Torque Wrenches

We have our own calibration shop for torque wrenches and pressure gauges.

IME (IIRC) the lab has a "preferred list" in which those tools would also be repaired at no cost to the mechanic, "oddballs" that would no longer calibrate would not be repaired and just retuned to the mechanic with a warning that it needs to me removed from the repair station.

Ever shop has a policy and it may not be the same from one to the next.

At one point I had a Craftsman torque wrench go bad and they informed me that torque wrenches were not covered by the Craftsman warranty. Since then the wrenches have gotten junkier, as has most of Sears. It's Snap-On or Mac for me now. Every once in a while I re-learn the important lesson: "Do not buy junk tools." That was one of the times.

At one point I had a Craftsman torque wrench go bad and they informed me that torque wrenches were not covered by the Craftsman warranty. Since then the wrenches have gotten junkier, as has most of Sears. It's Snap-On or Mac for me now. Every once in a while I re-learn the important lesson: "Do not buy junk tools." That was one of the times.
That's also how I ended up getting my first Snap-On torque wrench. My Craftsman broke and they told me it wasn't covered by the warranty. I have an old Craftsman mechanics tool set that an uncle gave me for a birthday long before I knew how to use any of them, and those are probably both (a) covered by the warranty and (b) indestructible so I'll never need to ask about the warranty.

And dont forget to take into consideration the friction of the nut on the bolt. ;)

Torque to yield, running torque plus a specific value, wet torque with a retorque after a specific time....all depends on what the design engineer wants.

Retorquing after specific time is usually for sealant squeeze out, which is different than wet, or lubricated threads torque, from what I've experienced.

Glenn: Yep, mostly just with sealant, although we do have some that get installed wet with corrosion preventive compound that get retorqued, as they are on items that go in with some type of sealant. The ones that drive you nuts are bolts going through liquid shim on setup, when the doofus that installed them forgot to put release agent on them. We have a few instances where fasteners are put in wet with primer and require a retorque.

Back