Tornado Warning!!???

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
It is the 7th of January and my WX radio just went off and announced that there is a tornado warning. Currently it is over by Popular Grove and will be here, potentially, in 25 minutes. WTF! IT IS JANUARY! We don't get tornadoes in January!!

It is the 7th of January and my WX radio just went off and announced that there is a tornado warning. Currently it is over by Popular Grove and will be here, potentially, in 25 minutes. WTF! IT IS JANUARY! We don't get tornadoes in January!!
Hunker down Scott. :eek:

We're under a tornado watch and from the looks of it, we will have a very stormy night tonight. Oh joy. At least we have a generator now if we lose power. I just wish we had a basement.

We had a tornado pass just 1/2 mile south of our house one year on Dec 22nd. Big snow storm the next day.

Hunker down Scott. :eek:
Wife just called to say the sirens went off by her. She is farther west than me right now so they are heading to the shelter. Things look peachy outside where I am at. In fact the HS cross country team just ran by. Hope tis just passes us by or they are headed to Oz.

It went to the NW of me about 10 miles Scott.
They say it is "training", there are 3 or 4 more lines developing to the SW so it is going to be a noisy night.
Keep an eye on things. According to local radio they spotted two confirmed tornado's in this last bunch out by California MO.

My parent's house has been damaged twice by tornadoes in recent years (w.Tn) - both times in winter.

Btw I am in concourse G @ O'hare right now, keep those reports coming :eek:

We're in the middle of a lightning/thunderstorm, 65 degrees, January 8. WTH is going on.....sigh.

My parent's house has been damaged twice by tornadoes in recent years (w.Tn) - both times in winter.

Btw I am in concourse G @ O'Hare right now, keep those reports coming :eek:
Most of it is past us and not anywhere near ORD except for some rain but the FAA ATCSCC is reporting an average of 2 hours and 22 minute flight delays. YMMV.

Richard,
Are you stuck there tonight?:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Most of it is past us and not anywhere near ORD except for some rain but the FAA ATCSCC is reporting an average of 2 hours and 22 minute flight delays. YMMV.

Yeah I have that site bookmarked, we were delayed in Seattle due to potus' visit to Chicago and now weather. Thunder and lightening here now at ORD. Sigh. But we're only 110 minutes late at the moment. Weather in DC is forecast to be 71 tomorrow. Crazy.

Last edited:
Yeah I have that site bookmarked, we were delayed in Seattle due to potus visit to Chicago and now weather. Thunder and lightening here now. Sigh.
Thankfully Chicago and Illinois went blue last election so POTUS pretty much leaves us alone. If Obama gets elected it will really stink here. Perhaps he will put his house in southern Illinois ;)

Richard,
Are you stuck there tonight?:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Geez I hope not. I love Chicago but hate this airport. If the definition of insanity is performing the same action over and over expecting a different result each time, then that would accurately describe my relationship with ORD :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Geez I hope not. I love Chicago but hate this airport. If the definition of insanity is performing the same action over and over expecting a different result each time, then that would accurately describe my relationship with ORD : rolleyes:
Hey I visit ORD at least twice a month. I completely freaked my wife out one trip when I walked up tot he check in counter at American and said to the guy "Hi Bob how are things did your boy get out of basic training yet?" and proceeded to carry on a conversation like we were old friends. Karen was amazed I knew so much about him, I tried to explain I spend a lot of time at the counter of America each month.

Ugh. Flight cancelled. Can't get from here to BWI due to the line of t-storms. Anyone around here interested in a Chicago - style pie? ;)

Last edited:
Scott, they said on the radio that we had a tornado in January in the 1970s(?). Didja see the lightning up north? They had a warning in Racine, WI.

You know how they say T-storms require a "lifting action?" Temps in the high 60s in January provide lotsa lift. The snow melted so fast it was like Niagra Falls.

The northern stuff is starting to move my way... we just got tornado watches for the western part of the state.

Ugh. Flight cancelled. Can't get from here to BWI due to the line of t-storms. Anyone around here interested in a Chicago - style pie? ;)

If you haven't found one in the terminal take a cab to the nearest Lou Malnatti's. I know there's one in Elk Grove...ah Park Ridge is closer. They're always complaining about the jet noise.

http://www.loumalnatis.com/locations/

Richard,
Sorry, I got busy with the younguns. They needed homework encouragement.
I hope you got to Lou Malnati's. It is definitely the best!:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Here is a picture from the tornado yesterday
doc47829bc68ae7b386195588_thumb.jpg

This is real near 0C0 and about 12 miles west of me.

mike - i dont think the lifting action was from ground heating. I flew over this stuff earlier in the day when it was just strong rain, but still the tops were not above 20,000 feet. Seems to me it was just a fast moving cold front throwing cold air under warm air.

They were rough. We got bounced around pretty well by them while going around them on my flight from PHL to SEA yesterday afternoon. No delay getting out of PHL, however. Well, a slight delay while they kicked a passenger off the plane. All sorts of off the wall comments and misbehavior, but the final straw was when he loudly announced that this was Air Force 1 and his name was Dan Cooper. :D FA bounced him seconds later. Idiot!

Here is a picture from the tornado yesterday
doc47829bc68ae7b386195588_thumb.jpg

This is real near 0C0 and about 12 miles west of me.

They had a railroad tank car derailed by the winds by you. Wowie.

It's not a warm feeling that those - in McHenry and Kenosha were so close to me. I didn't even get a lot of rain. When I went out after seeing the chaos up north while getting home I looked up to brighter skies over my place.

For whatever reason traffic was messed up on the state routes in several areas. We crept along at a steady walking pace for the last 3 miles. I think a train got stuck.

I just got some fairly good news. I got the local guys up on the "lifetime" tile roof and they don't think it's bad. This, when the major roofing company told me I needed a whole new roof. The worst so far is a corner tile that broke and had to be glued.

Last edited:
Back