Top Gun goosebumps

Used to watch them (A-4s) in El Centro in the morning waiting to get on the school bus.
I've had some fun times flying in El Centro. There's a good low level out of there, VR1267 maybe? I don't remember which one but it crosses the Salton Sea then goes up over a big ridge near the shore. It was a syllabus ride in training.

Still get chills watching that Blue Angels Van Halen vid.

I've had some fun times flying in El Centro. There's a good low level out of there, VR1267 maybe? I don't remember which one but it crosses the Salton Sea then goes up over a big ridge near the shore. It was a syllabus ride in training.

Off by one. 1266, Battle of Hastings.

I know, wrong date, but fit the verbal pacing of the quote in my head from High School history as I cut up ONC's. Sticks with me to this day. And that was a memorable ride for sure, cutting across the Salton Sea to the rising ridge lines.

As to the OP, not that scene, but other parts of the movie, when I didn't know any better. But because of that, even though I know better now, I won't shoot the movie down completely, like some of my peers.

Off by one. 1266, Battle of Hastings.

I know, wrong date, but fit the verbal pacing of the quote in my head from High School history as I cut up ONC's. Sticks with me to this day. And that was a memorable ride for sure, cutting across the Salton Sea to the rising ridge lines.

As to the OP, not that scene, but other parts of the movie, when I didn't know any better. But because of that, even though I know better now, I won't shoot the movie down completely, like some of my peers.
I think you're right, 1267 might have been running the same route in the opposite direction. Maybe not, but I've got that in my head for some reason.
Building ONAV charts is quite a memory in itself! Those were long, tedious days. PFPS has spared the younger generation of most of that pain.

Edit: I googled VR1266 and it came up with a couple of YouTube videos. I guess 1267 was just my faulty memory.

Last edited:
I think you're right, 1267 might have been running the same route in the opposite direction. Maybe not, but I've got that in my head for some reason.
Building ONAV charts is quite a memory in itself! Those were long, tedious days. PFPS has spared the younger generation of most of that pain.

Lol! I thought spending days building map books was an Army thing. Man that was a PITA.

Yeah, Falcon View and now the iPad generation are making the process much more streamlined.

Yes, I got a chill. I tried to get the DVD from Netflix, and was told that there's a "long wait" for it. Guess many others, like me, want to see it before Part 2 shows up in theaters.

Yes, I got a chill. I tried to get the DVD from Netflix, and was told that there's a "long wait" for it. Guess many others, like me, want to see it before Part 2 shows up in theaters.

A long wait for Top Gun? Should be easy to get.

I have the VHS version that I got the first day on sale 30 years ago. I have the Laser Disc version still in plastic wrapping. I have the DVD that I purchased in 98, which the early versions in some ways are better than Bluray. I have the Sony HD DVD version that I can't even play anymore. I have the Bluray version (20 year anniversary) and the 3D Bluray version.

Many ways of acquiring Top Gun out there.

A long wait for Top Gun? Should be easy to get.

I have the VHS version that I got the first day on sale 30 years ago. I have the Laser Disc version still in plastic wrapping. I have the DVD that I purchased in 98, which the early versions in some ways are better than Bluray. I have the Sony HD DVD version that I can't even play anymore. I have the Bluray version (20 year anniversary) and the 3D Bluray version.

Many ways of acquiring Top Gun out there.

And you don't even like the movie! ;)

Any idea how the animation was created? Do you suppose it was done by hand, or is there some nifty software that did it automatically?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotoscoping

"Rotoscoping is an animation technique used by animators to trace over motion picture footage, frame by frame, when realistic action is required."

My guess ^

Top Gun goosebumps
Yes, in "Top Gun Goose bumps" his head on the canopy and dies. You got that right.

I get wood....uh no goosebumps.
Yup!

Morning or evening?
Either. :)

The opening scene of the flight deck was always my favorite. The F-14 going into AB with the handlers standing in the catapult steam was a cool shot.
There is something magical about an F-14 being catapulted into the sunset and rolling with that squatty tail .... well either magical or I am allergic because it makes my eyes water every time.
They say that Tony Scott (the director) actually cried when he got that perfect catapult shot.

I will admit to liking Top Gun to the point of being able to quote most of the movie, but no goosebumps on that scene. I think even at 11, I knew that particular footage was BS.

That Van Halen video, on the other hand ... one of my favorite songs set to footage of my favorite version of the BAs ... yup, that'll do it.

Thought it was Tonopah....o_O

Nope. You must be thinking of JWJ. ;)

My name's on a plaque in the tower cab at Miramar. All the controllers that were stationed there when the new tower opened, have their names on it. Going on 20 years now. They kept the famous "Top Gun" tower around for crash crew for awhile. Some years back they removed it.

Nope. You must be thinking of JWJ. ;)

My name's on a plaque in the tower cab at Miramar. All the controllers that were stationed there when the new tower opened, have their names on it. Going on 20 years now. They kept the famous "Top Gun" tower around for crash crew for awhile. Some years back they removed it.

That's cool. Mines on a few AF latrines....

I didn't get goose bumps for the fist pump. Seemed a little nerdy to me. I got goose bumps standing right beside the Pratt and Whitney 200 and 220 checking for leaks at all power settings, especially when we took it into afterburner. A leaking fuel nozzle will get your attention pretty fast. I've got a lot of flightline time on numerous aircraft but most of mine was spent on the test cell/trim pad and the hush house.

Back