana and Zeldman like this.
  10. belbert

belbert Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    belbert
    If that is a video of a deadstick landing dropping from the downwind or crosswind that's an awesome job and good outcome.

JeffB and Huckster79 like this.
  11. Fallsrider

Fallsrider Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Fallsrider
    I imagine that was a pretty serious pucker factor. Glad everyone is OK.

12. luvflyin

luvflyin Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Luvflyin
    From the Ercoupe forum

Today I went up, with my A&P as passenger, to do some T-n-Gs. On the take-off for the third one, at about 3/4 way down the Rwy and ~200-250’ altitude, the engine began faltering intermittently. By 7/8 of the way, it was clear we needed to land and the only possible place within reach to put it down was a large, wide, perpendicular taxiway (taxiway Bravo, at the west end of Rwy 29R, if anyone wants to look up the KTOA airport diagram). I pulled power, made a 90 degree left turn, and put it down on the taxiway — hence "1/2 The Impossible Turn." Unfortunately, despite braking hard, the speed was too much to avoid hitting 2 parked aircraft at the far end of taxiway Bravo & Alpha. My passenger & I were unhurt, though of course shaken, and the 2 other aircraft are repairable, but my A&P said my ‘coupe is not restorable: both wings were damaged, one vertical stabilizer is off, and the belly of the center section rippled. I am very sad at the prospect of losing my wonderful ‘coupe.

This occurred at about 12:20 p.m.. We spent the rest of the afternoon waiting out there on the field while various agencies either phoned me or came out and poked around, about 15 looky-loos swarmed, and news helicopters hovered. A local chopper pilot kindly came over and said he had been in the air over the parallel rwy (29L) at the time and had seen it all, and said nice things about the landing. Airport Ops guys were wonderful, but not allowed to move the plane until all bureaucrats were through investigating, and those seemed to spend most of their time on the two parked planes that were damaged. After 3+ hours waiting in the Ops truck, at about 4 p.m. the FSDO guys finally came over to the Ops truck and (literally) said they’d forgotten that we were waiting for them there. They then interviewed me for about 10 min. and then released the plane to be moved. Ops towed it to the far east end of the airport, where we were told to drain all fuel, and then they would tow it back to my hangar. Barely got all that done before dark, and finally left about 6:15 p.m.. I am home safe, but exhausted, and very, very sad.

13. geezer

geezer Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kruse'n
    Touchdown with out enough runway is hard on planes, but is so far superior to stall+spin, it is success. My compliments. So much better outcome than has appeared in the press lately.

My instructor told me, on emergency landings, try to find a place where you can walk away from the wreckage, planes are replaceable. He then went to great lengths to teach me to pick a better place, and fly in such a manner the plane survived too.

You did an impressive performance of nearly ending with a good airplane, AND walking away. Congratulations. Very sorry the Ercoupe did not make it, I like those planes, friend helped build them, and I have been in the factory.

14. Dana

Dana Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dana
    Rather, a result of not trying the impossible turn, instead turning just enough to hit fragile airplanes instead of solid buildings. Well done, though I don't think the pilot is here on POA, the report above was copied from another forum.