Top Gun goosebumps

StevieTimes

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
StevieTimes
Anyone else get goosbumps when Tom Cruise pumps his fist at the airplane taking off alongside him?

I get wood....uh no goosebumps.

Last edited:
Yes.

I was a poor college student and could not afford to even learn to fly. Briefly considered trying to be a .mil pilot, but realized that wasn't for me.

(Most of the "No's" are really "Yes" if you were a teenager in 1986. But, it's not cool to admit it now. IIRC, TopGun provided a huge boost to number of applicants to be pilots.)

Yes.

I was a poor college student and could not afford to even learn to fly. Briefly considered trying to be a .mil pilot, but realized that wasn't for me.

(Most of the "No's" are really "Yes" if you were a teenager in 1986. But, it's not cool to admit it now. IIRC, TopGun provided a huge boost to number of applicants to be pilots.)

Nope. I was 28 in 1986 but overall I liked Top Gun and have watched it probably 5 times over the past 31 years. But my no answer was in response to the question about getting goosebumps at that particular scene and to be honest, I don't really care for the song. Now, I am not a Cruise hater as some on here seem to be. In fact, I have enjoyed a good number of his movies. But Maverick was far from my favorite character in the movie even though he was the central one. Viper, Goose, even Ice Man were more likable characters in my mind.

too old.

28 in 1986 puts you well beyond "teenage".

I remember the 80s as a high schooler. Yeah... this was an awesome movie.

Nope. I was 28 in 1986 but overall I liked Top Gun and have watched it probably 5 times over the past 31 years. But my no answer was in response to the question about getting goosebumps at that particular scene and to be honest, I don't really care for the song. Now, I am not a Cruise hater as some on here seem to be. In fact, I have enjoyed a good number of his movies. But Maverick was far from my favorite character in the movie even though he was the central one. Viper, Goose, even Ice Man were more likable characters in my mind.

Mine was the Squadron Commander, played a cool part. Never got goosebumps though, just wood.

Last edited:
No goosebumps although I do like the movie.

He's on 24L in that scene as well. Not gonna happen. The other scene, driving along side the approach lights for 24R not realistic either.

Last edited:
That Archer scene is freaking awesome.

I was only 3 when Top Gun was released, and didn't see it until the 90's when I was old enough for a movie like that. I'm not ashamed to say that I still love that movie! It's not accurate and the acting isn't great, but it's still good. I want some butts!!!!!!!!!

Came out in '86, I got my license in '92. We were still heavily quoting it.

Walk out to plane? "I feel the need.... for speed."

solo in pattern while instructor is in the 172 with another student? "Tower, this is Ghost Rider, requesting a flyby." He'd answer: "Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full." (Bonus: He had a dad who was an airline pilot, and had inherited the "pilot voice".)

Screw up a landing? "The defense department regrets to inform you that your sons are dead because they were stupid."

etc.

Between that and Airplane! you could probably carry on a detailed aviation conversation with just quotes.

The opening scene of the flight deck was always my favorite. The F-14 going into AB with the handlers standing in the catapult steam was a cool shot.

Might be the best shot of all time. There may never be one more awesome.

Between that and Airplane! you could probably carry on a detailed aviation conversation with just quotes.
Top Gun quotes were a thing when I was in high school. Artfully injecting an apt Top Gun quote into the conversation was a skill we valued.

The opening scene of the flight deck was always my favorite. The F-14 going into AB with the handlers standing in the catapult steam was a cool shot.

I think the movie does a excellent job with the visual aspect but can't compare to the noise, heat, smell and pure violence of it all in real life.

IMG_1426.JPG

Anyone else like to pretend that they're Maverick when they fly, or am I the only one?

I think the movie does a excellent job with the visual aspect but can't compare to the noise, heat, smell and pure violence of it all in real life.

View attachment 56677
You're right. Each engine has its own sound and rumble. To be 20-30 feet away with a jet in tension, in full AB or mil power is pretty awesome. Some of them will make your insides shake, and then when they go off the end, the sound disappears. It's amazing to see how accustomed the deck crew gets to operating within feet of the turning engines. You learn to run under the nozzles to avoid the jet blast. Kind of scary at first, but you quickly get used to it. I always wondered what would happen if you didn't get close enough underneath and your head caught the blast. Never saw it happen but it was often my thought. The flight deck crew all know the difference in a puckered and an open nozzle. It isn't unusual for someone to get tossed about if a pilot closes them without clearing behind.

Wait a minute, I'm starting to sound like John Wayne 65th! No worries though, I won't be posting pics of my battle scars. But I might go dig up my Ray Bans and dog tags for old times sake.;)

Early in my career I was a store manager in a mall. Right outside my store was a kiosk with a guy selling projection TVs and surround sound systems. He had Top Gun playing on a loop. Hour after hour... Day after day... Week after week... No, not again. I beg of you. I'll do anything. Just don't play Top Gun again!

You're right. Each engine has its own sound and rumble. To be 20-30 feet away with a jet in tension, in full AB or mil power is pretty awesome. Some of them will make your insides shake, and then when they go off the end, the sound disappears. It's amazing to see how accustomed the deck crew gets to operating within feet of the turning engines. You learn to run under the nozzles to avoid the jet blast. Kind of scary at first, but you quickly get used to it. I always wondered what would happen if you didn't get close enough underneath and your head caught the blast. Never saw it happen but it was often my thought. The flight deck crew all know the difference in a puckered and an open nozzle. It isn't unusual for someone to get tossed about if a pilot closes them without clearing behind.

Wait a minute, I'm starting to sound like John Wayne 65th! No worries though, I won't be posting pics of my battle scars. But I might go dig up my Ray Bans and dog tags for old times sake.;)

Yep. Right after I took that Tomcat shot, the next one was sitting there in tension. ABs roaring, my insides rattling, heat, fumes etc. All of a sudden a huge flash from I believe his starboard engine and then complete silence. JBD went down and they taxied into parking. Don't know if it FOD'd out, or just the TF-30s doing their thing. :D

lol. that's awesome. I just assumed that was some random image from the 'net.

An F14 is a bit woodish to start with.
propel it off the end of a big boat, watch it do barrel rolls, and shoot other planes....

excuse me, I have to go to the bathroom

Anyone else like to pretend that they're Maverick when they fly, or am I the only one?

Nope, just you. Personally, I imagine myself as Jake Preston on every flight!

Yep. Right after I took that Tomcat shot, the next one was sitting there in tension. ABs roaring, my insides rattling, heat, fumes etc. All of a sudden a huge flash from I believe his starboard engine and then complete silence. JBD went down and they taxied into parking. Don't know if it FOD'd out, or just the TF-30s doing their thing. :D
I didn't realize you took that pic, that's a good shot. That's a Checkmates (VF-211) jet. What timeframe was that? They were the last with the TF-30s. Everyone else had the GEs.
The 30s usually wouldn't stall with the power set, it was most often with power changes. But FOD also wasn't uncommon on the flight deck, so that may have been the problem. A compressor stall was allowed as long as it didn't overheat and it cleared. I think a pop-stall on run-up would require a throttle-back and a reattempt, but I'm not certain.
Edit: I notice it has the old FLOLS lens so it must have been taken pre-2004.

I didn't realize you took that pic, that's a good shot. That's a Checkmates (VF-211) jet. What timeframe was that? They were the last with the TF-30s. Everyone else had the GEs.
The 30s usually wouldn't stall with the power set, it was most often with power changes. But FOD also wasn't uncommon on the flight deck, so that may have been the problem. A compressor stall was allowed as long as it didn't overheat and it cleared. I think a pop-stall on run-up would require a throttle-back and a reattempt, but I'm not certain.
Edit: I notice it has the old FLOLS lens so it must have been taken pre-2004.

1999 timeframe. I was thinking VF-154 was the last A model squadron. Maybe second to last???

1999 timeframe. I was thinking VF-154 was the last A model squadron. Maybe second to last???
I forgot about them. They were the Japan squadron during my time-frame. 211 and 154 remained A-models to the end. I don't know who made the switch to Super Hornets first, but you're probably right. It was probably VF-154.

If I understand the OP's question, I must answer 'Negative Ghost Rider.'

As Dr Seuss might have said, I do not like him in a military academy (Taps), I do not like him in a prep school (Risky Business), I do not like him flying planes (Top Gun), I do not like him tending bar (Cocktail), I do like him driving cars (Days of Thunder), I do not like him as spy (Mission Impossible rip off ******** series), I do not like him as a nazi (Valkyrie) , I do not like him as a future cop (Minority Report). I do not like him, Sam I am.

Yes, I've seen all of movies listed... I will admit I enjoyed The Firm and A Few Good Men.

Damn, I almost forgot... "I'm gonna hit the brakes and he'll fly right by" Repeat as needed for effect. Barf.

Since we're transitioning to the Blues and A-4s. ;) Used to watch them (A-4s) in El Centro in the morning waiting to get on the school bus.

Back