Top 5 questions to ask a new CFI

Bob Roberts

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bob Roberts
Hey all. I'm looking at doing a new lesson where we look at the new student pilots hiring a CFI for the first time. What is your recommendations for what those students should ask?

Thanks,
Bob Roberts

“What should I know about the Medical process before applying for my first medical?”
Or
“Explain the differences between a Medical, BasicMed, and Sport Pilot?”

“Do you have a syllabus for this training, and can I see it?”

I would assume some of the questions are obvious by appearance. Old guys like me are not headed for the airlines!

1) How often can you fly assuming we have the weather and aircraft?
2) What's your favorite memory from instructing or aviation?
3) Can I yell at you too? (Kidding here. I flew with enough screamer instructors in the Navy that I would never put up with an unpleasant one in GA)
4) What do you think the hardest thing in aviation there is to teach? (PPL or instrument individual skill)
5) What aspect of flying do you like least?

“What should I know about the Medical process before applying for my first medical?”
Or
“Explain the differences between a Medical, BasicMed, and Sport Pilot?”

“Do you have a syllabus for this training, and can I see it?”
Ya, that Medical vs BasicMed is a huge one! Can really help a lot of people out. Good one to discuss in a longer video all by itself!

I would assume some of the questions are obvious by appearance. Old guys like me are not headed for the airlines!

1) How often can you fly assuming we have the weather and aircraft?
2) What's your favorite memory from instructing or aviation?
3) Can I yell at you too? (Kidding here. I flew with enough screamer instructors in the Navy that I would never put up with an unpleasant one in GA)
4) What do you think the hardest thing in aviation there is to teach? (PPL or instrument individual skill)
5) What aspect of flying do you like least?
These are some good ones. Thanks for sharing.

How long will you be around before jumping to the next job in aviation?

Are you old enough to drive.??

Ok, kidding on that last one..... a little. :lol:
Both are actually pretty good. My first CFI was around for 4 hours before going to a middle east airline.

1. Do your kids need new shoes?
2. When was the last time your car needed a major repair?
3. How many kids are in college?
4. Do you have 1,200 ME?
5. Do you have 1,200 SE?

• How many students have you gotten to a successful checkride?
  • What percentage of your students have gotten to a successful checkride?
  • Do you understand that regardless that your state (and possibly Congress in the near future) considers Marijuana to be a recreational drug, that the FAA does not? And the FAA treats it just as seriously (possibly more seriously) that alcohol?

https://www.youtube.com/robertroberts - It's kind of a non official Civil Air Patrol channel but CAP does advertise it as well and most the content is for GA and Aerospace Education. Started it in April when COVID hit and I couldn't teach in person.

This is POA. I think you understand it. We are all about aviation. And barbecue, and everything in between.

This is POA. I think you understand it. We are all about aviation. And barbecue, and everything in between.
What's POA? I searched online and only found Power of attorney :)

Never mind. It's the name of the Forum.. I'm a little slow.

• How many students have you gotten to a successful checkride?
  • What percentage of your students have gotten to a successful checkride?
  • Do you understand that regardless that your state (and possibly Congress in the near future) considers Marijuana to be a recreational drug, that the FAA does not? And the FAA treats it just as seriously (possibly more seriously) that alcohol?
I like the first 2. The third on I know you were being sarcastic. I just couldn't think of a remake of Cheech and Chong "Up in smoke", Cessna edition :)

How many of your students would recommend you as a flight instructor? Can I speak to them?

What is your greatest weakness as an instructor?

Which is better ... Mooney or Bonanza? ;)

Q1: Do you know what a syllabus is and do you utilize one that I will have access to from day 1 to understand how we’re going to progress to a checkride?

Q2: Are you going to teach to ACS standards or your standards?

Q3: How vested are you in making sure I’m both proficient and prepared for the checkride?

Q4: Tell me about your worst student and how you adapted to make them successful.

Q5: Tell me about your best student and why you were the limiting factor in their progression.

Extra credit: How many students have fired you and vice versa?

Five Questions:

‘Condition inspection’ versus ‘annual inspection’ versus ‘100 hour’: compare and contrast.
ACS or PTS - which do you prefer?
Fast, cheap or good? Pick Two
61 or 141?
A safety directive is neither a safety nor a directive, discuss...

Five Questions:

‘Condition inspection’ versus ‘annual inspection’ versus ‘100 hour’: compare and contrast.
ACS or PTS - which do you prefer?
Fast, cheap or good? Pick Two
61 or 141?
A safety directive is neither a safety nor a directive, discuss...

2bbb0aec02522ab30ab32d5677aa96b2.jpg

Q1: Do you know what a syllabus is and do you utilize one that I will have access to from day 1 to understand how we’re going to progress to a checkride?

Q2: Are you going to teach to ACS standards or your standards?

Q3: How vested are you in making sure I’m both proficient and prepared for the checkride?

Q4: Tell me about your worst student and how you adapted to make them successful.

Q5: Tell me about your best student and why you were the limiting factor in their progression.

Extra credit: How many students have fired you and vice versa?
I can see setting up a bonus funny section of the video where the CFI is under heavy lights being interrogated lol Very good questions though.

New students don't know what they don't know... can't help you with the questions.

"Is it OK to fly with another instructor, just to see if I like their style better?"
(and *fire* any CFI that answers "no" to this question...)

"Is it OK to fly with another instructor, just to see if I like their style better?"
(and *fire* any CFI that answers "no" to this question...)

Sure you can. And while you are flying with the other CFI it is OK for me to fly with a new student just to see if I like them better than you and fill your slot in my training schedule.

Last edited:
Sure you can. And while you are flying with the other CFI it is OK for me to fly with a new student just to see if I like them better than you and fill your slot in my training schedule.
Lol. You should always give that response when asked. It will keep the number of students exposed to you at a minimum.

Back